Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anything in the rules, but just to confirm, a player can be given more than one mandatory quest right? Obviously not in the same action, but a player is not limited in giving another player a mandatory quest because he already has one, I am assuming.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the same assumption - if the rules don't say you can't, you have to assume that you can, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Murkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope a player cannot get more mandatory quests; this means that one player can get up to 3 per round, which seems crippling.
(Especially since the players playing the intrigue card get to get to do another turn by reassigning their agents at the end of the round)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules text on the mandatory quest says a player must complete all mandatory quests before non-mandatory quests, rather than saying they must complete *this* quest before completing any other quests. I don't see any reason they would be worded this way except to account for this exact possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murkland wrote:
I hope a player cannot get more mandatory quests; this means that one player can get up to 3 per round, which seems crippling.
(Especially since the players playing the intrigue card get to get to do another turn by reassigning their agents at the end of the round)

The odds of one player getting three MQs played on him in a single round seem vanishingly small. The factors:

1. There are only six MQs in the deck.
2. Playing an MQ does not benefit the person who plays it at all, so it may not be the best choice.
3. In most rounds, a player can go to Waterdeep Harbor to prevent one opponent from playing an Intrigue card.

Finally, if someone is so far ahead that everyone else feels the need to gang up on him with MQs, then he is winning and the other players should all drop MQs on him to slow him down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Harding
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game where my wife gave me three mandatory quests in one game, I had two at the same time. Pain in the butt. She also had Larissa and owned 7 buildings. Now I would have won the game but on the last round she miraculously finished one last 25 point quest that put her only 7 points ahead of me. I mention this because of debate that Larissa is too powerful. She can be beat. One of the best games I ever bought and own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
murkland wrote:

The odds of one player getting three MQs played on him in a single round seem vanishingly small. The factors:

1. There are only six MQs in the deck.
2. Playing an MQ does not benefit the person who plays it at all, so it may not be the best choice.
3. In most rounds, a player can go to Waterdeep Harbor to prevent one opponent from playing an Intrigue card.

Finally, if someone is so far ahead that everyone else feels the need to gang up on him with MQs, then he is winning and the other players should all drop MQs on him to slow him down.

Getting two at a time is much less "vanishingly small" a chance. I played in a 5player game a few weeks ago and took a commanding lead on a 25 point quest (I was afraid to wait for fear of losing resources to other intrigue cards). I got double MQ'ed on the same round and by the time I finally got out from under it, finished 4th. It was basically the end of the line for me. I wouldn't mind implementing a "no more than one" rule, since I'll still contend the only real outcome of getting hit with two or three at the same time is you all but guarantee your target can't win. That's even more true as the player count increases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sugden
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On mandatory quests:

When you play one, you're giving up something for no direct gain. You use up the intrigue card (which cost you as much as a fighter or rogue would if you look at how the game values these resources during play) and move your agent assignment to the end of the round. The opposeing players have to give up resources to complete these quests, and they get minimal points for doing so. They give up the equivalent of 6 VPs to solve these quests. That is sort of like tossing out a fighter to make someone else lose 6 points - which sounds good in a 2 player game, but not so good in a 3, 4 or 5 player game where other players are losing nothing.

Yes, the strategic ability to block endgame quests is strong - but playing them costs you something for no direct gain.

As for playing them earlier than the endgame - blocking someone from doing a quest in rounds 1 through 5 often has no impact on the game in the end. There are a few quests that we want to complete early, but for the most part we can hold our resources in this game and wait to start solving quests until turn 5 or 6. In fact, you're usually better off waiting as it will allow you to order your quests into an optimal pattern (so that the rewards of one quest feed the costs of another in an efficient pattern and you have the resources to give up when asked to give htem up by intrigue cards for good benefits). I always hold mandatory quests until at least round 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first 2 games of this today and had the exact same question as I had 2 Mandatory Quests on me at the same time. It did slow me down a little bit but I had Larissa Neathal as my Lord of Waterdeep in both games. The first game was a 3-player game and none of us had played before. I was able to purchase 5 buildings and with that 30 point bonus at the end was still able to win the game. The 2nd game was a 5-player game and even though ALL the other players kept saying that I must have the Larissa Neathal card again as the game was going on, no one did anything to stop me from buying buildings and I ended up with 6 buildings for 36 points at the end of the game and won that game also.

Everyone at our table except ME agreed that you can put as many Mandatory Quests on a player as possible and he must finish all of the MQs before turning in any of his other quests. Overall a great game, that was easy to pick up and play. We had very few rules questions and I cant wait to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And dont forget the most important part ... Those darn Intrique cards are pretty hard to get to begin with !!! And using two or three up on one person is a tough nut to swallow!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Harding
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We basically based it off of how many quest you could complete in the first place. Since there can only be three active quest then you can only be burdened by three mandatory quests, seems logical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingHairu wrote:
We basically based it off of how many quest you could complete in the first place. Since there can only be three active quest then you can only be burdened by three mandatory quests, seems logical.

