Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Diplomacy Card loophole rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ryan nard
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
So last turn, another player played the diplomacy card because I had surrounded his home planet on two territory's and a supernova. He had nowhere to move so he used a combination of the action cards flank speed and in the silence of space to move past my two bordering systems and into one of my systems (which i did not have any units on but i owned both the planets and had a space dock on one of the planets in the system) He then took over the system and took both the planets in the system saying they did not have any units therefore they were not acts of war because the space dock is not a unit. I said that it was against the diplomacy card because technically I own the planets and since i own them, declaring that they are now his requires an invasion and therefore he is not allowed to take them. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space docks are most definitely units.

So his move was illegal. In the rulebook under the description of the space dock the first words are "The Space Dock unit..."

Leaders are the only thing that you control that are technically not units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silence of space only allows you to move through 1 tile of enemy fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
As pointed out already, Space Docks are units. Diplomacy I disallows activating a system containing each other's units, so the activation was illegal.

An actual loophole in Diplomacy is that a Player C may clear a system of units of Player A so that Player B may take the system when Player A and B were Diplomacy'd.

A hilarious loophole in Diplomacy II is that if the system has no ships, any of the other players may attack an adjacent system and declare a withdrawal into the activated system.

To further clarify parts of your question, any planet you control in a system containing none of your units is fair game for the other player to invade. This breaks Trade Agreements, but does not violate Diplomacy, as it only restricts activation of systems containing the other player's units. Because of that restriction, you may fire Deep Space Cannon enhanced PDS when the other player activates their systems, but you cannot activate their systems, even if it's for the sole purpose of PDS fire or to waste an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.