PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've watched the reviews for this one & have read a number of the reviews, which has been good, but I can't help thinking that I'm missing something.

I love worker-placement games - probably my favourite mechanic. I have, in alphabetical order - Agricola, Alien Frontiers, Caylus, Fresco, Le Havre, The Pillars of the Earth, Stone Age, Troyes, Vasco da Gama.

This one just seems to be a little on the simple side - put meeple on building to aquire cube, acquire required cubes to complete quest, complete quest to score VP, player with most VP wins. Add intrigue cards & buildings to purchase & use (see Caylus).

This game is getting lots of good reviews & I'd love to get it, but given the stable it would be joining, will it hit the table?

So, back to my original questions - given the other games in my collection, would I enjoy this game & how does it play?

Paul65
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
You are more than welcome to check out my collection. If the choice is mine, LoW will hit the table before any of them. We will see if it has staying power, but after 7 plays, I am still anxious to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you combined your collection with mine, it would be one hell of a collection :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice. Not a lot of crossover, either.

Glen More is one that I want to get, but can't find it anywhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Nushmut
msg tools
Waterdeep has mixed reviews from those who like heavy worker placement games and can get them to the table regularly (i.e. this review). I doubt you're missing any crucial bit of information about the game. I think I'd recommend trying to try it once or twice before buying it, if you play Agricola and Caylus and have a dozen worker placement games already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reference to the review.

One comment hit me,

Quote:
The biggest problem I have with Lords of Waterdeep is its overall triviality in the grand universe of worker placement games. There is nothing particularly new or innovative about the game, and both learning and playing the game is fairly easy. After a handful of plays you will know most everything there is to know about the game and what remains is a series of relatively straightforward tactical decisions that plays in about an hour. It is light and breezy with marginal tension and no more than one or two points in the game where you will have to really think deeply about what you are doing. (Jesse Dean)

It sums up my concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even know that OeL had made it down under.
Milsims have sold out & my FLGS hasn't had it yet.
Will keep a look out.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul65 wrote:
Quote:
The biggest problem I have with Lords of Waterdeep is its overall triviality in the grand universe of worker placement games. There is nothing particularly new or innovative about the game, and both learning and playing the game is fairly easy. After a handful of plays you will know most everything there is to know about the game and what remains is a series of relatively straightforward tactical decisions that plays in about an hour. It is light and breezy with marginal tension and no more than one or two points in the game where you will have to really think deeply about what you are doing. (Jesse Dean)

It sums up my concerns.

My copy arrives tomorrow, so I haven't played it yet. I think it does have some innovation (theme, intrigue cards).

I would think that if you want something vaguely like Caylus but lighter, and with a theme that has wider appeal, it might be good for you. On the other hand, if you are really trying to get away from the lighter games and stick to heavier fare, it's probably not what you want.

Looking at it a different way, as someone else hinted: If you are getting all the games you listed to the table, and you are enjoying them, you probably don't need this one right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting that everyone comments on Caylus.
I must confess that of my WPGs, Caylus is down towards the bottom.
My favourites are PotE, Alien Frontiers, Fresco & Stone Age.
I need to get Agricola & Le Havre on the table again & soon.
Vasco da Gama is yet to hi the table (got it in a maths trade).
With Troyes, I've yet to find a strategy that does anything but lose, but I'm still interested in getting it on the table.
Caylus may shine with more play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think LoW is a fun introduction to worker-placement-with-building-ownership mechanics. None of the others really do that in the light-medium category. Agricola, Le Havre, and Caylus are too heavy and convoluted for gaming-light situations. And Alien Frontiers, Stone Age, Fresco, and Pillars don't really have the "invest in a building, get owner rewards" component. As far as I can tell, LoW is one of the few light-weight worker placement games that uses the owner-based-benefits of Le Havre and Caylus, so it's a nice introduction to those types of games.

Of the ones you listed, I consider LoW to be closest to Stone Age and Caylus. In LoW, you collect resources, and then spend them to complete quests. This is similar to Stone Age's hut completion. The difference is that in LoW, the stuff you acquire is worth more than points. The reward may be lower in VP's, but give you bonuses such as extra cubes, a free intrigue card placements, or an extra worker. Stone Age's huts feel simplistic by comparison. Weighing the value of a lower-VP quest given the non-VP reward components is quite interesting to me. The value may vary based on the type of quests you are trying to complete, the buildings you already have in play, and whether it comes out early and late. In Stone Age, it's just points. So I think LoW is deeper than Stone Age here.

Regarding building ownership, picking the right building is critical. Buying a building that doesn't get used is a waste of an action and money. But getting rewards 3-4 times per game is highly useful. Knowing which buildings are better early and late can be important as well. The decisions as to which building to buy are certainly not as deep as with Caylus, but they are interesting to me.

At the very least, I love the owner-based-rewards of Caylus, and this is the first game to give me a chance to use them with non-gamers. And the quests are far more interesting to me than Stone Age's huts. Then you throw in the Intrigue cards, and the combo-potential with quests, and I think LoW is a more dynamic game than Stone Age. It certainly has no less luck.

I wouldn't replace Caylus, Agricola, or Le Havre with LoW when I'm playing a gamers' game, but I think Stone Age has moved down a notch for me for non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul65 wrote:
It's interesting that everyone comments on Caylus.
I must confess that of my WPGs, Caylus is down towards the bottom.
My favourites are PotE, Alien Frontiers, Fresco & Stone Age.
I need to get Agricola & Le Havre on the table again & soon.
Vasco da Gama is yet to hi the table (got it in a maths trade).
With Troyes, I've yet to find a strategy that does anything but lose, but I'm still interested in getting it on the table.
Caylus may shine with more play.

Having played Lords for the first time the other night, I'd say yes. It is of similar weight to the worker placement games you list as favorites.

It doesn't do anything particularly different - in fact the building mechanic is very much a "rip-off" of Caylus, but what it does do is try to bring a fantasy theme into the game. If that appeals then I think it is worth it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josko Tosic
Croatia
Sibenik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul65 wrote:
Hi all,

I've watched the reviews for this one & have read a number of the reviews, which has been good, but I can't help thinking that I'm missing something.

I love worker-placement games - probably my favourite mechanic. I have, in alphabetical order - Agricola, Alien Frontiers, Caylus, Fresco, Le Havre, The Pillars of the Earth, Stone Age, Troyes, Vasco da Gama.

This one just seems to be a little on the simple side - put meeple on building to aquire cube, acquire required cubes to complete quest, complete quest to score VP, player with most VP wins. Add intrigue cards & buildings to purchase & use (see Caylus).

This game is getting lots of good reviews & I'd love to get it, but given the stable it would be joining, will it hit the table?

So, back to my original questions - given the other games in my collection, would I enjoy this game & how does it play?

Paul65

Troyes is not a worker placement game.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johtara wrote:
Troyes is not a worker placement game.shake

To each their own - check out the Mechanic section for Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - I've bitten the bullet & bought the game.
Next step is to get it on the table.
The proof is in the playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got it on the table last night.
I would say that the one thing that really stands out is how quick it plays. As the number of buildings increase, there are more & more options, but the aim is to try to find the best option of a number of good options. Enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.