Sam Smith
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
Good evening--

Perfect Union is a game in which players play as members of the US House of Representatives debating and voting on laws over the course of a legislative session. You win by accumulating the most points. Points come from living up to your promises and improving the nation, goals which can sometimes be at odds.

I hope. Without playtesters I am somewhat lost--I cannot maintain the negotiating foibles of five or six players! Frankly, I don't have any idea if the system works, but I feel like it would. My dream for the game would be to use it as a teaching tool in North Carolina public schools with middle or high school students getting a glimpse of the challenges facing their representatives.

The game can be found in its entirety at perfectuniongame.wordpress.com. The first scenario covers the 111th Session of Congress, which passed the stimulus package, Obamacare, and the Shark Conservation Act, among others. Please let me know if you would like to help playtest it! I would be thrilled to playtest or otherwise help with one of your projects in return.

All the best,
Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
link points to empty blog page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks! Sorry about that--the link is fixed now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is considerable bias showing with the 'Quality' attribute assigned to the various Docket items.

One of the things our Representatives do is bargain and haggle their votes knowing what is coming up on the docket. By encapsulating each vote into a single event, you are not really representing the compromise process that is supposed to happen on the Hill.

This should not be presented in the Classroom.

-=-=-

I would instead recommend looking at a more abstract political process game. Die Macher comes to mind, but it's not American Politics that it represents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Smith
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, showing more bills at once would improve the game.

Quality is certainly subjective, though I try to be fair. It represents the scope of the bill (a small measure may be a good law but it may not affect the entire National Status) as well as its historical functionality as judged by a synthesis of commentary.

Thank you for the interesting points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.