Am I hearing you correctly? Are you saying each faction can have a maximum of three active quests at any given time? If so, then that's incorrect; there is no limit to the number of active quests a faction may have at any given time. If not, then I'm not understanding what you're saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
LurkingHairu wrote:

Am I hearing you correctly? Are you saying each faction can have a maximum of three active quests at any given time? If so, then that's incorrect; there is no limit to the number of active quests a faction may have at any given time. If not, then I'm not understanding what you're saying.
No, they are not saying that there is a limit, specifically 3, to the number of MQs that a player can hold simultaneously. They were just suggesting how annoying it would be if all three of a round's Intrigue cards were used to assign MQs to some other player. Hilariously, if all six MQs were drawn and used consecutively, one unfortunate player could hold all six!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Joynson
United Kingdom
St Albans
Herts
flag msg tools
Personally I've already houseruled the mandatory quests cards to not count as quests for the purposes of the "1 quest per turn" rule.

I found the mechanic of their being 6 cards that basically lose you the game not very fitting with the rest of the decks and the game itself.

Most intrigue cards are worth ~1 or 2 points depending how and when they are used etc or can take that away from other people.

If you're playing vaguely sensibly you will be completing 20 point quests for the last couple of rounds and if these are totally blocked by mandatory quests which cant be avoided or countered in any way by the recipient that just seems unfair. The only counter i could find was 1 card in the intrigue deck about discarding quests.

Earlier in this thread someone was saying that as they give you no benefit why would you play these compared to other carsd, but I think costing another player ~20 points is easily a justifiable benefit compared to gaining yourself 2.

I dont want what is a fun and interesting game to become simply a game of "who got the most mandatory quests played on them loses" as thats just not what I call fun.

Mandatory quests can still be annoying if the recipient has the wrong hero types and cant get them easily or if you play them at a time which means they cant get their quest done with the resources they have that turn. I find them still a viable card to play without being totally game breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A mandatory quest only takes up one turn. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's your players' own faults if they wait until their last turn in a round to complete a 20 point quest. They should get hit with one, then.

spudthedude wrote:
Personally I've already houseruled the mandatory quests cards to not count as quests for the purposes of the "1 quest per turn" rule.

I found the mechanic of their being 6 cards that basically lose you the game not very fitting with the rest of the decks and the game itself.

Most intrigue cards are worth ~1 or 2 points depending how and when they are used etc or can take that away from other people.

If you're playing vaguely sensibly you will be completing 20 point quests for the last couple of rounds and if these are totally blocked by mandatory quests which cant be avoided or countered in any way by the recipient that just seems unfair. The only counter i could find was 1 card in the intrigue deck about discarding quests.

Earlier in this thread someone was saying that as they give you no benefit why would you play these compared to other carsd, but I think costing another player ~20 points is easily a justifiable benefit compared to gaining yourself 2.

I dont want what is a fun and interesting game to become simply a game of "who got the most mandatory quests played on them loses" as thats just not what I call fun.

Mandatory quests can still be annoying if the recipient has the wrong hero types and cant get them easily or if you play them at a time which means they cant get their quest done with the resources they have that turn. I find them still a viable card to play without being totally game breaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Joynson
United Kingdom
St Albans
Herts
flag msg tools
Ah I've misunderstood the part of the rules about 1 quest per turn, not 1 quest per round.

That makes much more sense, and clearly mandatory quests arent an issue if you are only blocked for 1 turn.

I thought you could only ever complete 8 quests in the whole game. (1 per round/turn) as I hadnt really distinguished between the 2.

Probably because of the phrasing of the rules because it says about "no matter how many agents you assign or reassign during your turn you can only complete one quest" it made me think that it was referring to per round not per turn, as when I originally read the rules I wasnt aware of the various mechanics to place several workers per turn and therefore assumed this must have been referencing to a round.

Will have to try again with the correct rules then, heh. Been enjoying the game even though i've been playing it wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spudthedude wrote:
Ah I've misunderstood the part of the rules about 1 quest per turn, not 1 quest per round.

That makes much more sense, and clearly mandatory quests arent an issue if you are only blocked for 1 turn.

I thought you could only ever complete 8 quests in the whole game. (1 per round/turn) as I hadnt really distinguished between the 2.

Probably because of the phrasing of the rules because it says about "no matter how many agents you assign or reassign during your turn you can only complete one quest" it made me think that it was referring to per round not per turn, as when I originally read the rules I wasnt aware of the various mechanics to place several workers per turn and therefore assumed this must have been referencing to a round.

Will have to try again with the correct rules then, heh. Been enjoying the game even though i've been playing it wrong!

Thank God. I was seriously beginning to fret I was the only person who had got this wrong. Doesn't it make more sense that way? Unless you have knowledge of specific Intrigue cards that allow you to play more than one agent in a turn, you just assume it's a typo and they meant one quest per round because it's the only way that rule would make sense, right? This should be more clearly delineated if they ever decide to revise the rulebook for a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
spudthedude wrote:

Yes, it is poorly worded in the instructions but I believe on the back of the rulebook it says
Quote:
Complete Quest: After assigning or reassigning an Agent, you may complete a quest...

basically each time you place an agent on the board, you may complete a quest/mandatory quest (assuming you have the resources of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.