Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Quinn
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A while ago I posted about Scratch and the game has graphically come a long way in just a few short weeks with some professional assistance. But we've hit a bit of a rut and so we're turning to BGG for some help!

Background. Scratch is divided into four factions: Kingdom, Monster, Wild, and Undead. Each of the factions have their own symbol and that is what we're working on here. We wanted the symbols to be immediately recognized by players and so each shape should be unique. We also wanted the shapes to be recognized as a silhouette (i.e. no color and no internal shapes) and not lose anything with scale. What we tried to do is take cliche or expected images and then put a fresh spin on how they were presented.

The images in the circle at the bottom are what we are leaning towards. We're really happy with Monster and Wild, like Kingdom, and are not happy with Undead. First, the skull fails the silhouette test because it has internal shapes (eye and nose). It also feels a little simplistic compared to Monster and Wild. We also liked the skull in the upper right corner, but it failed the silhouette test because it sort of looked like a bonsai tree coming off a mountain when scaled down.

So we need help! We've considered a ghost/spirit but we're really just looking for good feedback. If there is a way we could freshen something up, try something new, or an entirely new (and inspired) direction, we'd love to listen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the bottom left skull, the one facing to the left. The one in the circle kind of looks... not right. Can't put my finger on it, but I like that bottom skull. The others are really good too. I especially like the Wild symbol in the circle, it's perfect.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword Handle + 20% blade

Claw with nails

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Baranovsky
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kingdom: use helm like one you can see on Scarecrow King's avatar, with big pack of feathers, with bigger eye hollows, pictured from side.
Also can be sword's handle (very recognizible shape), two crossed swords, shield, castle tower (not rook), flag...

Monster: I agree with John, some ugly claw with nails is better. Much simpler and cool.

Wild: spider, web, or wide old tree with smaller roots and no leafs, only branches.
Among shown selected symbol is best.

Undead: I like the frontal skull, but make it looking more like skull: smaller jav (its not clear does it have bottom jaw or not), much smaller nose hole, but bigger eye hollows. If you make eye hollows bigger, shape will be more like silhouette from distance, and more recognizible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Quinn
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for their kind comments. It is always helpful to get some extra perspectives on what possibilities exist and what symbols might mean to people.

What are your reaction to the existing symbols (e.g. the ones in the circles)? If you took away the faction names next to them and I gave you a list of faction names, do you think you could connect the list of names to the symbols? Are there any that trip you up? Do you think if I added colors they would be even clearer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have guessed the tree and the skull as forest and undead factions. That's close enough to wild, right? Took me a long time to recognize the helmet, and strangely the first thing that came to mind with the monster icon was a caped, dancing kobold. hurrah inkblot test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.