Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games like Glory to Rome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mister Sun
msg tools
Hi everyone, hoping for some recommendations for 2-4 players.

Right now our favourite game is Glory to Rome. We love the various strategies you can pursue, the low-medium complexity and medium-high depth, good amounts of direct and indirect interaction, and especially the low downtime.

We've already looked at Innovation but prefer Glory to Rome. Doesn't necessarily have to be a card game, as long as there's not too much bookkeeping or fiddling around with the game components.

Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain uses a similar pass/follow mechanism. I would consider it to be a little bit lighter than Glory to Rome. That said, there's no direct player interaction and even the indirect player action is limited. I hear there will be more player interaction in the 1st expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barons if you are going for the same card style, not neccessarily game-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
Eminent Domain uses a similar pass/follow mechanism. I would consider it to be a little bit lighter than Glory to Rome. That said, there's no direct player interaction and even the indirect player action is limited. I hear there will be more player interaction in the 1st expansion.

First game that came to mind for me too. I would agree that it is lighter than GtR, and I think ED will start to feel samey and lack replayability. If there is an expansion maybe that will fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[thing=73421][/thing] supposedly shares some similarities with GtR, but for some reason it hasn't come out yet... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
From the same designer as GtR is Innovation, which I'd say is slightly lighter but not by much. It shares some of the same feel as GtR but the game plays rather differently.

There is also an expansion, Innovation: Echoes of the Past, which adds a bunch of new stuff but I haven't played that one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic" - Pai Mei
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterSun wrote:
Hi everyone, hoping for some recommendations for 2-4 players.

Right now our favourite game is Glory to Rome. We love the various strategies you can pursue, the low-medium complexity and medium-high depth, good amounts of direct and indirect interaction, and especially the low downtime.

We've already looked at Innovation but prefer Glory to Rome. Doesn't necessarily have to be a card game, as long as there's not too much bookkeeping or fiddling around with the game components.

Thanks a bunch!

I'd second RFtG (though this has less direct interaction), and Puerto Rico. I'd say PR more fits what you like about GtR.

However, you'll not find another game quite like GtR, even if you find a game that shares it's mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Sun
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions!

Race for the Galaxy: doesn't seem to have enough interaction for us
San Juan: we like the sound of Puerto Rico more
Puerto Rico: we'll look into this further
Eminent Domain: we'll have to wait for the expansion to come out first
Barons: looks different and very interesting
Uchronia: appears too similar to GtR

The game we're looking for doesn't have to be exactly like Glory to Rome in terms of the mechanics. We want something that's simple but meaty to play, has decent player interaction, and in particular has low downtime (which doesn't necessarily have to be accomplished by a pass/follow mechanic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterSun wrote:

The game we're looking for doesn't have to be exactly like Glory to Rome in terms of the mechanics. We want something that's simple but meaty to play, has decent player interaction, and in particular has low downtime (which doesn't necessarily have to be accomplished by a pass/follow mechanic).

You may like Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still recommend Eminent Domain, especially if you enjoy deck building games. There's still some randomness separating replays, but not a lot. (Though in general, some dislike the amount of randomness inherent from the deck in Glory to Rome or Race for the Galaxy.)

Race for the Galaxy is very similar to Glory to Rome, so it's good it was mentioned here. There's about the same level of interaction as with Glory to Rome -- you participate in others' roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
polkeroo wrote:
From the same designer as GtR is Innovation, which I'd say is slightly lighter but not by much. It shares some of the same feel as GtR but the game plays rather differently.

There is also an expansion, Innovation: Echoes of the Past, which adds a bunch of new stuff but I haven't played that one yet.

+1 and it fits all of your requirements of "simple but meaty to play, has decent player interaction, and in particular has low downtime"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
MisterSun wrote:

I'd like to point out, I've played Lords of Waterdeep, and it has nothing in common with the OP's thread. He also may like Elfenland or taj mahal or notre dame, but they also have nothing in common with Glory to Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ropearoni4 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
MisterSun wrote:

I'd like to point out, I've played Lords of Waterdeep, and it has nothing in common with the OP's thread. He also may like Elfenland or taj mahal or notre dame, but they also have nothing in common with Glory to Rome.

Is it simple but meaty? Does it have decent player interaction? Does it have low downtime? Those seem to be the criteria for recommendations at this point in the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
MisterSun wrote:

Is it simple but meaty? Does it have decent player interaction? Does it have low downtime? Those seem to be the criteria for recommendations at this point in the thread.

Too many games work for that. Most of the Alea games alone will work. Most Queen games as well. Most Amigo games, etc. Living Card Games from FF are all about simple game play but depth in card abilities.
I'd like to add Roads and Boats, since it has simple gameplay, but as time goes on, it becomes meaty. Kingdon Builder would work for this depending on the abilities for that particular game. Too many fit the criteria if this is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
joedogboy wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
MisterSun wrote:

Too many games work for that. Most of the Alea games alone will work. Most Queen games as well. Most Amigo games, etc. Living Card Games from FF are all about simple game play but depth in card abilities.
I'd like to add Roads and Boats, since it has simple gameplay, but as time goes on, it becomes meaty. Kingdon Builder would work for this depending on the abilities for that particular game. Too many fit the criteria if this is the case.

I was simply responding to:
Quote:
We want something that's simple but meaty to play, has decent player interaction, and in particular has low downtime (which doesn't necessarily have to be accomplished by a pass/follow mechanic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Sun
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendation of Innovation, but as we've stated in the first post, we've already looked at it and prefer Glory to Rome.

Don't be afraid to limit yourselves to recommending games that are very close to Glory to Rome. It's more of a starting point. The criteria (simple but meaty, interactive, low downtime) is more important than the game's similarity to Glory to Rome.

"Too many games work for that. Most of the Alea games alone will work. Most Queen games as well. Most Amigo games, etc. Living Card Games from FF are all about simple game play but depth in card abilities."

Would you be able to list some of these Alea/Queen/Amigo/LCG games that fit our criteria?

The low downtime is particularly important because one of our members has a very short attention span. It just so happens that the pass/follow mechanic in Glory to Rome kept everybody involved at all times. If there are other mechanics in other games that accomplish the same thing, feel free to suggest it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra, Taj Mahal, Chinatown, Puerto Rico, Notre Dame, Alhambra, Chicago Express, Shogun, Timbuktu, Race for the Galaxy, Goa,

all these have games that keep everyone involved with either short turns (1 action), or simultaneous actions.

Did you want the criteria to include buildings with special abilities like GtR? That would shorten the list some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.