Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, I had proposed that players play both sides and evaluate to handle case of British side being too dominant. Another proposal I am am suggesting is players bid turns. Both players bid they can win the game in X turns. Player who bid least amount of turns needs to do it within X turns, or they lose the game.

Anyone feel there is a possible answer in this proposal to be useful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
In another thread, I had proposed that players play both sides and evaluate to handle case of British side being too dominant. Another proposal I am am suggesting is players bid turns. Both players bid they can win the game in X turns. Player who bid least amount of turns needs to do it within X turns, or they lose the game.

Anyone feel there is a possible answer in this proposal to be useful?

Just my thought (and not regarding the game as I have not played it).

Has this "mechanic" been used in any games? I find it interesting. I know you can bid for tricks/points in many card games but bidding to win in X amount of turns seems different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also bid by how many regular troop cards you would remove from the game to have the right to win with the British. The player who removes the most troops gets Britain.
This bidding process is used in Axis and Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is, such a solution forces the British to use the HH, which means you are forced to play in a one-dimensional and very repetitive way. It's hardly any fun.
And at some point the number of needed rounds with optimal play will be established and a new solution will be required, so it's more of a stop gap measure than a real fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that the Brits will still use their thin deck engine to crank out a point victory. They don't need the HH to win against the French (or so I've read).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
solkan1 wrote:
The problem is, such a solution forces the British to use the HH, which means you are forced to play in a one-dimensional and very repetitive way. It's hardly any fun.
And at some point the number of needed rounds with optimal play will be established and a new solution will be required, so it's more of a stop gap measure than a real fix.
It'll also lead to many gamey tricks by French players I suspect. It'll for sure change the entire feel of the game, and is that what we really want in a fix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bishop
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An authenticaly unbalanced game is no more fun than any other unbalanced game.
According to a couple of forums, this game seems to be particularly unbalanced - I really hope they are wrong, I will know as soon as the publisher finally ships out new copies. But if it is true, then I prefer a balanced game than whatever the designer had in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prisme wrote:
An authenticaly unbalanced game is no more fun than any other unbalanced game.
According to a couple of forums, this game seems to be particularly unbalanced - I really hope they are wrong, I will know as soon as the publisher finally ships out new copies. But if it is true, then I prefer a balanced game than whatever the designer had in mind.

From what I'm reading here, you are going to pay full price just to check for yourself whether or not the game is broken?

I'm curious, what are your plans when you try out the game and can find no way to overcome the Halifax Hammer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls