Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
172 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: [ P ] & [ S ] Gov-Scott Walker repeals "equality pay" Act. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
This 'alleged guy' is S-U-C-H a "low-lifeform" that 'piles of shit' aspire to become "Like" himself! Equal Pay Act Rescinded
coalcoalcoalcoal
THREE ARE FOUR PILES OF SCOTT WALKER
wow ~4"Q"sSW
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He doesn't have much longer, the recall election is in June.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
He doesn't have much longer, the recall election is in June.


Well you can't vote there because he's in Wisconsin and you're in Kentuc--- oh wait, I guess if you're a democrat you can vote there. Never mind.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't get what is so upsetting to people about this. Everybody knows that the fairer sex are too busy seducing younger men to have any need for income, health care, or parity with us guys.
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
jmilum wrote:
He doesn't have much longer, the recall election is in June.


Well you can't vote there because he's in Wisconsin and you're in Kentuc--- oh wait, I guess if you're a democrat you can vote there. Never mind.

I can't vote in Kentucky either, I'm still registered in Alabama. But I'm currently in California anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Which polls?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking whether one would vote for a particular candidate and who to vote for between two candidates are very different questions.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/governor/wi/wis...

Note also in the link, PPP is a democratic Sponsored poll.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phosrik wrote:


Note also in the link, PPP is a democratic Sponsored poll.



Point of clarification: PPP is not sponsored by any national or state Democratic organization. The folks who run PPP are openly left-leaning, but only in the same way Rasmussen is Republican-leaning. And, frankly even just equating PPP to Rasmussen appears to be unfair to PPP, whose polls were very close to the mark in 2010, and if anything had a tiny Republican lean:

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
traininthedistance wrote:
phosrik wrote:


Note also in the link, PPP is a democratic Sponsored poll.



Point of clarification: PPP is not sponsored by any national or state Democratic organization. The folks who run PPP are openly left-leaning, but only in the same way Rasmussen is Republican-leaning. And, frankly even just equating PPP to Rasmussen appears to be unfair to PPP, whose polls were very close to the mark in 2010, and if anything had a tiny Republican lean:



which begs the question why intentionally distort a poll?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why intentionally distort polls?

If a poll shows that candidate (or issue) X is ahead of candidate Y by more than a few points, some voters, who may support Y, may decide to not bother voting since Y has a poor chance of success.

if a poll shows candidate (or issue) X is leading some may be encouraged to "jump on the bandwagon" and support a candidate or issue they are apathetic towards.

If a poll shows your favorite to be only slightly ahead, or behind, you may be encouraged to increase your support via volunteering or donating.

This is why you get two different polls phrasing a question about the Affordable Healthcare act as either;

"Do you support the socialist government takeover of your rights to choose your own course of action regarding the health and well being of your family?"

or

"Do you believe that insurance companies have the right to throw sick and elderly patients out into the streets in order to increase the company's profits?"

To be safe, take all polling data with a grain of salt...
preferably accompanied by a slice of lime and a large shot of tequila,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Nobody cites a poll that shows their guy is behind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Nobody cites a poll that shows their guy is behind.
They do if it shows their man closing the gap.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really shocked that Walker isn't vetoing all of the Republican legislation that's being passed. Shocked, I say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Nobody cites a poll that shows their guy is behind.
They do if it shows their man closing the gap.


Damn. I keep forgetting this is Literal-Land, otherwise known as Apserpeger's Central or RSP.

Allow me:

Nobody willingly uses a poll that indicates their guy or their issue is losing against an opposing guy or issue. Unless, of course, it shows their guy or their issue closing the gap at a rate that surely will attract new, ignorant, voters to their side.

No doubt we can build out 7 or 8 more pages deconstructing this down to individual syllables and how certain words or phrases are inferred geographically, racially, or any of a score or more of variances that illustrate how not every human being is just like every other human being.

Or, you could have just nodded in the first place and recognized that anyone who makes an semi-erudite comment on the subject of polls and how they are used and/or deployed to sway groups of people probably understood in the first fucking place that his statement was not meant to include every single possible permutation, iteration, phase, or method a poll might be an effective tool even if it shows your guy behind.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
cooler king wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Nobody cites a poll that shows their guy is behind.
They do if it shows their man closing the gap.


Damn. I keep forgetting this is Literal-Land, otherwise known as Apserpeger's Central or RSP.

