Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 262: So Many Dynamos
6-player Pegasus+Exodus game (Cylon Leader, PG/FF/CFB) to Kobol

Welcome to the start of BSG 262: So Many Dynamos, a rematch of BSGs 252 and 253. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Major thanks to him for getting this whole shebang started, and also to Orphius for creating the mod tools that will be used.

Players

Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridget Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malcolm reynolds
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules and Guidelines

Those of you who have played in a PBF game before can skim this section. If this is your first PBF game, I suggest reading it carefully.

1. In order to participate, you must own a copy of game and the expansions.

Part of the agreement that allows us to do this is that the full card text will not be posted, so you will need your copy of the game to reference things like what the crises actually do. In the event that at some point you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a PM and I'll get you the relevant information.

2. I intend for this to be a fast-paced game. You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

I like to have my PBF games play very quickly, so there is a serious expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If this is not your style, that is fine, but I ask that you pass on participating. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. Habitual offenders may be replaced. A great way to speed up the game is by issuing tons of COs. See the "Conditional Orders" section below.

3. All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.

To maintain the feel of a face-to-face game, players are forbidden from communicating with their fellow players about the game outside of this thread. Anything that needs to be communicated privately being me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line. (Example: "[BSG 262][Ellen] This is delicious, what's in it?")

4. Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including your character name in bold or an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Fantastic banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation. Additionally, when posting, please use the typographic standards used in play-by-forum games. Specifically, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded.

5. Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

6. Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.

7. No spoilers.

Do not post any major spoilers about the television series (or associated films) that take place later than the time period of the current game in this thread. Since this is an Exodus game, this means Season 4 is off-limits. Yes, it's been years since the show aired, but some people still haven't seen it.

Conditional Orders (COs)

* Conditional orders are a very important aspect of keeping a PBF game running as quickly and efficiently as possible. Because of this, I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

* Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act. Additionally, for this game I will not be allowing public "TANK" COs. You can, of course, submit a normal CO to pass on playing cards into the check, which will have a similar effect.

* Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things that I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout, unless there is only one raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers, or attacks by cylon ships.
Evasive Maneuvers
Calculations (under the same conditions as Strategic Planning)

* I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.

* If you have an interrupt-style character ability, this onus is on you to put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

* Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO, which could hold up the game. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.

House Rules

This game will have a number of house rules in play:

1. Complex Destiny: The destiny deck will be created with 3 cards from each skill deck instead of 2. When it is down to 6 or fewer cards, it will be refilled and reshuffled.

2. Personal Goals: Change the second paragraph of all Personal Goal cards to the following: "Then, if Distance is 6 or less, shuffle 1 YANAC card into the Loyalty deck and draw a new Loyalty Card and draw two skill cards (they may come from outside your skillset). If Distance is greater than 6, you may choose to draw a new Loyalty Card to draw two skill cards (they may come from outside your skillset)."

3. Cylon Leader Agendas: In the event a cylon leader is chosen, several changes to the Sympathetic Agenda deck are in place. The "Join the Colonials" agenda is replaced by the "Grant Mercy" agenda. The second condition of the "Convert the Infidels" agenda is changed to "The total of the values on the resource dials is 12 or less".

4. Pegasus: Damage may not be assigned to Pegasus unless someone is aboard Pegasus.

5. Cain's Blind Jump ability will always bury the top card of the Destination deck before selecting a destination.

6. Kat's Hotshot once-per-turn ability may not be used when activating the FTL Control location.

7. Tory's Adaptable ability is changed to read "After any player uses the action on a Quorum Card, you may play a Consolidate Power from your hand."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So many dynamos?

Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that didn't take long to figure out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VRoscioli wrote:

This game will have a number of house rules in play:

1. Complex Destiny: The destiny deck will be created with 3 cards from each skill deck instead of 2. When it is down to 6 or fewer cards, it will be refilled and reshuffled. The "Psychological Warfare" Super Crisis will not be used.

2. Personal Goals: Change the second paragraph of all Personal Goal cards to the following: "Then, if Distance is 6 or less, shuffle 1 YANAC card into the Loyalty deck and draw a new Loyalty Card and draw two skill cards (they may come from outside your skillset). If Distance is greater than 6, you may choose to draw a new Loyalty Card to draw two skill cards (they may come from outside your skillset)."

3. Cain's Blind Jump ability will always bury the top card of the Destination deck before selecting a destination.

4. Kat's Hotshot once-per-turn ability may not be used when activating the FTL Control location.

5. Tory's Adaptable ability is changed to read "After any player uses the action on a Quorum Card, you may discard up to 2 Skill Cards from your hand and draw the same number of Skill Cards of your choice (they may be from outside your skill set)."

1.) Why no Psychological Warfare? It's possible to get the sheet to deal with it, just takes a little work. Details are in the copy I just uploaded.

2.) Interesting change, I like it. Don't know if we'll see anyone choose to draw Loyalty after Distance 6, probably depends on how card-poor we are/how many goals are already drawn.

5.) I don't like this as much as allowing her to play a Consolidate for free, but it could work well. Worth testing, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jasperhawk wrote:

1.) Why no Psychological Warfare? It's possible to get the sheet to deal with it, just takes a little work. Details are in the copy I just uploaded.

Fair enough. I'd assumed the sheet would try to be "helpful" and rebuild Destiny automatically when I try to do that. I'll strike out that change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VRoscioli wrote:

Jasperhawk wrote:

Fair enough. I'd assumed the sheet would try to be "helpful" and rebuild Destiny automatically when I try to do that. I'll strike out that change.

No, it should only rebuild Destiny as part of the "Play Destiny Into Skill Check" macro, and then only when there are 5-6 cards in Destiny after playing in. Discarding Destiny won't trigger it, nor will placing 6 cards in it. You could, I suppose, deal all 6 into checks then rebuild it with a new set of 18. Either way works, and that's probably less convoluted than what I wrote.

It's a horrible Super anyway, so let's hope it never comes up =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're going to be playing with Sympathetic Agendas, may I suggest selwyth's set? It results in a much more balanced game, and involves very minimal changes (tweaking a few numbers, and trading for two Hostile Agendas):

Prove Their Worth - The humans have won AND at least 7 raptors/vipers are damaged or destroyed.
The Illusion of Hope - The Cylons have won AND 8 or more units of distance have been traveled.
Convert the Infidels - The humans have won AND the resource dials total 13 or lower.
Salvage their Equipment - The Cylons have won AND 2 or fewer Galactica locations are damaged.

Grant Mercy* - The humans have won AND Food, Morale or Population is at 2 or lower.
Reduce Them to Ruins* - The humans have won AND 4 or more Galactica and/or Pegasus locations are damaged AND Morale is at 3 or lower.

* formerly Hostile Agendas, replacing "Join the Colonials" and "Guide Them to Destiny." The Agenda conditions remain unchanged, except "Reduce Them to Ruins" has been switched to a human-allied Agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think I want to mess around with the agenda deck that much. The one thing I might consider doing is replacing Join the Colonials with something else, since it's kinda silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, and I definitely agree about Join the Colonials. I will emphasize one issue I've experienced first-hand, though: Convert the Infidels is all but impossible to pull off, because it requires getting Food to 3 or lower. It's the "oh, I guess I've lost this game" Agenda; I've never seen a CL win with it. Maybe trade that and Join the Colonials for Hostile Agendas, leaving all numbers and other tweaks aside?

One other thing: Political Prowess. There's a huge incentive to dig for it, sit on it till Sleeper, then use it to randomly Airlock someone. A simple modification I've seen quite often is similar to what you've already done with Kat's ability and FTL Control: Political Prowess can't be used to pass the Airlock skill check (it can still be used defensively, to force a failure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Eunomiac wrote:

One other thing: Political Prowess. There's a huge incentive to dig for it, sit on it till Sleeper, then use it to randomly Airlock someone. A simple modification I've seen quite often is similar to what you've already done with Kat's ability and FTL Control: Political Prowess can't be used to pass the Airlock skill check (it can still be used defensively, to force a failure).

I don't think this is necessary. I'm trying to avoid having rules for every little thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Long
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thank you for the invite. However, I think there was some misreading going on.
I don't own Exodus, so I won't be able to play with you guys.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules seem fine as is but if your asking for opinions I prefer Tory's ability to allow a CP action. It just fits so nicely and requires you to have a CP in hand. On the agenda front: I'm fine with Selwyth's agendas as I've used them before and they worked nicely. I would agree that at least Convert the Infidels and Join the Colonials should be changed/tweaked/something. They're bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VRoscioli wrote:
[center]

5. Tory's Adaptable ability is changed to read "After any player uses the action on a Quorum Card, you may discard up to 2 Skill Cards from your hand and draw the same number of Skill Cards of your choice (they may be from outside your skill set)."

Why the limitation on Tory's ability? I haven't seen this cause balance issues, but I've only seen her played a few times...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VRoscioli wrote:

Eunomiac wrote:

I don't think this is necessary. I'm trying to avoid having rules for every little thing.

This from the guy who took a couple days off for Bar exams...politics yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did respond to the GM with an invite, but will post it here as well...

I'm going to pass on this. I have too much other PBF activity (Werewolf, Fury of Dracula, Risk) for me to properly keep track of something with variant rules right now.

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Who'd have thought it would be so hard to get one player! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game open to new players? I've never played a PBF game before. I have all the expansions and I check BGG more or less every two or three hours, unless I'm asleep. I am in Central Europe, though, so that may affect my posting times?

Eco.

EDIT: Oh, I see the players icons at the top now. nvm. Maybe next time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
EDIT: Oh, I see the players icons at the top now. nvm. Maybe next time

These games are typically by invite. If you haven't already found it, there is a waiting list being maintained here (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BSG_PBF), and if you are interested you should get your name on it as early as possible, because the wait times can be long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cal2cool4u wrote:
Why the limitation on Tory's ability? I haven't seen this cause balance issues, but I've only seen her played a few times...

