Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are significant differences. I'm sure there's a thread in the forum somewhere with details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played 1st edition but I'd suggest to buy 2nd edition. The 1st edition has more cards but no special genes. 2nd edition has special genes but a bit less cards. Special genes add more tension to auctions and smaller draw deck isn't that random. The special genes really add to game, it's what really makes your dinos special, really cool thing. There was something about the combat resolution. At least I like it the way it's handled in 2nd. Also one little rule with birth phase( you can chain with newly born babies). Maybe even more? I'm not expert with 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 1st edition rules and artwork better, but the weatherboard for 2nd edition looks soooo much better. The thing I don't like about the game are the cards, and the special genes of 2nd edition seem so much better.

I would say get 2nd edition, but download the 1st edition rulebook and consider using those rules. Notable differences include:

1) In first edition, you could not place a new dino next to a new "baby" dino that just came in this turn. Second edition did away with this "baby dino" distinction.
2) In first edition, there was no maximum bid so a foolish player could bid all his points away in a bidding war. In 2nd edition, the highest bid is 6 so if you bid 6 then you are guaranteed to win that gene.
3) There is one less gene drawn each turn in the 2nd edition. In 1st edition, this rule was a variant used for more cutthroat play - one that was highly advised to use by BGG players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I like the 1st edition rules and artwork better, but the weatherboard for 2nd edition looks soooo much better. The thing I don't like about the game are the cards, and the special genes of 2nd edition seem so much better.

I would say get 2nd edition, but download the 1st edition rulebook and consider using those rules. Notable differences include:

1) In first edition, you could not place a new dino next to a new "baby" dino that just came in this turn. Second edition did away with this "baby dino" distinction.
2) In first edition, there was no maximum bid so a foolish player could bid all his points away in a bidding war. In 2nd edition, the highest bid is 6 so if you bid 6 then you are guaranteed to win that gene.
3) There is one less gene drawn each turn in the 2nd edition. In 1st edition, this rule was a variant used for more cutthroat play - one that was highly advised to use by BGG players.

I forgot the climate wheel. It's really nice.

I can comment some of the things you mentioned.

Cards and special genes: Cards tend to be the loser's option, so the one time effects have to be good. I think the special genes are balanced even if they seem to be really strong. Those things never go cheaply unless the players are playing horribly.

1) Birth phase is certainly more interesting in my opinion in the 2nd edition. New dinos open new opportunities and other players should be aware where each player is expanding that they won't be blocked.

2) 6 is a lot points. It may be reasonable in the couple first rounds. If you have the discount, then it may become tempting option sometimes, more with two discounts. In the probable last fours turns also paying 4 becomes questionable. Too many 6 bids will ruin your game. If somebody goes straight for six then others should react and not pay themselves broken for the remaining genes. I really like that you have evaluate if you should or save the money, and what each gene is really worth in the end. Almost like bidding for stocks.

3) One less gene than players, but somebody gets a card. So for example in a four player game , one player gets a card and each of the three players gets a gene. Cards can be really good but they are one time use, genes are permanent, so you'll prefer genes, especially in the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
There are significant differences. I'm sure there's a thread in the forum somewhere with details.

yup, and it's not hard to find either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it really that hard to find a thread called "Differences between Eurogames and Asmodée editions" that is on the second page of the general forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jaded snippiness aside, I recommend the OP check out that thread, as it contains a lot of useful information I had forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why nobody notice the significant change in auction for genes. I mean: if a player has been outbid, "the new bid must be on a different column." This is exactly the same as auction in Cyclades. Although I think this is very antithematic, it leads to interesting situations (as well as in Cyclades).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen anybody comment on the difference in quality of the components, namely, the gene tiles and player boards. In the original Evo, the boards are nice cardboard stock, in the new, they're a flimsy sheet. The gene tiles are sturdy and a good size in the old, oddly shaped and tiny in the new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nik holliday
United Kingdom
Appin
Argyll & Bute
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...and let`s not forget that in the 1st edition it was compulsory to make a "comedy" dino, with fur/horns/legs sprouting from anatomically "unusual" parts of it`s body. Also, I preferred the idea of dinos evolving parasols to protect them from global warming. Thermogenic Layering? Just not the same, is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.