Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really have a hard time paying money for a game I have to print and build. This game looks great but I don't want to spend $5 on a bunch of files! Plus, I have to consider the cost of ink, which isn't cheap for a game this big. If this game is ever releases as a free-print&play I'd love to print it out, put it together, and play it. Does anyone else feel this way?

Is there any other games with a similar feel that are free?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are paying for the design.

If an architect designed a house for you, would you expect it to be free because he does not supply the bricks within his quote?

If you want free stuff get out there and find it for yourself. You don't just want "free", you want someone to drop "free" in your lap for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think $5 is unreasonable for a print&play game. It would also be cool because I'd be supporting an aspiring designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought and paid for this some years ago. The amount of enjoyment I've had, from producing it and playing it, makes for very cheap entertainment.

I even produced a revised map which the designer now includes in the download. Neither he nor I charged for that.

The amount of effort that goes into designing and testing games is enormous. Paying a few dollars is a bargain in my opinion.

Oh and btw this is a very good solitaire game!

Chris

And seeing as you requested it: "You're cheap"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The game goes on sale every now and then from wargamedownloads. If you don't mind waiting, you could probably save $2 - $3 on Black Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game because I really like Roman themed games. Yeah it cost $5, and I bought wooden cubes to mount the pieces on, plus I payed some bucks to print the map on decent paper. So yeah, it cost a bit, but the fun I got out of assembling it and playing it was worth it to me. It's a good game and I'll dare to say it's better than a lot of free PNP games, although I'm not an expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
iamJMAN00793 wrote:
...Plus, I have to consider the cost of ink, which isn't cheap for a game this big...

FYI, I am giving away an extra copy of the map and counters that I have. That way you'd only have to print the rules which would save you the ink cost.

See this thread for details.
Free PNP Items - Cleaning out my excess items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Koon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people feel this way about digital music and videos. They think that the majority of the cost of the product goes toward the physical materials. But the creator should receive some compensation for their creation as well.

I'd actually like it if a lot more games were available as either P&P or as a boxed product. Imagine $30 for Dominion as a professionally printed boxed set and $10-$15 for a P&P PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dolan
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, be happy to, "Cheap."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I would gladly pay $50+ for a board, rules, die cut counters. I do not want to download and make my own counters. Hate that! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
now you can...

http://www.whitedoggames.com/#!solitaire-caesar/c253f

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.