Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Playthrough of a campaign put together by insane science rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all. I don't generally post session reports, but I have ulterior motives today so I may as well.

I've recently put together an excel sheet with some macros to randomly generate adventures, which can be put together to form a campaign.

It needs a little more work, typos fixed, a couple of minor tweaks, and more content put in, but so far I'm happy with it's ability to merge components from all 3 D&D games and make an attempt to balance it all with the push of a button.

So I'll be describing the campaign as I play through it with my brother. Hopefully it will sound like fun, and after some more testing I can upload the excel file here.

Anyway, onto the fun:

First things first, my hero pool filled up at the King's Feather tavern. (I'm nuts for randomly generating things, so a tavern name is the first thing I'll put together.) For the campaign, a hero pool is randomly selected, so there are twice as many heroes as players. Today we have Drizzt (yes!!), Tarak, Quinn and Alissa. All powerful.

Moving on to Adventure 1: Hunting the Servants of Strahd. First come instructions for setting up the various stacks and cards. Ravenloft tiles and encounter cards. Legend of Drizzt monster deck ... with the stalactite cards removed. All 3 treasure decks mixed together and seperated into an item deck and a non-item deck. Typical dungeon stack consisting of a Rotting Nook somewhere 9-12 tiles deep.

As I keep everything in its own box, there's some frantic scrabbling to put it all together.

Then my brother picks Drizzt, I take Tarak, and we're off.

Since this is adventure 1, the macro has made some attempts at giving us an easy start. We're given a bonus healing surge (and maximum surge per adventure), and an ally card from Drizzt. Wulfgar's along for the ride.

We start exploring, taking encounters and killing monsters - hunting drakes, water elementals and goblins. No worries.

Eventually, we find a tile with a white arrow. This gives us some more advantages - a map token which lets us pick future tiles to a certain extent, and a villager, who'll follow along and either die nobly as a meatshield or survive to the end for bonus gold.

So now we move along, picking up new villagers with every new white arrow tile, getting more white arrow tiles thanks to the map. Monsters are fought off. The villager Donnel punches a water elemental to death. Wulfgar throws his hammer, goblins run through the halls to try and kill us.

Then we find the Rotting Nook. (Ooh, white arrow - in goes another villager!) As per the adventure instructions, we put all the level 5 Ravenloft villains token except for the Hag onto the table, select one at random and reveal .. the Werewolf.

This makes for a great fight. As a campaign rule, (and in my opinion, a good idea for D&D in general), encounters are not drawn when a villain is in play. We all swarm the wolf, attacking then backing off. Gwynhavar pounces and is knocked down. Villagers are killed. Drizzt defends as best he can while we roll badly, but then Tarak's Tornado strike and lucky strike save the day and we win.

Results: a stack of gold from the monsters we slew, over 30 experience for all the monsters killed. We immediately pay 15 exp for another maximum healing surge, and buy a dragontooth pick from the merchants.

We both had fun on this quest. It felt good and flowed well once we'd set the thing up. It also gave us lots of loot which will hopefully be put to good use.

I'll write about the next adventure soon. It's been played but I want to think a little more about it. I'll say this: it was even crazier than adventure 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice gameplay. How do you campaing with only 2 levels? will you get tons of itens to compensate?
Could you share the exel generator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-generated 9 levels in all.

As I play through them, I'm spotting minor typos and things that require slight clarification.

When I fix them all, and add a couple more things that I think would go well, I'll upload the sheet here. Soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished excel sheet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice you mentioned it uses all three games. Do you (or can you) have it set up so that, if someone only has one or two of the games, it will only select from the games you have? Or must you own all three games in order for your macro spreadsheet to work?

Great job by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@14cross: Very well spotted, sir. You tick the boxes for the expansions that you want included before you push the magic button.

Ok, Adventure 2: Surviving the Mountaintop Arena

This was interesting. Essentially, the level consisted of the start tile, the dire chamber (size 5, was large) and nothing else. The point of the quest was to walk into the arena, receive 3 chamber cards, play through them in whatever order you liked, then win.

To make life easier, becuase there's a possibility that you'll be facing Ashardalon in one of the chamber cards, the macro assigned the Ravenloft monster deck, but ordered the 3 experience monsters removed. Bye, gargolyles. Bye, wraithes. It also made use of all the 'O monsters' and '1 monster' tokens, but we didn't manage to draw any 0 monster tokens and so faced each challenge with all its monsters intact. So go figure.

