David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question before our first game with Banners:

- Concerning the Capital Stronghold, after I bought the Development card saying "Replace one of your Stronghold in your realm with your Capital Stronghold", do I replace it automatically as soon as I bought the Dev Card?

- I don't know if i'll add the Rise of the free cities variant since I don't want the game to last for 5 hours
How much time can I expect to add to a game using this variant?

Note that tonight we're playing a 3-player game with Banners and the Exploration Tokens, Commanders on the Battlefield and Development Cards variants.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
- Concerning the Capital Stronghold, after I bought the Development card saying "Replace one of your Stronghold in your realm with your Capital Stronghold", do I replace it automatically as soon as I bought the Dev Card?

Yes, one of your Strongholds upgrades immediately. If you don't have one to upgrade, though, you'll have to pay for it later to do so, but part of the development purchase price includes the free upgrade.

Quote:
I don't know if i'll add the Rise of the free cities variant since I don't want the game to last for 5 hours
How much time can I expect to add to a game using this variant?

I don't think the Rise of the Free Cities will add much time in and of itself. The extra rune required is offset by the fact that some of the cities PROVIDE runes.

The Road to Legend option may increase the game length, though; in my experience, it adds an extra hour or so to a 2-player game. For a 3-player game, I'd say maybe an hour and a half, but I haven't played that variant with 3 yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

The Road to Legend option may ...

DO you mean Road to Victory Option on P11?

If not , what is the Road to Legend Option?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

The Road to Legend option may ...

DO you mean Road to Victory Option on P11?

If not , what is the Road to Legend Option?!

Oops, yes, I meant "Road to Victory". (Road to Legend is a Descent expansion; same universe, completely different game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dang, Thought i was missing something awesome!

any how.. to the OP

I have used both options.

The Free Cities optional and RtV options.

in the base game the cities were bland and usually were an after thought when the army marched by. With the new cities they are much more valuable due to them having more influence in the game and some having a Runestone to boot! they in fact will shorten a game.

Only RtV will add time.
In the base game, a player reaches 6 Rune stones and wins, period.

In RtV the basic gist is once a player reaches 6 Runestone he has to KEEP the 6 stones for one year from the season he claimed them. THIS allows players to foil a victory and prolong the game.

ITs a double edged sword, on one hand it forces players to plan ahead to protect their gains and slows down the horde rushes across the map, but at the same token it can cause a game to prolong an extra hour or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Oh dang, Thought i was missing something awesome!

any how.. to the OP

I have used both options.

The Free Cities optional and RtV options.

in the base game the cities were bland and usually were an after thought when the army marched by. With the new cities they are much more valuable due to them having more influence in the game and some having a Runestone to boot! they in fact will shorten a game.

Only RtV will add time.
In the base game, a player reaches 6 Rune stones and wins, period.

In RtV the basic gist is once a player reaches 6 Runestone he has to KEEP the 6 stones for one year from the season he claimed them. THIS allows players to foil a victory and prolong the game.

ITs a double edged sword, on one hand it forces players to plan ahead to protect their gains and slows down the horde rushes across the map, but at the same token it can cause a game to prolong an extra hour or two.

Thanks Scott M.!
You convinced me to use this variant too tonight!

Damn if I could find more players in Quebec!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow we had a blast yesterday!

Rise of the Free Cities = APPROVED!
Commanders on the Battlefield = APPROVED!
Development Cards = APPROVED!

Those variants are really cool and add lots of options to the base game. The new Cities are really nice and at last we have to fight for them AND to keep them.

The Development Cards variant gets my vote. Awesome new customization option for our nation. Love them!

Commanders are a welcome addition too. They turned the tide of a couple battles yesterday!

The only downside is that I played with my bro (who's plays on instinct and feeling) and my cousin (who's over-thinking everything and can drag the game a bit). I'm in between those 2, leaning a little more on the feeling side.

Personally i'm not really bothered by over-thinkers and consider it's part of the game to plan our moves, but my bro get bored easily during those times and I had to cheer him up a bit on occassions hehhehe.

Overall, great game which ended with a tie and Uthuk winning since he was the only one with Influence tokens left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thel Schuhart
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This last weekend we played Runewars twice, both time with the Road to Victory option. Man. The first game was with 4 players and we went two full years before someone actually won. All players were very experienced and equally desirous for the win. (We have a little group wager going on)

The second game was with 3 players and we went 3 full years until a winner eeked it out. (That is 12 more seasons) Yeah, it can add it time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.