Subject: So Disappointing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Micro Mutants is expertly played and easily grasped by my 3 and 6 year old sons. They both clamor for new armies and I was really excited to see this listed. Instead it is a dummed down version of an already simple game. :-/ If a three year old can memorize and command the entire mix of 20 bugs in Micro Mutants, for whom is an even simpler version designed? Toddlers?

There aren't even enough bugs per color to make our own rules and use them in the real game.

Bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree, and perhaps this is a common sentiment.

However, the overriding thing for me is that this still represents some kind of growth and development for the game. As long as the designers are doing something with the mechanics of Micro Mutants, I'll buy it. If Micro Monsters seems too simple, then I'll just treat it as my "travel edition" of Micro Mutants.

As I said in another recent thread, I firmly believe the designers could do so much more with Micro Mutants....possibly even some sort of "sequel" in which they do something completely different but still involving the mechanics we all know and love.

Perhaps Micro Mutants is a hard game to market, because most hardcore gamers probably won't even give it a chance. Yet its simple dexterity mechanics make for just the right balance of skill and luck. It is also quite rich in both tactics and strategy, but you have to spend some time with it before you can appreciate just how good Micro Mutants is.

Anyway, that's why I'll support the designers in any endeavor related to Micro Mutants. Maybe they'll follow-up Micro Monsters with something more advanced than even Micro Mutants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I like so much about the game (which my boys call "Flipbugs") is how quickly the luck element is reduced to the dice mechanic from what people assume is the ocean of vagary surrounding where and how your pieces will move. Every nerd I show the game is astounded when my three year old rolls the dice, says, "Ok, a worker and a saboteur!" followed by, "And now I'll squish that guy with my worker", *flip* *squish*, "And I'll use my saboteur on that BASE!", *flip* *damage*.

The game, the pieces, the rules, everything fits so well together. And again, what other war game can you play with a three year old, pull no punches, and have a really competitive fight on your hands?

Honestly, this Monsters release just doesn't appeal to me at all apart from perhaps using them as hard copy for house rules. Maybe they are four bands of mercenaries we could draft before the game adding in a third move per turn or something.

*shrug*

P.S.: It is also a hell of a post bed time drinking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Micro Mutants is expertly played and easily grasped by my 3 and 6 year old sons (...) If a three year old can memorize and command the entire mix of 20 bugs in Micro Mutants, for whom is an even simpler version designed? Toddlers?

Your 3 year old can memorize the bug powers in Micro Mutants and play the game? I am seriously impressed.

Unfortunately, this seems to be very far from the norm, and as someone else pointed out, Micro Mutants (and X-bugs before) have always proved very hard to market.

But this is not really the point of the issue: Micro Monsters is a different game, aimed to kids about 5 years old or above (6+ on the box). So, hardly a game to satisfy the young adults and adults who enjoyed the previous incarnations - unless they play Micro Monsters with the smaller kids in their house.

This game is not meant to supplant Micro Mutants, but its design is aimed to keep to a bare minimum the complexity of that game (both rules-wise and graphically), while keeping some of the improvements that the original games introduced to the basic tiddlywinks mechanics (die to randomize the choice of chip to move, and different sizes and stickers to identify them). A new version of the game for a younger audience, very fast and very simple. Period.

As a conclusion, I for one would like to see Micro Mutants return as a Ares product. When Nexus folded, we already had finalised a full two-army expansion, and were getting ready for a second. So, show Ares some tiddlywinks love and they might materialise one day!

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He'll be four in May, but he's been avidly playing the game, heck, most days of the week since Christmas. Other people have expressed surprise at that. Maybe I should make a video. Thing is, I'm a homeschool Dad in a fairly remote area: I don't have other kids to compare to mine and so don't know if they are particularly good or bad at anything. He does have trouble with remembering the advanced game upgrades though, but, so do I.

We REALLY love Flipbugs (micromutants). I want to reiterate that and thank you for your design. It's an admittedly hard sell to my nerd herd and I totally understand how hard it would be to market. Each and every person I've introduced to the game has loved it however, and most have bought it. It's just, man, the Fantasy Flight production of it? $50 retail for a box of goofy plastic bugs. I'm surprised they sold any at all. (Mine was a winter blow out $10.) What a conundrum! Knowing NOW of course, I'd have paid the $50 easy, just from sheer play value: I don't think a game in our house has as many hours played, maybe ever.

I wish you all the luck with future releases, and you have at least two or three households of instant retail buys for any and all expansions! Till then my son's will continue to design their own, the Militia-pedes and the Metamor-foes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
He'll be four in May, but he's been avidly playing the game, heck, most days of the week since Christmas. Other people have expressed surprise at that.

I'm delighted to know that! Micro Mutants will always hold a special spot in my heart. It's the first design we did that attracted attention from the international market, and placed us on many maps, so to speak.

navajas wrote:
I wish you all the luck with future releases, and you have at least two or three households of instant retail buys for any and all expansions! Till then my son's will continue to design their own, the Militia-pedes and the Metamor-foes!

This is one of the aspects that I have always loved with X-bugs/Micro Mutants - people soon start to make up their own armies. There were actually a few good ones around the web, complete with artwork and rules.

Anyway, thank you for the good words, and for playing so much of that game. I dearly hope that Micro Monsters will succeed and pave the way for more tiddlywink action!

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.