Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I've played this loads, but realised I might have been playing it wrong. If an investigator attacks with a weapon, and uses its action, do they need to do an evade test?

For example the Tommy Gun weapon says "Action: if Tommy Gun does damage make another attack" (or words to that effect). Does that mean the investigator needs to make an evade check to use it with that action? It is an attack, and an action at the same time.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
An investigator never has to evade to make an attack. It is the one action that can be done, without evading. So, with Tommy Gun, they would not have to evade, twice, because they are making attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
SDW740 wrote:
I've played this loads, but realised I might have been playing it wrong. If an investigator attacks with a weapon, and uses its action, do they need to do an evade test?

For example the Tommy Gun weapon says "Action: if Tommy Gun does damage make another attack" (or words to that effect). Does that mean the investigator needs to make an evade check to use it with that action? It is an attack, and an action at the same time.

Ummmmmmmm, what made you think that you needed to perform an Evade Test before performing an Attack Action?

Or, in other words, no you do not need to perform an Evade Test before performing your Attack Action.

For the rulebook page 14
Quote:
Evade Tests
An investigator must make an evade test against every monster
in his space before moving or performing non-attack actions.

Since an Attack Action is, by it's definition, an attack action, you do not take an Evade test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Also, note that an investigator is never required to make more than one Evade test per monster per turn. If you begin your turn next to a monster, feel free to explore the room, cast Soul Pact, drink Saturnian Wine, and move away (assuming you have Magnifying Glass and Ruby of R'lyeh to let you actually take all those actions), all for the price of a single Evade check.

So no, you don't make any evade checks, but even if you did, you'd still only make one (per monster).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
And, while this nothing to do with Attacks, I feel it is a worthy reminder that even if you fail an Evade test you can still Explore, Move, whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chandler
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An extension of the original question: If you attack and fail to Kill the monster. Do you have to do an evade check to mave away from the monster after teh attack. Or, does the attack divert the monsters attention giving you time to evade without requireing the skill check.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
chanms wrote:
An extension of the original question: If you attack and fail to Kill the monster. Do you have to do an evade check to mave away from the monster after teh attack. Or, does the attack divert the monsters attention giving you time to evade without requireing the skill check.

Assuming you didn't stun it then the same rule applies.

For the rulebook page 14
Quote:
Evade Tests
in his space before moving.

It doesn't matter if you attacked it before or after the move. If you want to move then you must evade the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
SDW740 wrote:

Ummmmmmmm, what made you think that you needed to perform an Evade Test before performing an Attack Action?

Or, in other words, no you do not need to perform an Evade Test before performing your Attack Action.

For the rulebook page 14
Quote:
Evade Tests
in his space before moving or performing non-attack actions.

Since an Attack Action is, by it's definition, an attack action, you do not take an Evade test.

I realise an attack action doesn't need an evade. The rule book also states that "card ability actions" do require an evade test as it isn't necessarily an attack. E.g. It could be an action such as using Jenny's letter. But what if the action was part of an attack? It is an attack, as well as a "card ability action"

For example: Michael McGlen (with the tommy gun) is in the same space as a monster. For his action, he can attack, with no evade test, or use the "card ability" and make an attack using the action on the card giving him the possibility of attacking twice, but needing an evade test. It is an attack, and a "card ability action"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The fact that it's an Attack is what matters. All non-unarmed Attacks are "card ability actions" if you look at it that way; every weapon is written "Action: Attack a monster...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.