Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Made an alternative set of tokens to use in place of Beethoven,if anyone is interested. Puccini is synonymous with Opera, and I think a natural choice. How can the creator of La Boheme and Turandot be denied???

and the back:

Of course, you will have to put the spare tokens in a bag for a random draw, as you will not be able to make a random pile of all the music pieces.

I'm submitting a file in word form for the composer token (front and back) and the 14 music pieces sized correctly for the game. Simply print on a full shipping label sheet and apply to matboard.

Cheers

Edit: Seems the file submission has changed in terms of time required for approval so don't know when these will be listed in the file section. You can certainly use them under original size. It should be accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant. Thanks a million for this; now I don't have to design it myself.

P.S. File submissions can take over a week; don't sweat it. I look forward to the files. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
Made an alternative set of tokens to use in place of Beethoven,if anyone is interested. Puccini is synonymous with Opera, and I think a natural choice. How can the creator of La Boheme and Turandot be denied??? ;)

and the back:

Of course, you will have to put the spare tokens in a bag for a random draw, as you will not be able to make a random pile of all the music pieces.

I'm submitting a file in word form for the composer token (front and back) and the 14 music pieces sized correctly for the game. Simply print on a full shipping label sheet and apply to matboard.

Cheers

Edit: Seems the file submission has changed in terms of time required for approval so don't know when these will be listed in the file section. You can certainly use them under original size. It should be accurate.

Dear Opera fans,

Great to see that you enjoy the theme of the game and want to add new composers to the game. Unfortunately we had a limit of 6 composers to the original game. If we had more place for composers Puccini of course is one of them. But Vincenco Bellini (6 opera's), Benjamin Britten (13), Gioacchino Rossini (12), Hans Werner Henze (7) or Richard Strauss (9) could also have been added to this list. Of course not only the number of Opera's matters, clearly. We have decided - as stated earlier - to add Beethoven since he was a famous composer in general. Opera is already a bit for the elite, and we did not want to increase that feeling. Puccini (Madame Butterfly and Tosca are 2 out of 8 Opera's whe wrote) could definitely be on this list, agreed.

When we reprint Opera we might add some new composers to the game.

Best Regards,
The Game Master

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the game - and it wasn't a knock on your choices. I understood the reason why you went with Beethoven. I hope you didn't mind me making Puccini!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brainmaster wrote:

While I respectfully disagree with your reasoning and decision to include Beethoven as a composer in the game, I do hope that you'll think of your long-time fans and make any potential "new composers" available separately in some way to those of us that purchased the first printing... perhaps as a mini-expansion?

Great game, by the way. Opera doesn't get nearly enough love here on the Geek. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an opera singer and fan, I also found the Beethoven choice a bit odd, but I understood the rationale.

Still, for me, Puccini really is synonymous with opera, and if a mini-expansion were added that included a few different composers like Puccini, I'd definitely pick it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brainmaster wrote:

And hopefully you will make the new composer tiles available separately to those of us who already have the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lovely thread !!!

1. BOO.. I worship Puccini as much as everyone else but are we hatin' on Fidelio. Don't hate on Fidelio !!

2. As someone who is a classical musician for a living-- and someone who even has a minor in Opera History from a lauded conservatory ( note my avatar pic and screen name ) -- the fact that upthread someone even KNOWS who Henze IS , much less his contributions to the 20th century opera repertory.. you get not a BOO but a YAY! of cosmic proportions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just blowin' smoke here - chatting about composers and not really criticizing the game.

Puccini is surely a natural choice. However, given the apparent desire to spread things out on the time line, if I were to replace Beethoven, I'd have chosen Donizetti.

An alternative would have been to concentrate the time line - to set the game in a specific general period and span maybe from Donizetti through Wagner (including, say, Verdi, Puccini, Rossini, and... Bellini? (the last probably would have the fewest people familiar). This would more realistically give a sense of impressarios competing for the "latest" works.

Whenever I play, whichever star composers are selected, I place them in chronological order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, given the theme of the game (and further reflection) I think it was wise to leave Puccini out, since the game is set prior to the 20th century.

If an expansion added a 4th Century, OF COURSE Puccini would be in it

*hint hint*

4th Century, add NYC Opera house to be built
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.