Brian Croxall
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
www.profhacker.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought when I heard Geoff and Bryan talk about this game on the D6 Generation was that it sounded pretty similar to Space Alert. The description posted on Stronghold's site makes the comparison seem all the more apt.

It's of course useless to speculate about similarities and differences before we have rules posted. But that clearly isn't stopping me from posting this thread. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the biggest difference is that each player has a specific, different task, whereas in Space Alert everyone can do any job, for the most part.

Also, in Space Cadets the different roles go about their jobs differently.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
While comparisons are going to be inevitable I don't think it's at all like Space Alert. First off, you have a very specific job that only you do, and each player has a different mini-game to perform, rather than all basically doing the same thing.

Because the jobs are so different they appeal to different types of players. My wife, for example, hates games like Roborally and Space Alert because she's not good at the 'preplotting movement' visualization thing. But she loves playing Sensors in Space Cadets because she enjoys that task. (For sensors you have to reach into a bag and find pieces that match the shapes that are on your 'sensor target' cards to get locks on enemies, scan map sectors, and break enemy locks on you). Whereas my son loves Roborally so he enjoys playing the Helmsman, where you have to plot your movement in the 30 second window. We've also played it successfully with kids as young as 8. They tend to be especially good at sensors and tractor beams, which is a Concentration/Memory game.

Also, the timed portion is in small 30 second chunks, with discussion and resolution in between. It's not a continuous 10-minute real time portion. So there's opportunity for discussion and clever tactics, while avoiding one person dominating, since in the end each person has to do their job on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Croxall
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
www.profhacker.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for this, Geoff. It's a very helpful way to conceptualize the differences. Can't wait to learn more about Space Cadets and then get my mitts on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what. I've read so far, (and I haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet, so forgive me if this has already been discussed) this reminds me of - http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

Have you had a chance to play with this, Geoff? Looks like it might be right up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have heard of this but have not had a chance to play it. Pretty cool!

SC is much less serious

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a space ship crew is a pretty big similarity but it's probably more to do with it being a good theme that's underused that makes teh similarities pop out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mukul patel
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mb
The Artemis game space cadet game is good, fun, skillful, challenging and tense.

The stand out thing in Space Cadets game description was the chance for up to thirty players to play. I am guessing those players will be in teams of few cadets to a starship, some starships to a side and a couple or more sides or against a scripted opponent(s). This is hugely interesting to me and similar idea to some of the Final Frontier megagames of the 90s. Really keen to see how this aspect of the game pans out.

http://www.megagame-makers.org.uk/archive/arch-ff7.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mukul wrote:
The Artemis game space cadet game is good, fun, skillful, challenging and tense.

The stand out thing in Space Cadets game description was the chance for up to thirty players to play. I am guessing those players will be in teams of few cadets to a starship, some starships to a side and a couple or more sides or against a scripted opponent(s). This is hugely interesting to me and similar idea to some of the Final Frontier megagames of the 90s. Really keen to see how this aspect of the game pans out.

http://www.megagame-makers.org.uk/archive/arch-ff7.htm

Yes, in SC:Live the players are grouped into 'teams' (Weapons team, Shield team, Engineering team). The minigames are redesigned to work in a group environment.

Just to be clear - Space Cadets Live (the 30 player version) is a con-only game that we are testing out at a local convention and may expand to other cons if it works out.

It is built on the framework of the boardgame version, but is not playable in any way if you have the boardgame, and there are no intentions to release it as a standalone product or expansion. It requires Moderators, props, etc.

More details on the 'con experience' are here: http://www.dexposure.com/scl2012.html

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I'm a big Space Alert fan, the first game I thought of when I saw Space Cadets was Psi 5 Trading Company:

This was a fantastic strategy game on the Commodore 64 and other 8-bit platforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.