Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on my own version of the Power Grid Supply cards... here are some samples:

USA 4P

USA 2P

China 3P

Anybody willing to test verify the data?
BTW, I'm also working on a "Do not cross" area randomizer deck, so, this will use some shared elements.

On the icons:
- crossed out plug icon: how many power plant cards should be randomly removed before playing (note that china doesn't randomize the cards, so, there goes a star to remind that a special rule is in place)

- the "do not cross" icon: tell you how many areas are off-limits for that amount of players (it works better this way with the aforementioned cards)

- the 1/2/3 disc: it's a reminder of how many sub-stations are needed to reach Step 2

- the house with 'end': reminder of how many sub-stations are needed to trigger the game's end.

edit: just changed the images to the actual images on BGG

edit2: changed the Step 2 icon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool to me - well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, but...

endou_kenji wrote:
- the 1/2/3 disc: it's a reminder of how many sub-stations are needed to reach Step 2

You should highlight the 2 wedge, not the 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Looks great, but...

endou_kenji wrote:

Yea, I thought that could be a bit misleading... actually, it's not a highlight. It was supposed to show that both spaces 10 and 15 are open for building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are absolutely amazing. Not only a great idea, but a perfect look to them as well. I look forward to the complete set, and I would be glad to help look over/check them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Smith
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
Looks great, but...

endou_kenji wrote:

Yea, I thought that could be a bit misleading... actually, it's not a highlight. It was supposed to show that both spaces 10 and 15 are open for building.

Since the newish step 3 card has a 3 inside a circle perhaps it should be a 1 inside a circle and a 2 inside a circle with an arrow going from the 1 to the 2. The arrow shows the transition from step 1 to step 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe another icon in the bottom right corner that shows the maximum amount of power plants a player may own. I know that this only affects a 2-player game but I thought I'd mention it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
Maybe another icon in the bottom right corner that shows the maximum amount of power plants a player may own. I know that this only affects a 2-player game but I thought I'd mention it.

That space is already reserved for the special rules reminder (just a minor icon reminding you of a special rule enforcement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozmatt wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
Looks great, but...

endou_kenji wrote:

Since the newish step 3 card has a 3 inside a circle perhaps it should be a 1 inside a circle and a 2 inside a circle with an arrow going from the 1 to the 2. The arrow shows the transition from step 1 to step 2.

Yea, I thought about that as well, when I was browsing my new power plant deck, just was being lazy bout scanning it =p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Korea card is going to look a little crowded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
The Korea card is going to look a little crowded

I have them split into North and South Korea... there's no way around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
These look awesome. How close are you to being done with a full deck? And are you including cards for Quebec and BW? I was considering doing something like this myself, with the Artscow sale that's going on through tomorrow, but if your deck is close to done, I'll gladly order it instead!

Edit: Since I own every available map so far (except Quebec / BW), I'll be happy to double check your numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This looks awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect artwork to match the game. Great job!

I agree that the Step 2 trigger icon is a bit misleading.

When you're done, can you create a file that can be printed on business card paper? Then it could be printed off on a nice glossy, fairly thick stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are already planning to put special rule reminders in the lower right corner, maybe you could move the "Do Not Cross" box to the upper right? This would give you more room for special rule stuff.

I also think this makes more sense because many of the special rules involve removing or changing plants in the deck so to have the special rules broken off from the remove plants seems odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
These look awesome. How close are you to being done with a full deck? And are you including cards for Quebec and BW? I was considering doing something like this myself, with the Artscow sale that's going on through tomorrow, but if your deck is close to done, I'll gladly order it instead!

Edit: Since I own every available map so far (except Quebec / BW), I'll be happy to double check your numbers.

The deck is basically done, just need a few tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're open to suggestions, I'd like to see player counter color coding, where there might be a shaded background around the player dots of some sort. This would make it a little easier to glance through cards for player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, I would suggest making this compatible with the nandeck setup, specifically this file:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52244/power-grid-resou...
That way people can generate either one of the decks based on one set of verified source data. Also, people can generate the decks as a PDF or as image files.
Plus it would allow people to customize the card as they see fit, such as adding some colors for different players, or doing the two player 4 power plant rule change (which I don't see much need for).

BTW, I love how you've themed the cards! Is this something you plan to get an artscow deck for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed the Step 2 icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgeetee wrote:
If you're open to suggestions, I'd like to see player counter color coding, where there might be a shaded background around the player dots of some sort. This would make it a little easier to glance through cards for player counts.

