Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Bekking
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
This is the usual question for just about any non 2 player only game. However, this game in particular doesn't seem like it'd be as much fun with just 2. The ? wizard cards would just cancel out, you can't attempt to get no treasure or monster card, and something else too.

Whenever I see # of players 2-4 and
best with 3,4, I think , "this must not be too good with two".

Just wondering.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed playing this as a 2 player game.
While it is definitely a better game with more players it still works pretty well with 2.

I think the biggest difference is the fact that you always get either the monster or the treasure (as you point out) so there is no 'sitting in the middle'.
If you end up with a few monster cards and don't get the 'trophy' treasure you can finish with a pretty lousy score.

I'd love to see a variant or an expansion to make a 2 player game more appealing but I'd still recommend giving it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for the reply. I am considering this game, but solely as a 3 player it looks like (I don't have occasion to play games with 4 any longer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Coggins
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While better with 3 or 4, I think this still plays well as a 2 player game. The biggest difference is the strategy, since you'll always either get a monster card or a treasure card.

So you really have to decide which of the three treasure cards you want the most and which monster card you want the least. Rarely will you find yourself in a situation where you get all three treasure cards.

There is a funny situation where a corrupt treasure emerges. Sometimes you'll find yourself purposely losing to get the -1 monster card instead of the -2 corrupt treasure card.

So 2 player is still fun, just in a different way than the 3-4 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is ok with 2 players, but you then miss the part of the game when a player/players will be in the middle and get nothing on the three floors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played this with 2 as well as with 3 and I would agree with everything said by previous posters.

It is a fine 2P game but it plays so differently than with more players since you will always get a card. You will have to develop different strategies for a 2P game than you use in a 3 or 4.

I enjoy the game and wouldn't turn down a 2P game (especially because it is so quick) but I definitely would try and get more players for it (like at a game meetup) since there are many other games that are only for 2 or multiplayer games which play better for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.