BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: More English grammar help needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a sign at work that says "Please be so kind and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher".

I claim this is wrong and that it should be "Please be so kind as to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher".

My co-workers think it should be "Please be so kind and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher".

So the big question of the day, who's least wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are equally correct, but I'd use:

Please put dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know who is least wrong, but I think you are mostest right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, if you want to maintain a veneer of politeness, while laying on the guilt a bit,
"Thank you for putting your dirty dishes in the dishwasher."

Where I work the problem is (claimed to be) that no-one is ever sure whether it currently contains clean or dirty items. Hence we have a sign which is placed in the open tray after the junior administrator has put the clean items away and put the dirty items left on top of the dishwasher into it, which says "This is dirty, please load". I don't know why, because it doesn't seem to make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
The sign sounds wrong as it is; we don't use the word "so" in quite that way.

Both your version and their version are grammatically correct and equally good. "Please be so kind as to..." is a somewhat formal and old-fashioned turn of phrase, but I could see someone using it in this context to soften the request. Their version is a bit more simple and direct.

If you wanted to get the job done in as few words as possible it could just read "please put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher." That's sufficiently polite, at least for an American. Well, a New Englander, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "so" in this sentence is what dictionaries call archaic. It makes the note sound like it was written by an old Victorian countess, the "as to" exacerbates this. Sometimes you will want something to sound that way, but common vernacular avoids it. Best to go with the shorter punchier examples given above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
The "so" in this sentence is what dictionaries call archaic. It makes the note sound like it was written by an old Victorian countess, the "as to" exacerbates this. Sometimes you will want something to sound that way, but common vernacular avoids it. Best to go with the shorter punchier examples given above.

Thankfully I'm not the one on dishwasher duty so they can write whatever they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

The "as to" doesn't exacerbate the "so", it's required to make it sound good. The expression is "So as to", so, in this context, using "so" without "as to" would be shockingly deleterious. "Please be so kind as to" is correct, but old-fashioned. But then, one finds that manners are old-fashioned these days. No respect for the old gentlefolk.

One must strive to avoid being passive aggressive. Use the active voice, "Please put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think proper 'merican is

"Put your fucking dirty dishes in the goddamn dishwasher."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
I think proper 'merican is

"Put your fucking dirty dishes in the goddamn dishwasher."

And in today's culture, you have to add:

"and be happy you have a job, you slug"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
If you wanted to get the job done in as few words as possible it could just read "please put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher." That's sufficiently polite, at least for an American. Well, a New Englander, anyway.

With the same amount of words, while retaining the idea that it would be considered a kindness:

"Kindly put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher."

$0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be glad you have a dishwasher at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
We have a sign at work that says "Please be so kind and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher".

I claim this is wrong and that it should be "Please be so kind as to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher".

My co-workers think it should be "Please be so kind and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher".

So the big question of the day, who's least wrong?

I think both are grammatically correct, but your co-workers' version doesn't have any connection in meaning between being kind and putting the dishes in the dishwasher because of the 'and'. Their version could be rephrased, without change in meaning, to:

Please be kind. Please put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher.

Due to this, I find your version superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, "Please be so kind" does not have quite the same connotation as "Please be kind".

I think the best way of expressing the tone of the original note, while still being gramatically correct and not sounding old fashioned would be to say, "Please be considerate and put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.