United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyker wrote:
The manual Only refers to players

Yes, they qualify as defenders.....you are still attacking them and need to determine initiative normally as well as all the other aspects of the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonster wrote:
Lyker wrote:
The manual Only refers to players

Yes, they qualify as defenders.....you are still attacking them and need to determine initiative normally as well as all the other aspects of the battle.

There is a statement in the core rulebook that Ancients are ALWAYS defenders. (In the expansion this might matter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
tranenturm wrote:
There is a statement in the core rulebook that Ancients are ALWAYS defenders. (In the expansion this might matter)

Actually, I don't believe that explicit statement exists, in either version of the rules or the FAQ. I know the ancients are considered defenders, and I thought the same thing ("it's in the rules") but when I went to find it to confirm the answer to the OP's question, I couldn't see it anywhere. Looked several times. It's only a logical progression from other things which are stated (earlier party is the defender, ancients/gcds battle happens last.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might not be in the rules but there is no way in the base game that the ancients can't be the defender, because they were in the hex before you got there (even if Draco puts a disk there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please open your hymnals to page 18, second paragraph from the top. (Second rulebook print run as posted in the files section)

Quote:
If a hex contains more than two parties, battles are first resolved among the players' Ships with the sole surviving player then engaging the Ancients or the GCDS in battle.

Then paragraph 7

Quote:
Each Ship type (Interceptor, Cruiser...) of each player are activated in Initiative order. The Ship type with the highest Initiative goes first. All Initiative ties are resolved in the defender’s favor. The defender is always the player who has an Influence Disc on the hex. In the case of a hex with no disc, or a hex with more than two players, the defender is the player who moved there first.

So for the base game, the Ancient is always the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.