aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So currently, we have a lot of lords (and ladies) that give bonuses for quests. Cool.

Then we have 1 random building bonus lady. 6 vp per building.

It just seems weird to me that this is the ONLY other bonus VP giver at the end of the game.

Help me come up (and balance) some additional lords to keep the game fresh and exciting.

Lord Intrigue: 2 VP for every left over Intrigue card in your hand at the end of the game.

Lord Plot: 4 VP for every completed plot quest (spices things up in a way that you don't neccessarily have to focus on 2 types of quests).

Lord Adventurer: 2VP (instead of 1VP) for each left over adventurer at the end of the game.

Lord of Quests: 10VP for each set of Quests (if you have 1 of each quest = 10vp. 2 of each quest = 20 points)

Lord of Piety: 3vp for each Cleric

Lord of Arcana: 3vp for each Wizard

Lord of Commerce: 1vp per money instead of .5vp per money.

Lord of Unity: An additional 6vp for every set of adventurers (cleric,wizard, barbarian, rogue)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aucoin
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Work. Good enough to become an expansion or at least a promo. I will have to try these ideas out and come up with some of my own. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it amusing that a game that is less than one month old needs to be kept fresh anmd exciting.

They definitely need point balancing. From my experience, the original lords will score you on average 16-24 points per game (probably less for five players).

You should probably keep that in mind. I don't think anyone is going to be sitting there with 8 to 12 intrigue cards at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sugden
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a rough 'economy' in the game design. You can see it when you look at what you 'get' for what you 'give up'.

One Wizard = one cleric = 2 rogues = 2 fighters = 4 money = 2 intrigue cards (cost to acquire) = one action = 4 victory points = 2 quest cards.

This economy is used throughout the game to exchange one thing for another. It is not always exact, but it is underlying everything in the game until you reach the end, at which time anything you have not translated to victory points is reduced in value before you can exchange it for victory points.

Some of the values you list would result in some really high scores for some players.

Intrigue cards being worth 2 points might not be far off, but intrigue cards are often worth more than that to play. Further, their value changes dramatically as you shift the number of players in the game. Having a player hoarde them would reduce the fun of the game by creating a strong disincentive to play. Futher, some of the base mechanics of the game (such as mandatory quests) assume players are trying to achieve quests and a player with this lord might not find that is a worthy goal that is cost effective for his faction.

The plot cards being worth 4 each is slightly problematic - there are 12 cards of each quest type. There are thus 24 available cards for each of the 10 '2 quest type Lords' for which you can get bonus points. There are only 15 plot cards in the game. Further, they tend to have a very low cost relative to most other quests and provide fewer points for completion. This makes balancing with other quest combinations difficult. If I were going to try to implement this type of benefit, I'd be implementing it in combination with a quest type, such as:

Alena Paladinstar: 6 points for piety plot quests, 4 points for other piety quests, 3 points for other plots.

The points for leftover adventurers or money has a similar problem to the intrigue card idea above - the game is not designed to accomodate hoarding. If certain buildings come out, a player might find it ridiculously easy to get a lot of points (even if they do not build the building). Additionally, the base value propositions you've proposed do not match the economies observed throughout the game. I don't think this concept works. What *might* work (athough I doubt it) would be having a Lord with a revealed set of goals that gets points for every adventurer of a certain type that is handed in (clerics = 1 or wizards = 1, or 2 fighters = 1, or 2 rogues = 1), but you'd need to give a point penalty or bonus at the end of the game depending upon the number of players in the game. The number of adventurers passing through your hands changes depending upon the number fo players in the game (and upon certain things like buildings).

Similarly, the idea of 'sets of quests' will not work because the number of quests you expect to solve in a game changes depending upon the number of players in the game. In a 2 player game, each player gets to place 36 agents. In a 4 or 5 player game, each player is only placing 20 agents. When you place 20 agents, you are not going to complete as many total quests as when you place 36. Further, when you're fighting with more players for resources, it is harder to complete larger sets. If you were going to award points for sets of quests, it should be worth much higher than 10 per set of 5 quests - probably closer to 20, although a slight discount would be necessary to reflect that you could go after quests to complete sets. If I were doing this, I'd revise it as follows:

Aluanen: 16 points for any set, 8 points for any three quests of different types that are not scored as part of a set.

If you want more Lords, I'd consider adding:

* Lords for each of the 5 quest types that gain 6 points for each quest of their type (but no bonus points for quests of the other 4 types). The 6 reflects a disadvantage from having fewer options for quests that benefit the player and and an advantage for being able to specialize for more advantage per quest achieved.

* A lord (or more than one lord) that grants 2 points per quest for all completed quests.

* A lord that PENALIZES all other players for completing quests that do not match the bonuses offered by their Lords.

* A lord that gets a flat number of bonus points based upon the number of players in the game. (He has no special goals - just to get as many points as possible overall).

* A lord that gets 4 points for all quests worth 10 or more victory points (there are 26 such quests, but you can't start completing them right away and they often make it difficult to solve another quest quickly as they often do not give you resources back when completing the quest).

* A lord that gets 2 points for every quest worth 9 or less (there are 34 such quests, but they are easier to begin completing earlier in the game than the other 26 quests, generally).

I hope these comments/ideas help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
They definitely need point balancing. From my experience, the original lords will score you on average 16-24 points per game (probably less for five players).

Interesting. How many players is this with? With 3 players, I've usually seen at least 28 or 32, and after the first couple games more commonly 40-44 points from the lord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
jgsugden wrote:

Alena Paladinstar: 6 points for piety plot quests, 4 points for other piety quests, 3 points for other plots.

Aluanen: 16 points for any set, 8 points for any three quests of different types that are not scored as part of a set.

* Lords for each of the 5 quest types that gain 6 points for each quest of their type (but no bonus points for quests of the other 4 types). The 6 reflects a disadvantage from having fewer options for quests that benefit the player and and an advantage for being able to specialize for more advantage per quest achieved.

* A lord (or more than one lord) that grants 2 points per quest for all completed quests.

* A lord that PENALIZES all other players for completing quests that do not match the bonuses offered by their Lords.

* A lord that gets a flat number of bonus points based upon the number of players in the game. (He has no special goals - just to get as many points as possible overall).

* A lord that gets 4 points for all quests worth 10 or more victory points (there are 26 such quests, but you can't start completing them right away and they often make it difficult to solve another quest quickly as they often do not give you resources back when completing the quest).

* A lord that gets 2 points for every quest worth 9 or less (there are 34 such quests, but they are easier to begin completing earlier in the game than the other 26 quests, generally).

I hope these comments/ideas help.

These are fantastic ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.