Popular Tags: [View All]
Agus Prajogo
Indonesia
Malang
East Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
I created my first custom card for our beloved game.

Is this card playable? Or will it break the game?

If you're interested with the card creation process, you may read my blog entry about this card here: http://www.choppic.com/blog/elfish-beast-tamer/

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice card!!! Great Job.

1 - I think it's best to limit the ability: Only ONE monster can be mesmerized each time.

Also i am concerned that a lot BIG monster have low threat but high engagement cost.
Example Hill Troll got only one....that means that by the second turn you can have him by your side....this is also true to many more....

2 - You HAVE to choose a sphere for this card to belong to......Neutral cards are always powerful because they can fit into any deck..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Variant cards are a big no-no for me. That said, I think this is an interesting idea (that needs further tweaking). I would not be that surprised if we saw something similar to this one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like the idea, but I think threat is the wrong metric to use for the power of enemies. Maybe the sum of their threat, attack and defense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Birner
Germany
Bayreuth
flag msg tools
He's no good to me dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea and outstanding artwork! Thumbs up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
To defend the idea, it only works on Creatures. So the threat idea seems about right. It does not seem overpowered at all since most quests are not Creature-heavy thus far. If the idea (or similar) ever come through, they will think twice about what threat the Creatures should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like jakub just said, I believe that custom made player cards are tricky in terms of disrupting the balance of the game. However I have no problem with custom made scenarios, I even think that some of them are way better and much more fun than many APs (Phoenix #3, I'm looking at you!).

Back to the topic, I really like the mechanic that you are presenting here, and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar is being brewed by the designers in which you gain control of an enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agus Prajogo
Indonesia
Malang
East Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the compliments

I want to promote my artwork with this custom card.
Does anyone know how to contact FFG?
It'd be great to actually draw a real card for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Deviantart.com? It might be a good advertising space. There are a lot of official artworks on that page. http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&q=lord+of+the+rin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Meyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it.

I think it is better to have cleaner text and not worry about hypnotic tokens. The effect is already quite variable as it is, relying on the Creature keyword. Also, I think it is better thematically to require the active player to engage the enemy if they lose control.

My suggestion:

Quote:

You may choose not to ready Edhelore.

Action: Exhaust Edhelore to take control of a Creature in play and it becomes an ally with 0 willpower while under your control. If Edhelore leaves play or readies you lose control of it and engage it.

So much cleaner in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agus Prajogo
Indonesia
Malang
East Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmmeye2 wrote:

My suggestion:

Quote:

You may choose not to ready Edhelore.

Action: Exhaust Edhelore to take control of a Creature in play and it becomes an ally with 0 willpower while under your control. If Edhelore leaves play or readies you lose control of it and engage it.

So much cleaner in my opinion.

Yours is definitely cleaner. But I want the player to spend some resources to activate her ability. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Meyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yours is definitely cleaner. But I want the player to spend some resources to activate her ability. Any ideas?

In that case here is my suggestion. I used Radagast as a template for how to word the text.

Quote:

Edhelore collects one resource each resource phase.

Action: Spend X resources from Edhelore's pool to gain control of a Creature enemy card in play with engagement cost at most ten times X. It becomes an ally with 0 [willpower].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agus Prajogo
Indonesia
Malang
East Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Meyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's probably the best you can do without losing some of your original inspiration. Good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nice concept.. an ally that can take control of enemy creature.. thats brilliant.. the artwork looks great but kinda out of place for lord of the rings theme imho.. all in all great card concept
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.