Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just had my first play....through? I read the rules once (took me a while), set up, played about 3 or 4 cards constantly re-referencing the rules, Got my first BRAINS card and noticed I had been playing wrong (as I figured), then noticed it was a quarter to 2 in the morning and cleaned it up for another day.

Awesome game.

My question is about Chaos markers. The chaos markers are double sided. What is the point of the other side? I understand the casualty ones.... Are they essentially two sides of a different coin? IE, it's to not give you tokens to fiddle with but all conserved on one piece? Are the other side of the chaos markers activated by event/fate cards or when restoring a chaos marker?

HALP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Moe, the other sides of the chaos markers are used for certain Fate and Event cards. Some cards will give one unit a bonus in combat, and you can indicate which unit has which bonus by using the appropriate marker.

For example, one card gives a Civilian of your choice a Leader. Put the Civilian Leader marker (eg. the reverse side of one of the Chaos markers) on the Civilian unit of your choice to give them a combat bonus. Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yup! I was a bit confused as to whether that meant chaos markers are resolved (ie they're flipped and placed on the player unit that restored the space). I see it's completely independent. Before I knew this, I even thought I hadn't gotten casualty markers as I had all the chaos markers with chaos side up like a random draw deck.

That clears it up. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Moshe and Chris! I'm glad you're enjoying the game. It will take a couple of "false starts" to get the hang of it, but once you start rolling it's an exciting trip. The backsides of the Chaos markers were used for some of the special events for the simple reason of economy - we didn't have enough room to add extra markers, so we gave the Chaos markers double-duty essentially. We will be including more Chaos markers in the expansion to free-up these particular ones for emergency use only. Thanks again! Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Hermann! Great game, man.

One more question: When defending, you move two to the left if defending from a barricade/Town and one to the left for any other named space (like University).

Does Town include villages, like Saint Thomas, or is it only the central Town?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Moshe! "Town" refers only to the four Farmingdale Town spaces - the Villages are "Named" spaces. Have fun and aim for the head! Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

the Chaos markers actually add a tremendous effect to the game flow.
Once placed they are a constant threat for sudden outbursts of new hordes of Zeds (and too often too close to Farmingdale, town center).
A single Outbreak! could mean the end ...
Remove them as quickly as possible, although the Chaos markers on Ingeburg, Saint Thomas, East Irek and Lefty's Pass are not that important (no Chaos marker on a track? The Zeds will show up there anyway).
ALl other placed Chaos markers are critical.
Also keep in minde the effect of Chaos markers as indicating a space being under control of the bad guys. This could additionally harm your operations as you might lose goodies like a free Research Level increase, extra ammo or supply, and so on.

For ease of play, the current version of DotZ requires a total of 15 Chaos markers.
If all were placed ... ooops! Farmingdale is doomed.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.