I thought about that, but people get confused as it implies, for some, that those are the colors that must be used by the players (and it gets confusing because the player colors are SO CLOSE to the area colors).

Yargo wrote:
If you haven't already, I would suggest making this compatible with the nandeck setup, specifically this file:
That way people can generate either one of the decks based on one set of verified source data. Also, people can generate the decks as a PDF or as image files.
Plus it would allow people to customize the card as they see fit, such as adding some colors for different players, or doing the two player 4 power plant rule change (which I don't see much need for).

Honestly, I've already spent over 8 hours on this project... I don't even know what nandeck is, and don't really want to have even more work to do (I'm still designing the special icons and the area cards, so, there's still some stuff to do).

Yargo wrote:
BTW, I love how you've themed the cards! Is this something you plan to get an artscow deck for?

Thanks!
I planned to output it in both PDF and JPG formats. Since I don't use ArtsCow (I have a pretty good home printer with a CIS attached), I won't do it, but I'll output the JPGs for those who are willing to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
Yargo wrote:

Honestly, I've already spent over 8 hours on this project... I don't even know what nandeck is, and don't really want to have even more work to do (I'm still designing the special icons and the area cards, so, there's still some stuff to do).

I don't blame you.

Are you using photoshop? Someone could make nandeck files from the graphics bits, so if you made either the PSD file, or a blank card graphic available, someone could do the nandeck script from there. They could customize that card in anyway they wanted, and then regenerate the cards from the script.

So here's what nandeck is most often used for here on BGG:
I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play?
The idea is that nandeck is a scripting thing to let you generate cards where you just setup a layout for one card, and run a script to generate the rest. It can do other things besides cards, such as hexes, or tiles or anything really. It can output as a PDF, or as image files.

The author made an interface to get your collection data from BGG so you can generate and print a card for every game you own. One can use that to help figure out what games to play (like put all the games cards that are recommended for 5 players in a stack and pick from that stack if there is a 5 player group). I have a friend who put those cards into a binder, so people can flip through and see all the games he owns.

Anyway, a BGG admin made a setup for that program (including a script) for a set of power grid stocking cards (the link at the top of this post). I just finished verifying all the data in that file, because I was thinking of getting a deck printed at artscow. His file even includes data for the upcoming power grid map expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
endou_kenji wrote:
Yargo wrote:

I don't blame you.

Are you using photoshop? Someone could make nandeck files from the graphics bits, so if you made either the PSD file, or a blank card graphic available, someone could do the nandeck script from there. They could customize that card in anyway they wanted, and then regenerate the cards from the script.

So here's what nandeck is most often used for here on BGG:
I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play?
The idea is that nandeck is a scripting thing to let you generate cards where you just setup a layout for one card, and run a script to generate the rest. It can do other things besides cards, such as hexes, or tiles or anything really. It can output as a PDF, or as image files.

The author made an interface to get your collection data from BGG so you can generate and print a card for every game you own. One can use that to help figure out what games to play (like put all the games cards that are recommended for 5 players in a stack and pick from that stack if there is a 5 player group). I have a friend who put those cards into a binder, so people can flip through and see all the games he owns.

Anyway, a BGG admin made a setup for that program (including a script) for a set of power grid stocking cards (the link at the top of this post). I just finished verifying all the data in that file, because I was thinking of getting a deck printed at artscow. His file even includes data for the upcoming power grid map expansion.

It's 100% Illustrator

Now I got what you said... I knew "I Don't Know..." but never really used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
It's 100% Illustrator

I don't use illustrator much, how hard would it be to save it as a photoshop, or save the card image (without any text) as a jpg/png sorta thing?

Also, I noticed you have fallout and shadowrun fan microbadges, did you know that both shadowrun and wasteland 2 have a kickstarter project going on right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
These look amazing! Well done! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I think these are great, but I do have some feedback that you can take or leave.

1) The "Step 2" and "End" icons on the right bother me because the icons are not consistent (one shows a weird lightning thing, the other a house), but both are basically showing similar information (how many houses needed to trigger an event).
[POSSIBLE FIX]
(Now that I look at this image closer, the upper-left and lower-right might be the best combination.)

2) Also, at first I did not notice the icons on the left as indicators for the number of players. The reason for this is that these icons blend into the background because they look similar to the design on the upper right of the resource card. Maybe this is intentional?

Again, take or leave and sorry for the crappy image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.