Allow me:

Nobody willingly uses a poll that indicates their guy or their issue is losing against an opposing guy or issue. Unless, of course, it shows their guy or their issue closing the gap at a rate that surely will attract new, ignorant, voters to their side.

No doubt we can build out 7 or 8 more pages deconstructing this down to individual syllables and how certain words or phrases are inferred geographically, racially, or any of a score or more of variances that illustrate how not every human being is just like every other human being.

Or, you could have just nodded in the first place and recognized that anyone who makes an semi-erudite comment on the subject of polls and how they are used and/or deployed to sway groups of people probably understood in the first fucking place that his statement was not meant to include every single possible permutation, iteration, phase, or method a poll might be an effective tool even if it shows your guy behind.
Aw geez...
I think I'll start on the tequila early today.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
If women really make 75 cents on the dollar for the same job at the same level of productivity, why don't companies hire more women? I mean, if a company could choose between two identically qualified candidates, yet only have to pay one $45k but the other 60k wouldn't you hire the one for $45k every time?

There are many reasons women make less money than men, the primary one is how they negotiate. Discrimination doesn't really factor into it.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damiangerous wrote:
If women really make 75 cents on the dollar for the same job at the same level of productivity, why don't companies hire more women? I mean, if a company could choose between two identically qualified candidates, yet only have to pay one $45k but the other 60k wouldn't you hire the one for $45k every time?

There are many reasons women make less money than men, the primary one is how they negotiate. Discrimination doesn't really factor into it.


This is the sort of posts one can only read in forums for white, educated, middle-class, socially awkward people. Congrats!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:

There are many reasons women make less money than men, the primary one is how they negotiate. Discrimination doesn't really factor into it.


Is this the part where we're all supposed to jump down your throat and then you whip some scintillating stats out of your ass to quiet the uproar? Can you just spare us the drama and support such bloviating assertions AS you make them?
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

There are many reasons women make less money than men, the primary one is how they negotiate. Discrimination doesn't really factor into it.


Is this the part where we're all supposed to jump down your throat and then you whip some scintillating stats out of your ass to quiet the uproar? Can you just spare us the drama and support such bloviating assertions AS you make them?

We already went through this recently. SpaceGhost posted the stats. Women make less for various reasons but it looks like the discrimination portion of it accounts for about 7% difference in pay iirc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
7% is not insubstantial or instantly dismissable. Saying that discrimination doesn't enter into it is one of the most fatuous statements I've read here in a very long time, because discrimination is what caused the disparity in the first place. I'm pretty sure that gender discrimination is still practiced by a pretty large number of employers, not the smallest of which is our federal government. If you would like, I will link to the EEOC numbers and prove whatever the hell I want with them.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
[q="MisterCranky"Is this the part where we're all supposed to jump down your throat and then you whip some scintillating stats out of your ass to quiet the uproar? Can you just spare us the drama and support such bloviating assertions AS you make them?[/q]
It's not like I was replying to a reference laden dissertation, more like kindergartner scribbling in crayon so it didn't seem necessary. Apparently it's okay to cry discrimination with nothing to back it up though. Also, you might want to look up "bloviating" as it doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. Asking a rhetorical question to reinforce a point and stating a fact is about as far from "pompous" as one can get.

But anyway, you'll have to get the book on your own.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Women make less for various reasons but it looks like the discrimination portion of it accounts for about 7% difference in pay iirc.

That's greater than the numbers I've seen, but I'm not willing or prepared to engage in a long debate on it so I'l concede the 7%.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Saying that discrimination doesn't enter into it is one of the most fatuous statements I've read here in a very long time

This is one of the most hyperbolic statements I've read here in a long time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
7% is not insubstantial or instantly dismissable. Saying that discrimination doesn't enter into it is one of the most fatuous statements I've read here in a very long time, because discrimination is what caused the disparity in the first place. I'm pretty sure that gender discrimination is still practiced by a pretty large number of employers, not the smallest of which is our federal government. If you would like, I will link to the EEOC numbers and prove whatever the hell I want with them.

Don't be so quick to agree with me next time. People will say we're in love.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:


But anyway, you'll have to get the book on your own.


I don't have to read the book to be well aware of the research it details. It's all over the internet. You misunderstood which portion of your statements I found to be supremely fatuous, apparently. I am not even a bit surprised based on your recent performance around here.

You are correct in your assertion that I misused "bloviating." I intended to type "bloviated," and failed to notice that I didn't. Good job.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.