Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Belief, the last prison of Mankind
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to call this by its given name. For us this will just be "the Stone Age expansion". If a new expansion comes out, this will become "the first Stone Age expansion". Just my $0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as I'm usually biggest card buyer at our tables, and that with the expansion jewelery translates into more cards and a dump converter for building huts... I really don't see a reason for 'Style' to not be my goal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb

Talisman or Trade and Charms are both way better names
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in English, style is the goal, but in German it is a means of achieving it. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MavL
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually "Troc et Breloques" (roughly "Trade and Charms") was not the final name Filosofia ended up giving the expansion for the French version. I too thought it was a better name than the English version. But it was changed to "L'extension" ("The expansion") just before release. My guess is they heard the voices of all those who, like the OP here, thought the name was... not that good.

Here'a link to the news on trictrac about this with a picture of the new name :
http://www.trictrac.net/index.php3?id=jeux&rub=actualite&inf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the name is pretty horrible. Seriously bad. I love the base game, but the bad naming makes me wonder how well this whole expansion was really thought out. I'll reserve final judgment until a few more reviews roll in, but I'm in no rush to get this one, that's for sure.

I wonder how the following popular games would have gone over if they had names like this:
- "Twilight Struggle: Influence is the Goal"
- "Dominion: Duchies are the Goal"
- "Agricola: Farming is the Goal"
- "Power Grid: Electricity is the Goal"
- "Ticket to Ride: The Longest Train is the Goal"
- "A Few Acres of Snow: Canada is the Goal"
- "Carcassonne: Meeples are the Goal"
- "7 Wonders: Civic Structures or Science or Military or Trade or Some Combination of Those Things is the Goal"

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
I refuse to call this by its given name. For us this will just be "the Stone Age expansion". If a new expansion comes out, this will become "the first Stone Age expansion". Just my $0.02

Dude...you own over 250 BOARDGAMES and you spend a large portion of your time at BoardGameGEEK. Are you worried calling it by its name will make you seem like some kind of nerd or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they had to go with this as the title, stupid as it is. All other words were already taken. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the name was originally supposed to be "Stone Age: Winning with Style" but it got lost in translation somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Stuver
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but...

Stone Age 2: Prehistoric Boogaloo

Just call it that and move on with life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I clicked on this game title because I thought it was a joke. Clearly no english speaking person played any (sensible) role in selecting the title. Wow, it's horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Radcliffe
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
I clicked on this game title because I thought it was a joke. Clearly no english speaking person played any (sensible) role in selecting the title. Wow, it's horrible.

Why is it horrible? Humans from any period appreciate beauty, and the expansion centres around bringing the aesthetic touch to an otherwise nasty, brutish and short life.

I'm not saying its realistic, but perhaps characterising our forbears as doomed, sacks of misery is probably doing them a dis-service.

Maybe its just that this is a euro game made by very SERIOUS German people and played by very SERIOUS gamers.

I like the name. And German people can be just as silly as anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreOfParadise wrote:
Why is it horrible?

IMHO, the name is horrible because the phrase "is the Goal" is clunky, unnatural sounding, and hard to say with a straight face. Even something more streamlined like "Stone Age Style" would be significantly better. The chosen name detracts from the game itself by making the absurd title the focus of most of the attention regarding this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreOfParadise wrote:
Why is it horrible?

I agree with Mr. Blue. The original German title, "Mit Stil zum Ziel" is a silly name even in German, but at least it rhymes and uses an actual German turn of phrase. The English title is pretty much a direct translation of the German title. They didn't bother making it rhyme or even make much sense in English. Any decent translator would have chosen a title that conveys the spirit of the original but still sounds and "feels" right to a native English speaker. These guys failed miserably at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Komendera
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
SabreOfParadise wrote:

Why is it horrible?

When I first saw this, I thought it was one of those joke expansions, similar to Carcassonne: The Catapult, the Agricola X-Deck, and the Mannekin Pis / Stevie Wonder promos for 7 Wonders. These expansions don't appeal to me, because it seems the designers traded good design for strange humor (the backbone of the classic Munchkin). Such humor gets old fast. My wife and I both really like Stone Age, but when I saw this in a store and showed it to her, she said "My God" and rolled her eyes. I'll probably get it now that I know there's more to it than the humor aspect.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I bought The Catapult anyway blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, it's cheesy in a fun B-movie way, in the same way I like the title Snakes on a Plane.

And hey the gameplay of the expansion is what matters, and it really is a great addition to the game. A rose by any other name, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Santa Fe Springs
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Johnny, and additionally, I harbor a private hope that the designer himself had a hand in the naming of his own work, and that it is a reflection of (possibly) a quirky sense of humor on his part.

I'm pretty sure "Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age" (together with that awful boring brown box) has already set the bar for un-enticing game names. This Style Expansion can't even touch that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtually anything would have made a better title without even trying. Even if humor was the intention. A few possibilities include:

-Stone Age: The Fifth Player
-Stone Age: Now With Black Meeples!
-Stone Age: Teeth n' Stuff
-Stone Age: It's Bling Time, Motherf**kers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:
Virtually anything would have made a better title without even trying. Even if humor was the intention. A few possibilities include:

I feel like I've seen this comment before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WiltChamberlain wrote:
Monkeyman wrote:

As do I. Something must be wrong with the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WiltChamberlain wrote:

Nope, it's definitely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.