Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have just bought the game, and realised that it contained an extra game......that of setting it up. My goodness, this does take some time. I'm not complaining, cause this really does look like a good game. The only thing is, and I hope someone can put me straight on this, is the start for two players. Are the first placements of the three people just for position, or do you do the actions with the one piece. ie...place the one piece on a crew, then gain a crew, or have you got to purchase a ship before the crew. I haven't studied the rules although I have read them briefly, yet I am still confused. Can someone guide me please on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
Are the first placements of the three people just for position, or do you do the actions with the one piece.

Yes, you do the corresponding actions.

The only thing you don't do the first two turns is move the little action pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One thing that I didn't ask in my first write up was, to start, it gets you to put your first two pieces on one of the tokens, then says do the action. Does that mean that just for the first go you do an action with the placement of the two pieces then with the one piece afterwards, because after that, you only do the action with the single piece, whilst the pair of pieces are only used as markers. (I think)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
diceman56 wrote:
I have just bought the game, and realised that it contained an extra game......that of setting it up. My goodness, this does take some time.

It's really not as bad as it looks. If you put the small ship parts into small lidded containers you can just put those out instead (you don't need all these parts on the main board), and both the canal sections and train wagons are very simple as they require no special ordering. You can instruct someone else to handle the ship sections, and by then you're nearly done already.

As for the two piece-single piece thing: they indicate which of your two actions is the 'oldest'. The game needs some serious blocking on the action rondel track, and if only two places were occupied, the game would be too easy. So what happens is, once your single and double pieces are on the board:

- take both markers in the double piece;
- move one of them to the remaining single piece marker;
- move the tile the double piece was on to the front of the action rondel;
- and place the marker still in your hand on a free action except the one you just moved.

This ensures that actions remain occupied for a sufficiently long time even with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I have just bought the game, and realised that it contained an extra game......that of setting it up. My goodness, this does take some time. I'm not complaining, cause this really does look like a good game...

If this is a problem, then don't even think about getting Agricola & its expansion!!! And I'm not even mentioning the fact that you practically need an 4x6 foot playing area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lloyd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm going to address the setup issues with my set as follows

- One of the issues we had in our initial game was that the player on the far side of the board couldn't see the ship and canal tracks because the enormous towers of tiles were blocking his view. Seems to me that it makes much more sense for these tiles to be chosen from opaque bags (like, e.g., Tigris and Euphrates), so I'm getting some small drawstring bags for these.

- I'm going to get some bits of cardboard to allow me to split the box into 8 sections so that I can put the equipment and crew pieces into one each (the spaces on the board are really too small, especially if you end up knocking the piles over during the game).

- Not a setup issue this, but I'm also going to stick some thick card behind the player boards. IMHO, its a bit feeble that these are just bits of paper.

Shame that the execution of this game was so eccentric - my gaming group really enjoy playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.