Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I will be attending PAX East this weekend and will swing by the Chessex booth to pick up some flashier dice for games I own.

I wanted to "upgrade" the dice in CitOW and had some questions. I own both the base game and the expansion. What would be the suggested number of dice for each of the 5 players? I'll need to look at the pieces again to determine what color dice to get.

I also read in an earlier post about using either d10s or d12s to track corruption in each zone. What type of die would I need to track that?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a region is ruined when it has a minimum collective of 12 corruption during the corruption phase. You could go with d10's but since there can be more corruption than 12 in a region when it ruins, d12's would probably be better. Even then I could possibly see a single god having more than 12 corruption in a region, so d20's would completely cover your bases. You'll also have to consider that you'd need a d[whatever you're choosing to go with] for each region for each god. There are 9 regions and 4 gods that lay corruption (The 5th God: The Horned Rat doesn't use corruption). They would probably only have corruption at about 6 regions at any given time but you never know. So if you wanted to be 100% safe, you would want:

9 red d20's
9 purple d20's
9 blue d20's
9 green d20's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is actually a bad idea to track corruption by dice. One person bumps at the table or touches them while placing a card/figure and you have a mess as dice roll over.

The board can get pretty crowded. Just stack the corruption tokens in each region by each player. No need to screw this with dice. Works fine as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Yeah, especially since dice are even easier to roll as you increase the number of sides (unless you get really big dice, I guess).

Besides, it's called ruination, people. You're supposed to be making a mess of the board. Jeez.

While you're at it, stop eating your pizza with a fork and knife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Lyndhurst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game dripping with theme, the idea of a bunch of tokens thrown into a zone seems very "chaos-y" to me. I love having to push a bunch of tokens out of the way to play my card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathcart wrote:
While you're at it, stop eating your pizza with a fork and knife
At the game club people opened their pizza boxes on top of the game (Catan.)

Also we couldn't play Agricola because it seemed like one card was gone. After looking through it all I finally found it with some other cards but they had also mixed the interactive and family deck and lots of cards was upside down.

I don't see why. How hard is it to bring the cards back in the right position?

Probably wasted an hour on Agricola just because they can't put stuff back together correctly.

I brought a game + a tablecloth to cover a table so it wouldn't get some filth on it but some (imho - not that bad, much better than eating pizza on the game, but ...) idiot opened it and laid it out on some other table without asking. I haven't decided whatever I'll bring it again or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the others, I wouldn't recommend buying dice to use as corruption markers.
However, I did pick up several sets of the Chessex Speckled Dice (9 for each god) and I'm quite happy with the purchase. I find that they help speed the game along -because we don't need to tip over hit figs and make a mess during combat. Whenever combat occurs in a region; everyone involved just rolls their dice and sets the hits to the side. Then combat is resolved according to initiative.
Anyways the Speckled Dice I got were:
9 Red (Khorne)
9 Green (Nurgle)
9 Blue (Tzeentch)
9 Purple (Slaanesh)
9 Grey (Horned Rat)
And I haven't regretted it since!

P.S. I must've gotten CITOW at least 25 or more times to the table, and not once did we ever have trouble, or run out of tokens during play -because don't forget, the tokens have to be removed once a region is ruined devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It still may be worthwhile to indicate total corruption for a region with a single die, just to make it easy to see which regions are close to ruination. You'd still have the actual corruption tokens present, so, if someone tips the die, simply recount the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree if the regions were a bit bigger and had more room. Unfortunately that's the only downside of CITOW -the wasted space on the board. So what me and my group do when placing our chaos tokens, is stack them up to a max of 4 per pile. That way it's easy to pick off if the region is ruined and who has the most corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.