Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own TTR USA and since we almost always play with just 2 players I have finally decided to either buy the India / Switzerland expansion or Nordic Countries. Can anyone recommend which one might be better for 2 players. I understand both are good with two so we are not sure which one to pick. We like some cut throat in our games, is one or the other more cut throat? Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played either, but Map Collection Volume 2 seems the best deal since you get two maps for a very reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Nordic very frustrating with 2. It goes beyond cut-throat to the point of annoying - there are three major north-south routes on the map and the central one is almost always better than the eastern or western ones. The first player to take part of that route has a huge advantage, but the second player can block but it just denies it to both of them. Blocking the central path seems scripted and gives a big advantage to anyone who happens to get only tickets on the southern end of the map. This isn't such a big issue in 3 player because the central route is made up of doubles (doubles are allowed for three players but not for two players)

Switzerland is good for two or three people. Some people don't like the fact that the country to country routes encourage a lot of card drawing, but that seems to make the blocking even more important. Switzerland shines when people block a lot. I haven't played India yet but it looks pretty good, and is designed for 2 to 4.

Honestly, I would go for Switzerland/India over Nordic. You get two maps for less than the price of Nordic, and I certainly think Switzerland is more satisfying for two than Nordic (though Nordic is very good with three). You could even use the difference to buy the USA:1910 expansion for the base game - I find the 1910 set of tickets is much better for two players than the base game set of tickets. My wife and I have played the 1910 tickets on the USA map quite a lot and still find it a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordic has been my favorite for 2 players for several years (with USA + all 1910 expansion tickets being a close second). That being said, my wife and I cranked through like 14 games of India in the first month or two of owning it and have really enjoyed it. I think it may be surpassing Nordic as my favorite 2p TTR game.

So yeah ... go with India. It's a smaller, more portable package, includes 2 maps, is less expensive, and is very good for 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should go with India/Switzerland, even though it’s a close call as both games are good! I/S is the superior game in my opinion due to several factors:

First of all, NC is more expensive and takes up twice as much space than I/S, so if that is of any concern, those two issues are small plusses.

NC with 2 is pretty cutthroat, probably the most cutthroat of the 3 maps when playing with only 2 players. However, it isn’t by a lot, and Switzerland is a close second in my opinion. India to a less degree with 2, though it’s very cutthroat with 3 and 4 which can be downright brutal as there are so many single routes.

Regarding the maps themselves, I think there are somewhat broken strategies in NC and Switzerland where you can build between Oslo-Helsinki (and to Bergen/Copenhagen) and Zürich-Bern (and to Genève and connect to France/Germany) respectively. By following a pattern almost like that in my games, of course depending on initial tickets etc., I’ve never lost a game - and I’ve been playing both maps at least 10 times...

I’ve never experienced anything like that in other TtR maps, so I guess that, even though the problem seems to be bigger in Switzerland and less so in Nordic Countries, that’s another plus for buying I/S as India doesn’t seem to have a superior strategy/route.
However, I guess that if both of you are aware of the fact that there seems to be superior routes, you will be able to block each other, and then the strategies suddenly aren’t broken…

Finally, IF you suddenly end up with 4 players, you are able to play India – and all in all you get better variety with I/S as you get 2 maps instead of 1. You even got money left if buying I/S compared to NC, and you could use those money for either buying another game or the 1910 expansion for TtR USA, which is an awesome expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome feedback, thanks everyone! I purchased India / Switzerland today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls