Giliar Perez
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if I take this correctly after reading the rules and the review on Reviews forum, this expansion kind of "fixes" the base game for two players, right?

I've tried some variants but they all seemed a bit rough, since the game seems to be well-balanced but designed for 3+ players - Cultural victories were way too difficult.

Can somebody provide some insights about this? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I didn't find the game broken. The idea that any game must necessarily be perfectly balanced out of the box is absurd. Where is that rule written down? Some of the best and most challenging games are essentially broken (Diplomacy comes immediately to mind, as does War of the Ring and Twilight Struggle). The imbalance is by design. Cultural victories SHOULD be more difficult than military or economic victories. Cultural achievement is abstract, extremely difficult to measure, and only really recognizable centuries after and in hindsight. Military and economic conquest is immediate, and its benefits to society immediately obvious. That it would be potentially easier to win a military victory, and significantly harder to compete culturally against a player with military superiority is an honest and accurate simulation of how real human civilizations work.

But to climb down from my tall equine, let me answer your original question:

The expansion does, to some degree, make cultural victories easier, but a committed and dedicated military strategy will still have an advantage. AND IT SHOULD. If you aren't willing to adjust your play style to suit the unique demands of a two player game (where the military strategy will ALWAYS have an advantage), than Through the Ages may be a better two player game for you. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
(where the military strategy will ALWAYS have an advantage), than Through the Ages may be a better two player game for you. soblue

Ahhhh ... I'm surprised you mentioned TtA, where military in 2p is probably as crucial and game defining as 2p Civ.

Maybe Agricola will be better for you!!

Wait, 2p Agricola is about starving the other player.

2p Caylus...? Scratch that.

2p Carcassonne? How cutthroat IS 2p Carcassonne?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
MScrivner wrote:
(where the military strategy will ALWAYS have an advantage), than Through the Ages may be a better two player game for you. soblue

Ahhhh ... I'm surprised you mentioned TtA, where military in 2p is probably as crucial and game defining as 2p Civ.

Maybe Agricola will be better for you!!

Wait, 2p Agricola is about starving the other player.

2p Caylus...? Scratch that.

You can always go for the #1, wait, my favorite part in Twilight Struggle is poking the enemy on the chest while playing kitchen debates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
IirionClaus wrote:
MScrivner wrote:

LOL, that's true! It's been a while since I'd played it.

Gee, it's almost as if the designers of both games have made such that military is crucial to success...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giliar Perez
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't mind the game being cutthroat or anything and I agree with the statement that a military strategy should be more advantageous to win; just saying that I was expecting a bit more balance toward the other victory paths. Nowhere above I said that I'm not willing to adjust my play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitrium wrote:
Well, I don't mind the game being cutthroat or anything and I agree with the statement that a military strategy should be more advantageous to win; just saying that I was expecting a bit more balance toward the other victory paths. Nowhere above I said that I'm not willing to adjust my play style.

Economic and military are relatively balanced in base game, with Culture behind and tech far behind (with the exception of Russia).

FaF: culture and military are balanced, they're the yin and yang of FaF in my opinion. It's debatable how economic scales up with these two. Tech is still far behind I would love to have another tech-centric civ in the next expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think tech works as a game clock, if no one manages to win economic/culture/military, the game will still end in 16 turns max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
I think tech works as a game clock, if no one manages to win economic/culture/military, the game will still end in 16 turns max.

Russia can break that mold; as is a military player with the right culture cards/atlantis/teacher. That's why I'm hoping for another Russia-like civ, with a tech-centric special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hohmann
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Super Mario Kart Fan
badge
www.BoardgameMonkeys.com
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
rdonoso wrote:

Russia can break that mold; as is a military player with the right culture cards/atlantis/teacher. That's why I'm hoping for another Russia-like civ, with a tech-centric special ability.

You should try my Babylonian. Played them twice now and won once by tech on turn 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahdiabolo wrote:
You should try my Babylonian. Played them twice now and won once by tech on turn 9.

They're one of the Civs I had in mind, actually. Eek! Turn 9 tech victory?! How?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hohmann
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Super Mario Kart Fan
badge
www.BoardgameMonkeys.com
mbmbmbmbmb
With a research in every turn you can win on turn 11.
Invest in PE or get a knowledge shared card / explore atlantis and you are even faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:

I used to play nice relaxing games of carc with my son and wife. Then my friend came over (he had been playing on XBOX) and was a total dick when playing. I figured out some of the aggressive moves and it was a glorious battle of nastyness. Now we agree beforehand if we are going to play naughty or nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giliar Perez
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

I used to play nice relaxing games of carc with my son and wife. Then my friend came over (he had been playing on XBOX) and was a total dick when playing. I figured out some of the aggressive moves and it was a glorious battle of nastyness. Now we agree beforehand if we are going to play naughty or nice.

I ditched the Tower expansion for that reason. But anyways, I guess there are no towers in Civ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.