Oh, and treasures were from the legend of Drizzt deck, split up as before.

Drizzt and Tarak entered the dungeon and swiftly explored to find the chamber and start the arena experience. From here on, we switched to arena-mode encounters: namely you only draw one if you don't attack anything.

First chamber card was treasure horde. This one was a bit tricky to rules lawyer into our current predicament. We added the Ashy Arrives encounter to the deck as told, and rushed in, killing the guardian monsters and taking all the treasure tokens. When we had them all, we did't have enough for victory, but monsters didn't drop treasure tokens this adventure, so we deemed ourselves victorious in that we had as much as we could get. Plus, Ashardalon was still circling the airport, and would swoop down if we drew any encounters.

Next up was the orc horde. Gruumsh actually found some Ravenloft animals to replace his usual pals: Rat swarm and wolf. Collosal punch-up followed, with Drizzt deflecting Gruumsh's lightening bolts with his Twinkle skill and everyone conserving their big attacks for....

Chamber card 3, the Stables. Out comes the Rage Drake, and out came Tornado Strike and Inspirational Strike, panther vs Drake fury ensued, and some back and forth, but eventually we killed it and won 1000 gold as a level bonus, and 1 pick each from the Drizzt item deck.

Merchants sold us more goods, and we spent another 15 exp for more maximum surges. Drizzt levelled up at some point. Rich, famous, and victorious. Bring on Adventure 3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Conway
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This sounds lovely. I look forward to checking out the file itself, if you get a chance to upload it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can't wait to upload it and get you all to be unpaid beta testers.

I found a potentially broken quest and will partially rewrite it for future versions. This was Adventure 4, which we did last night. We still won it of course...

Adventure 3: Stealing the Crystal Shards.

Easy peasy. Everything was Drizzt-based - encounters, monsters, treasure. The goal was to explore the dungeon until we found the crystal shard tile, then put the Crystal Prison token on that, along with a random Drizzt villain. To win, you need to do at least 1 damage to the Crystal, and put everyone one the start tile.

But we were on a roll, so after killing 2 feral trolls, a drider and a drow wizard, when confronted with Jarlaxle we just curbstomped him too. Then smashed the cystal prison to bits, because the more damage you do it, the more shards you steal and the more gold you get.

More loot, more experience, everyone levelled up. Possibly too easy?

Adventure 4: Robbing the Grave.

This one I had high hopes for, but it may be broken given the size of the dungeon tile stack.... will make small modifications to it. Essentially similar to the previous adventure, this had us exploring ravenloft, looking for crypt tiles with black arrows, and placing coffin tokens there.

As the quest title implied, we opened coffins until we found a couple of items, and the legged it out the dungeon. I was half hoping Strahd would show up in a coffin, just to see if we could face him, but no luck.

Next up: the downside of random generation, as the macro spits out what looks like a redux of Adventure 1, but the one after that looks interesting.

Oh, and one of the campaign rules is that level 2 heroes can use any legal ability from any set, so Tarak got to trade some skills with the rogue build in ravenloft. Turning him into more of a damage dealer, since we now have 7 surges per adventure, and aren't even needing to use them. Perhaps this calls for a harder campaign next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fairfaxx
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am really enjoying reading your campaign sessions. pls keep them coming.

maybe you could include a 'difficulty' setting in the campaign program. newer players could tick easy, whilst more experienced players could could tick medium or hard. you could even have a 'insane' difficulty level!

another option is for the program to award points for each adventure. based on the difficulty setting and the various options/cards that get included. that way you could keep a running total as you go. in theory if you allocate the points in an appropiate manner, when the program generates the adventure the point total should also reflect the difficulty.

under this system players could decide to change difficulty mid campaign and the points rewarded would reflect that.

this also means players could try to beat there campaign scores. if for example you play a 5 adventure campaign and score 25 points, the next time you try a 5 adventure campaign you have another challenge, to beat 25 points.

hope that all makes sense. lol.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already do that, in a way.

Every single component, quest and advantage/challenge has a difficulty value. The quest itself has a difficulty rating, starting with 1 for the first adventure and then incrementing. If after throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks, there's a discrepancy between the intended difficulty and the actual difficulty, the macro adjusts by dishing out advantages or additional challenges. If after trying to balance the scenario out perfectly, it still remains too hard for that point in the campaign, the macro sighs, gives up, and includes that in the adventure sheet.

