Subject: Are you scientifically literate? Quiz at the CSM. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/1209/Are-you-scientifi...

I scored 45 / 50 with no cheating and taking the quiz pretty quickly (less than 15 minutes). I missed 6, 9, 44, 45, 47.

I know, I know, some of the questions are a bit silly for a science literacy test. But that's how these things always go.

How did you do?

Poll
My score on the science literacy test was...
46 - 50
41 - 45
36 - 40
31 - 35
26 - 30
21 - 25
16 - 20
11 - 15
6 - 10
0 - 5
      150 answers
Poll created by mdp4828
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of scientific literacy, I haven't even learned the alphabet yet.

I started the quiz, then realised that any answer I got right was basically a guess, so stopped at around question 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
44/50.

But I accidently answered how many nanometres in a metre and not a centimetre for 6. blush

Others I got wrong: 13, 18, 23, 41 and 47
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
36/50. 4 or 5 of those I got wrong were silly mistakes from rushing, the rest I genuinely didn't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:

But I accidently answered how many nanometres in a metre and not a centimetre for 6. blush

Exact same thing I did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 45 right without cheating or looking things up.

I had to guess on 2 questions (the "-nimbus" question and the catalyzer question) and got one of them right. I learned that the catalyzer is made of Palladium, not Platinum as I thought. At least it was good for something and quite entertaining during lunch break.

At now I know that my 15 years of scientific training were not in vain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

39/50

But, the quiz was clearly biased. The quiz ought not to be exclusionary and allow the ignorant to do as well as those who know the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Horton
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
45 for me.

Fat fingered age of universe.

Heaviest noble gas, ancestor of human continent, meiosis vs mitosis and catalytic converter were my slip ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
39/50

missed 6,9,12,16,17,18,23,29,37,40,44

A lot of those were reaching waaaaay back to the last time I had a science class (high school). At least I got the Bible one right. That would have been embarrassing, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got the first ten right, so, lacking the time and patience to continue, I'm just going to assume the rest will give me no trouble... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exact same thing I did

Seriously, who uses centimetres!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This reminded me of an upper-classman whose pastime was the ability to convert between any two given numbers by finding the right unit. So, you might say 10 Kg and 0.074 and he'd come back later with 0.074 erg-m2/deciwatt ohm cubit, or some non-sensical unit.

I found it interesting how it demonstrates the interconnectivity of, well, everthing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Exact same thing I did

Seriously, who uses centimetres!

You'd be surprised how particular units become cultural. In Canada one would say, "give me 500 g of ham." In Hungary, they'd say "50 deka, please," meaning 50 dekagrams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
36 and that was a poorly designed site, having to click to see if you were right and then again to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
47/50

I got 22, 35, and 47 wrong. To be fair the logarithmic base is really a math question, and I never had a meteorology class.

I'm also a science teacher with a Masters degree, so I guess it's not really fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
You'd be surprised how particular units become cultural. In Canada one would say, "give me 500 g of ham." In Hungary, they'd say "50 deka, please," meaning 50 dekagrams.

Oh, sure. I mean, my friends (that are my age or less) can all be divided into those who know feet and inches (=those who miniature gamed) and those who don't (=everyone else).

But it's a science quiz! A centimetre is perverse a measurement as hectometre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
31, worst of everyone according to the poll, but fk that, I've got common sense and a gun

The result coincides with my age ... so I suppose I'll get back in 19 years and pwn the bruomosfloriscide out of you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
31, worst of everyone according to the poll, but fk that, I've got common sense and a gun

The result coincides with my age ... so I suppose I'll get back in 19 years and pwn the bruomosfloriscide out of you

Don't worry; I think if I'd continued to the end, I wouldn't have got more than 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
41. I was surprised at how many of them could be answered with non-scientific information. A little familiarity with Greek and Latin was awesome. Heck, even Poe's "The Raven" can help (if you happen to recall that it includes the line, "pallid bust of Pallas" and know that the bust was Athena, not that I have any idea how that stuck in my head).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
38/50..
Of the twelve I missed, I picked the correct answer on 7 of them but changed my answer before checking! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
48. Got the zygote and coefficient of friction questions wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
44 here, missed 9,15,25,29,38 and 47.

I would not have done nearly as well without the multiple choice options.

In all but the last, my second choice was the right one.

15 has always given me fits for some reason (and I have degrees in ME and EE )

I think I knew the answer to 25, but the name threw me off...

for 29, I had ruled out the correct answer due to "knowing" it was higher so took the answer I did by default.

38, I overthought it.

Interesting quiz, but I agree that knowing some Greek roots helped as much as my science education.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I got an incomplete.

Ditto.

That wasn't a test, it was the nerd-equivalent of Kookie and his comb. Think about it - does it really matter in the greater scheme of things which of Newton's Laws was the "first"?

It wasn't even a fun test because it didn't have any pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
41/50

I'd make a lousy biologist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I scored a 34/50. Pretty angry at myself, though, since I could have had around a 40/50 if I had just trusted my first answer on a few. Oh well, good to know that after being out of school for over 10 years, I still haven't learned to NOT change your answers. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.