Subject: Wild West themed games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried searching but "western" turned up mostly hits about "western culture" and "wild west" resulted in people talking about the market being like the "wild west" and ... a lot of Firefly references.

If there's a thread about this already please point me to it and we can close this one. If not...

Are there any good Wild West games out there? Ideally I'd like a nice high-production value board game but I'd be happy to hear info about anything. Thanks for any tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Zeroth
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! - fun card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
BANG! (and its expansions) is card-based and doesn't have great depth, but is very popular as a filler.

Edit: Curses—beaten by seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
For me one of the best games is Homesteaders.

Carson City is also very nice worker placement game.

And there is a BANG! - great party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a Geeklist for you: Top 10 Western Games

And another: Western Games. I found these by searching for "western" under Search Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manfred Keller
Germany
67734 Sulzbachtal
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6554/lawless
In Lawless, each player is in charge of a ranch in the Wild West. In order to become the richest ranch owner in the West, players must buy land and cattle and hire cowboys to look after them. All this, of course, must be dealt with amongst Indian wars, bank robberies, stagecoach attacks, gunfights at the saloon, cattle theft, gold rushes and all that stuff. In such a wild world, the legal ways are usually not the best ways to get richer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manfred Keller
Germany
67734 Sulzbachtal
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2496/saloon

Premiering at Essen 2001, a card game of brawling in a Saloon of the Old West. The attacker plays his cards and the defender responds. The first noninvolved player to get a card to the table can throw in a punch as well. If any of the attack gets through, the defender takes some knock out points. But if he's not yet in Dreamland, now he gets the turn to strike back, or does he find a new target? Plenty of warping effects on these easy-to-explain rules and interesting flavor are added by cards such as the roundhouse, whiskey bottle, flying through the window, beer barrel, piano player, Oopsadaisy and the dreaded bartender (he comes with a club). Players gradually get knocked out until there is only one brawler left standing, the winner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboys: The Way of the Gun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Outlaws: Adventures in the Old West game is a free print and play game. Episode Three is just about to be released covering Native Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Busse
Belgium
Hasselt
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If, in the advanced search in the section 'Board Game Category', you select (+) on 'American West', you will get a full list, which you can sort on score to find the best ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blackwater Gulch is currently being Kickstarted. Very high production values, though not strictly a "board" game but rather a miniatures game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and enjoyed Carson City ...a worker placement game, components are attractive and sturdy.

I have not played Dice Town, but it looks quite nice and I understand it works well with several players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a gunfight game, then Gunslinger is certainly the game you want to look at (although it is an OOOOOLD game) and does not really match your top node game pieces requirement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Binney
United Kingdom
skipton
north yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Deadwood. a great worker placement game. you might also be interested in revolver. only seen the game but not played it. worth looking into though i reckon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:

First game I thought of.

Second game: High Noon Saloon

3rd: Knock Down, Drag Out: The Wild West Fighting Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiboko Hippo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a copy of Way Out West that I'm selling because I personally don't find the game interesting, although (who knows?) it might be something you find interesting. I'm not sure how you rate "production value" but you can see pictures here on BGG and read rules, reviews, etc. It has a nice, sturdy, minimalist but well-illustrated board and many colored counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you everyone! This gives me a lot to go on.

My fiance is a big western fan so I'm hoping to find a game or two with a theme like this to play with her. It's a fun setting in general though so I'll enjoy it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels K.
Belgium
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Western Town seems promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Abyad wrote:
Western Town seems promising.

The name is dead on indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gorski

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dakota is a worker placement, build stuff up. You either play as the settlers or the plains tribes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skygor wrote:
Dakota is a worker placement, build stuff up. You either play as the settlers or the plains tribes.

That one looks quite nice. I'll see about that one when I have some more purchasing leeway. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.