10 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: The Future of Summoner Wars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a stupid question, but what do you think the future is for summoner wars? On the dicetower review of the latest factions, Tom said he thought these were the last factions. It makes sense that they would be but the app is also coming out so there should be more players than ever. There's already an abundance of cards but it would be cool to see what they could come up with next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosley
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that plan is to come out with new Summoners for each faction now. SO thats going to be sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Colby has said several times that as long as people keep asking for more, he'll keep making more.

I understand that the next thing coming is basically more reinforcement packs, this time with alternate summoners (and probably event cards), but after that I'm fairly certain we'll end up seeing new factions again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:
I'm pretty sure Colby has said several times that as long as people keep asking for more, he'll keep making more.

I understand that the next thing coming is basically more reinforcement packs, this time with alternate summoners (and probably event cards), but after that I'm fairly certain we'll end up seeing new factions again.

No, these will be new DECKS. We are talking new Summoners with matching events along with commons and champions that are fully compatible with the original decks and reinforcements.

These are going to be released in the same release order as the original decks (CG, GD, PE, TO then V, C, FC, JE then Master Set/Mercenaries & Filth).

Edit: That is assuming a 4 pack/deck release cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:

No, these will be new DECKS. We are talking new Summoners with matching events along with commons and champions that are fully compatible with the original decks and reinforcements.

These are going to be released in the same release order as the original decks (CG, GD, PE, TO then V, C, FC, JE then Master Set/Mercenaries & Filth).

Edit: That is assuming a 4 pack/deck release cycle.

Matching meaning it goes with the new summoner, not matching the current events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see where playtasting and keeping the factions balanced will start to get out of hand. Having said that I would still love to see more factions and if not I'd love to see...

1. The mechanic built upon in some form be it a sci-fi setting perhaps with walls replaced by drop ships or personnel carriers, perhaps shield cards that provide some defence between them in a straight line, or even ammo tokens.

2. Summoner Wars Advance with a larger deck, board, longer playtime and a few tweaks to the rules, maybe even using the existing factions.

3. Anything that fills my appetite for Summoner Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are those of us who would also love to see a Summoner Wars RPG because of how interesting the backstories that have been written are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
I can see where playtasting and keeping the factions balanced will start to get out of hand.

The Plaid Hat crew managed to keep 16 decks + reinforcements + mercenaries in near perfect balance. With a record like that I can't see things getting suddenly out of whack with the release of new summoners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
DonSilvarro wrote:
The Plaid Hat crew managed to keep 16 decks + reinforcements + mercenaries in near perfect balance. With a record like that I can't see things getting suddenly out of whack with the release of new summoners.

I think you may underestimate the amount of time they devote to play testing(new faction x 16 x Plays) and I can't think of another reason that Colby would say that the latest factions are the last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
DonSilvarro wrote:

I think you may underestimate the amount of time they devote to play testing(new faction x 16 x Plays) and I can't think of another reason that Colby would say that the latest factions are the last.

One thing we've found with the majority of our fan/user base is that they don't do as much deck building as we at first thought. So, our first goal in playtesting is to make sure that the stock decks are all at about the right relative power level... i.e. do they seem to win about half of their games against the field? Because of how build magic works, getting the summoner's ability, events, and starting setup right are the most important factors in balance.

Once that's done we try to mess around with deck builds and see if something goofy can happen when you have too many of certain commons or combinations of champions. Much of this is pretty easy to spot, mathematically, when units are kind of ahead of the power curve, it seems obvious how to curb them a little. This job is getting harder, but we've got some new people on board (and will soon get more) who are into the deck construction side of things.

It is our belief and mission that the majority of players will find the game pretty balanced. If someone finds abusive combos, they're usually pretty excited about it and that's a certain kind of joy for them anyway, and unless we have hundreds of testers, I doubt we'd find them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.