Tory is an absolute monster, as written: Off an XO, President Tory can draw AND play two Quorum Cards, then draw four Skill Cards of any type. It's insane.

For the record, I generally agree with everything furyn said:
- I too favor the "... you may play a Consolidate Power Skill Card" alteration to Tory's ability, just because it's elegantly designed and gives Cylon-Tory deniability ("sorry, no CP").
- I also really don't want whoever gets the Cylon Leader to draw "Join the Colonials" or "Convert the Infidels" as written: One's too easy, the other's an almost guaranteed loss (which would be especially hard on a player in a game lasting a month).

BUT, I know CyMod has been peppered with house rule requests (mostly from me, I suspect), and running Exodus+CFB is a daunting task as is. So I totally get not wanting to pile a bunch of variant rules on top.

That said, the one thing I'm really hoping to see changed are those two Agendas. I like CL's, especially Sympathetic CL's, but those two Agendas present some real issues. To keep changes to an absolute minimum, here are the two best options I can think of:

Option One wrote:
Option One: Trade Both, Edit Reduce Them to Ruins

* Switch "Join the Colonials" for "Grant Mercy" (Hostile)
* Switch "Convert the Infidels" for "Reduce Them to Ruins" (Hostile)
* Edit "Reduce Them to Ruins" so that it requires a human victory.

(while it's possible to simply trade CtI for "Mutual Annihilation," I think that Agenda is rather dumb as well)

Option Two wrote:
Option Two: Trade JtC, Tweak Convert the Infidels

* Edit "Convert the Infidels" so that its objective requires the resources total 13 or less, rather than all resources below 3.

(All that being said, I enthusiastically recommend CyMod take another look at selwyth's Agendas: They really are as great as people are saying, and they've been heavily tested in a lot of games. The tweaks to "The Illusion of Hope" and "Prove Their Worth" are especially good.)

Edit: Sorry, CyMod, I intended this post to be an "I'm cool with whatever you run" post, and somewhere along the way it turned into a "here's more house rules I want" post. So let me be clear: "I'm cool with whatever you run."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look at that wiki, but 2 months to get onto a game might as well be a million years. I presume people are inviting their regulars too, which makes sense of course, but the PBF thing for BSG seems a bit too complicated.

I'll just have to stick to my Friday night games nights lol.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
I had a look at that wiki, but 2 months to get onto a game might as well be a million years. I presume people are inviting their regulars too, which makes sense of course, but the PBF thing for BSG seems a bit too complicated.

I'll just have to stick to my Friday night games nights lol.

Eco

Back when I first got into this a year ago, I looked at the list and felt similarly (though it was only a month's wait, then, not two). So instead of joining a game, I moderated one. It's really easy, especially with the tools in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/595567/modding-with-openoffi..., and more moderators means everyone moves through the line faster. I'd seriously consider doing it if you want to play PBF, but are daunted by the wait time.

Which reminds me, commonly accepted practice when people do rematches is for someone involved to start moderating, so that the moderation pool doesn't effectively decrease. Not sure if that's wholly necessary here since both VRoscioli and I moderate on a regular basis (though mine are currently on the Variant forums), but if any of our other players would like to step up, I'm sure the community would appreciate it. I can help anyone through getting games set up if they're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This doesn't have anything to do directly with your upcoming rematch (good luck to all), but I urge those players who have an interest in running to give it a shot -- especially if they want to use their own rules variations. The OO/Gimp spreadsheet is very easy to use, as I'm sure Jasperhawk can attest.

Playing in one of Vroscioli's games encouraged me to give running my own game a try, and from a mechanical point of view it is a breeze. If you can check in frequently and have the ability to run OpenOffice and GIMP on your machine, the waitlist could really use some fresh moderating blood. There are tons of people who want a game, and running one really isn't that hard providing you have the time.

Edit: aaaand ninja'd by Jasperhawk! >
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Eunomiac wrote:

- I too favor the "... you may play a Consolidate Power Skill Card" alteration to Tory's ability, just because it's elegantly designed and gives Cylon-Tory deniability ("sorry, no CP").

It seems that we have a majority that would rather play with this house rule, so we will.

Eunomiac wrote:

Option Two wrote:
Option Two: Trade JtC, Tweak Convert the Infidels

* Edit "Convert the Infidels" so that its objective requires the resources total 13 or less, rather than all resources below 3.

We will play with these changes to CL agendas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the time this game is done, I will add my name to the mod pool. This may surprise you, but I'm sort of obsessive about house rules/variants, and am still figuring out how the spreadsheet works so that I can confidently add my own tweaks.

My dream is to one day create a full-blown mini-expansion around Cylon Leaders, which will hopefully solve all of their problems (even in 5-player games!), make them fun and balanced, and bring about world peace through sheer weight of awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS: A Cylon Leader is in no way at the top of my priority list. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [50] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.