Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an early copy of Kairo and played it this weekend but have some rules questions and hope someone can assist

1) So if you are the first person (player A) to add an expansion stall, you get both the gold and silver medal. Then if another players (player B) total stalls equal or exceeds Player A's total (for that color), Player B gets the silver medal. Later, the first Player can equal or exceed the total which Player B had and reclaim the silver medal.
Is this correct? If so, then whoever is the first to expand a stall will keep the gold medal for the entire game?

2) Rules state a customer must go to the closest stall of its color (unless a barker card is used). Rules also state a customer can not go to an entry way already occupied by another customer. So what happens when you want to move a customer and the closest stall of that color is already occupied?
Can you not move that customer until that entry way is unoccupied? Do you move the customer to the next closest stall of that color? If so, do you have to use a barker card like usual to do so, or can you do it automatically since the closest entry is blocked?

3) Rules state main stalls can not be placed horiztonally/vertically adjacent to another main stall but what about expansion stalls? I saw in the rules expansion stalls can be adjacent to expansion stalls of different colors, but can they be horiztonally/vertically adjacent to main stalls or can nothing (other than expansion stalls of the main stall's color) be placed orthogonally adjacent?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm able to help you here:

belial1134 wrote:
1) So if you are the first person (player A) to add an expansion stall, you get both the gold and silver medal. Then if another players (player B) total stalls equal or exceeds Player A's total (for that color), Player B gets the silver medal. Later, the first Player can equal or exceed the total which Player B had and reclaim the silver medal.
Is this correct? If so, then whoever is the first to expand a stall will keep the gold medal for the entire game?

First player to expand gets both. After this every player who equals the first player gets the silver medal. If any player exceeds first player, he/she gets again both medals. And again if someone equals him/her, silver medal changes owner.

Thus both medals move but it's definitely good to be the first to expand.

belial1134 wrote:
2) Rules state a customer must go to the closest stall of its color (unless a barker card is used). Rules also state a customer can not go to an entry way already occupied by another customer. So what happens when you want to move a customer and the closest stall of that color is already occupied?
Can you not move that customer until that entry way is unoccupied? Do you move the customer to the next closest stall of that color? If so, do you have to use a barker card like usual to do so, or can you do it automatically since the closest entry is blocked?

When an entry is occupied it doesn't count (since the customer can't stop there) and you can move customer second closest entry of that color for free. In a four player game you can have situation where three of the four entries are occupied and player can move customer the freely.

Barker cards are used when you want to skip the closest open entry (and only then).

belial1134 wrote:
3) Rules state main stalls can not be placed horiztonally/vertically adjacent to another main stall but what about expansion stalls? I saw in the rules expansion stalls can be adjacent to expansion stalls of different colors, but can they be horiztonally/vertically adjacent to main stalls or can nothing (other than expansion stalls of the main stall's color) be placed orthogonally adjacent?

Expansions can be placed horizontally/vertically next to main stalls but the color has to be different (because it's impossible to separate stalls of different players from each other).

You should also remember that placing an expansion can not block any of the main stalls completely (customers can not entry) and that violet stalls (main and expansion) always needs to be placed in the separate area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
cane wrote:

belial1134 wrote:

Expansions can be placed horizontally/vertically next to main stalls but the color has to be different (because it's impossible to separate stalls of different players from each other).

You should also remember that placing an expansion can not block any of the main stalls completely (customers can not entry) and that violet stalls (main and expansion) always needs to be placed in the separate area.

I was looking in the rulebook under the 'moving a stall' option and it shows a purple stall being placed 2 spaces to the east of the green stall preventing green from expanding and therefore they can move it.
However, there is a space to the north of the green stall and a red stall north of that space...

Since expansion stalls can be placed horizontally/vertically next to main stalls of another color, couldn't green expand to the empty space between the green & red main stall?

Or is that example supposed to just be showing that the player may want to move it since expanding is limited and do it before expanding since it can't be moved once it has an expansion stall to it?

Hopefully that all made sense..

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I was looking in the rulebook under the 'moving a stall' option and it shows a purple stall being placed 2 spaces to the east of the green stall preventing green from expanding and therefore they can move it.
However, there is a space to the north of the green stall and a red stall north of that space...

Since expansion stalls can be placed horizontally/vertically next to main stalls of another color, couldn't green expand to the empty space between the green & red main stall?

Or is that example supposed to just be showing that the player may want to move it since expanding is limited and do it before expanding since it can't be moved once it has an expansion stall to it?

Thanks again

If purple stall stands where it's shown in the picture, green player could not expand. South is illegal because only purple can expand there, east would block purple main stall entrance and expanding north would mean that customers can't reach purple stand which is also illegal.

Thus green player needs to move his green main stand if he wants to expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
cane wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

Thanks again

If purple stall stands where it's shown in the picture, green player could not expand. South is illegal because only purple can expand there, east would block purple mail stall entrance and expanding north would mean that customers can't reach purple stand which is also illegal.

Thus green player needs to move his green main stand if he wants to expand.

Ahhh, I didn't think about building north blocking the entrance to purple but now I see why green couldn't expand. Thanks

By the way, I posted a few other rules questions here: Customers: Barker Cards & Other player's Stands (example in rulebook incorrect?) if you are able to help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for your clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.