It's not perfect, in that it's designed to over or under-step, so you could have moments of mercy or instances where you're really challenged, but that's the gist of it.

The fun bit is, that aside from a very few hard-coded situations and difficulty ratings, it's all customisable from within the excel sheet by changing difficulty tags or adding extra content without touching the macro.

That's why, for example, in the very first adventure, the macro noticed that we were facing a boss, and so gave us an extra surge, and ally, a map, and villagers to use as meatshields.

My personal worry is that, as the stakes go higher, we're not very challenged because we're just tearing everything to pieces. We literally haven't used a healing surge since adventure 1, even though some of the scenarios sound difficult, at least compared to the official campaigns (apart from Ravenloft...). Maybe it's Drizzt's raw power, which, at this stage, is not given a difficulty value because it entails having to tell the macro who from the hero pool is going on a given adventure. Or maybe we're just lucky, or I need to adjust the difficulty so it goes up faster.

Looking at it this way, if we beat the campaign and I feel it was too easy, I'm going to code in some very nasty boss fights. Fancy fighting Strahd, Gravestorm, Ertuu and Ashardalon all at the same time, in one big chamber?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fairfaxx
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ahh thats cool.

getting the challenge right is very tricky. i have also noticed that drizzt is overpowered compared to some of the other heroes.

if there was a way to give the program feedback, either with the choice of heroes or after the adventure ends (to tick if the adventure was too easy or hard compared to what it was supposed to be) it would be amazing.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, not a bad idea.

The downside being that I couldn't pre-prepare and pre-print a stack of adventures ahead of time.

Still, this is an organic process. Anything might grow, in my hands or the hands of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fairfaxx
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
one of the things that I found tricky, was the balance of items gained, whether before the adventure started or during the adventure itself.

some items are clearly better than others. does the program take any items into account? maybe the top items should be flagged if they are in the hands of the adventurers.

the main one that springs to mind is the cloak (that lets the other player gain the recently activated monster) from ashardalon. it makes a huge difference to how many attacks you receive.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I don't rate items at all. That said, playing adventures that throw out treasure like confetti have a negative difficulty modifier to tip off the macro that extra challenges are needed.

Oh, Adventure 5: Hunting the Servants of Strahd II (The next thing I want to do is randomise the adventure names based on the additional challenges in play. Bear with me.)

This was mostly like adventure one, except without most of the advantages. We rampaged through the castle, killing off wraiths and ghouls, cornered the flesh golem and finished him quickly.

The one new rule i would mention is that the macro put out the routed enemies rule. The villain is removed from play if his HP is half his maximum. I thought it would be fun to see Strahd or Ashardalon early in the game as bossfights, but with this on to make it more of a sneak peak at their power. It made the golem really easy to scare off, though.

Anyway, the next one will be interesting if nothing else. It combines 2 scenarios to make a rather unique situation that I didn't foresee. I hope I'll have good things to say about it when I play it through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas here, mate - look forward to seeing what you come up with. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 6: Outlasting the Charnel House

This one was a blast. The normal level consists of attaching the 4 crypt corners to the start tile, and having monsters fall in through them every turn until we have enough kills to leave the level.

However, a special challenge turned the start tile into a dire chamber, with random chamber card and goal.

The result was a full-sized chamber, with the Duergar chief and a bunch of monsters charging us, and more monsters coming in via the corners. Not difficult, as such, but lots and lots of fun to hack away at the hordes.

Gwyn camped in a corner and ate everything that emerged. That was funny. Best moment was when the falling monster was a monster horde card, and i drew another monster horde immediately after, so I had 3 monsters fall in on the tile I was on and attack. Tornado Strike!

That done, we explored until we found the secret stairway and escaped.

Lots of experience, Drizzt got the enviable Dwarven Hammer, rapidfire crossbow, and I got the staff of the elements.

Next writeup coming when I play adventure 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 7: Challenging the Servants of Ashardalon

This time we start the dungeon, only to find that the start tile has been replaced by a chamber, like in the previous adventure. This time the chamber card is treasure horde. Easy to conquor, but it put Ashardalon Arrives in the encounter deck. The clock is ticking...

We explore the dungeon. We soon run into the 2nd quirk of the level: the Curse of Bloodshed. The ancient battlefield tile is placed instead of a normal tile, and place all heroes and monsters on that tile too. No one leaves until everything is dead. There are more rules governing the ancient battleground, but they don't come into play for this adventure. Wiping off some blood spatters, we continue.

We've almost finished the level when Ashardalon flies in courtesy of his special encounter. In the course of the next two turns, he bites, breathes, and kills Gwyn, and receives four special attacks, defeating him. I was honestly pleased to see his huge mini grace the board, but I'm like a 3-year old where large minis are concerned.

Two explores later, we've uncovered 9 tiles, which is this level's trigger for a random boss to show up. The Otyugh makes and appearance, and puts up a brief struggle before being defeated. Victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 8: Exploring the Underdark.

Quick and easy. Getting to the Surface Hollow. Started with an Ominous Chamber, containing an Elite Regiment. Once dealt with, I had to account for Ambushes, where exploring an area would reveal all unexplored locations adjecent to your position, each one with a monster. At the end, I managed to place 5 monsters on the board in 1 explore phase. We still fought our way through and escaped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 9: Banishing the Interloper - The Finale!

The final mission was to defeat Ertuu, who showed up on the Deep Chasm tile for a rather obvious book/movie reference.

The quest had a couple of interesting points. Firstly, door tiles were used with Drizzt cavern tiles. They popped in whenever you placed a tile, in any 2-wide opening that didn't have an arrow pointing at it. Worked surprisingly well, and made the Underdark seem more confined and oppressive. Also meant that Tarak could kick a door open for the final confrontation.

Also, whenever someone explored on this level, they must also place a cavern edge tile adjacent to their current location, due to collapsing tunnels.

Finally, there was a sun track, which moved forward with every black arrow drawn. When the time was up, a Ravenloft villain came down the start tile ladder to stalk us. It was the werewolf, who we dispatched with little trouble.

Ertuu himself wasn't much more of a problem, even though we each had to draw 2 monsters and place them adjacent to him when we placed Ertuu. That made for a cool lookin scene, with 2 orc archers, a duergar and a kobold packed into a tight corridor defending their master.

And that concludes the campaign. So far my impressions have been that it made for varied adventures, but didn't provide enough of a challenge, compared to Wrath of Ashardalon and especially Ravenloft. I'm not sure if this was purely because we had Drizzt, or if all vanilla campaigns end up feeling that way when the players had enough items.

I'm going to make a few typo fixes and minor corrections/clarifications that I observed during play, and then I'll upload the spreadsheet and you can all tell me what you think.

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
msg tools
Really enjoyed everything you have shared so far, keep up the good work .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Conway
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
miscalculation wrote:

And that concludes the campaign. So far my impressions have been that it made for varied adventures, but didn't provide enough of a challenge, compared to Wrath of Ashardalon and especially Ravenloft. I'm not sure if this was purely because we had Drizzt, or if all vanilla campaigns end up feeling that way when the players had enough items.

I've definitely found in Wrath of Ashardalon that the game becomes far too easy when everyone is loaded up with treasure. However I have also found that having more than three players and different combinations of characters makes it all easier too.

I don't have LoD yet, but everything I've heard suggests the characters (especially Drizzt) are very powerful indeed, so that could definitely be throwing the balance off in this case.

I guess the question is re: SCIENCE is whether you want a game like WoA/LoD/CR to be difficult or just about rolling dice and bashing monsters with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Frank
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dig your work here as well as your play by play on em. I'm really looking forward to the spreadsheet so I can try this out myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear a few people want to try it out.

I uploaded it a couple of days ago. Still waiting for approval... I guess it takes longer to approve a file than a picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fairfaxx
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
had a thought about the items gained during the campaign. you could possibly enter a total gold amount or maybe total item amount for all the items you have before entering the next adventure. the adventure will increase the difficulty maybe to match the power growth in heroes.

another way would be to increase the monsters that pop on a tile depending how many items/gold points you have. ie once you have 4000gp you get 2 monsters, then 8000gp is 3 monsters etc. you would have to balance out the numbers but could help.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a bad idea. The only problem I see is that it will discourage heroes from picking up gold and items.

One possible fix would be to limit the available item slots for a hero. 1 weapon, 1 armour or shield, one potion, one other item. Everything else can stay in the tavern, insurance against having your best stuff lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.