Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit of a roll reversal here. I am trying to find games that my husband will play with me. He seems to really enjoy Alien Frontiers. What other games are similar and use dice in a clever way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Kingsburg fairly similar, although with less use of combinations.

Alien Frontiers uses pairs, triples, runs, etc, where as Kingsburg uses totals only.

Both are really great games, though and if hubby likes Alien Frontiers because of the dice mechanism (mechanic? I never know what word is correct), then he might like Kingsburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg has already been mentioned. I'd add that Kingsburg is older than Alien Frontiers, and I think, not quite as clever with the dice. Also, Alien Frontiers added the concept of area control that is not in Kingsburg.

Troyes is probably the most highly ranked dice pool/dice placement game, but is not "similar" to Kingsburg or Alien Frontiers in any way. Troyes is sort of its own animal.

Other dice games include:

Dark Minions

To Court the King

Dragon Rampage

Dice Town

Elder Sign

The genre of dice placement games is fairly new, with most titles out in the last couple of years. I have only played Alien Frontiers, Kingsburg and Troyes, but Dice Town is an older game and seems most popular, and I've recently read some bad postings about Elder Sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
Bit of a roll reversal here.

Don't know if that was intended as a pun, but I like it.

Kingsburg is the common comparison, though as mentioned, they're not that similar. The only other dice worker placement game I can think of off the top of my head is Troyes, which is much heavier and about as far thematically from Alien Frontiers as you can get. If he likes dice rolling more than the theme, how about Dice Town? It doesn't have the worker placement aspect, but you're trying to roll the best combinations to get certain rewards, as in Alien Frontiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Wiraqocha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell, The Castles of Burgundy uses dice in an interesting way. It is also very highly reviewed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Venables
England
Horndean
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Sharks on 3!!
badge
1-2-3-SHARKS!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

On the much lighter side, you may enjoy King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

I've never heard of Wiraqocha before, but reading the BGG description, it sounds more Catan-like than the games we already listed.

Castles of Burgundy is one I'd like to try. Thematically, at least, it is similar to Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion Troyes uses dice in an original way to create a unique and very satisfying gaming experience. An excellent design and a solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Yspahan or Alea Iacta Est
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
ClineCon wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

I've never heard of Wiraqocha before, but reading the BGG description, it sounds more Catan-like than the games we already listed.

Only the modular board of hexagonal tiles is similar to Catan. The BGG entry is quite poor.

The rest of the game is about rolling combinations of dice and modifying them in order to attain certain victory conditions, which is far more like AF than SoC. As is the constant state of near-endgame pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
ClineCon wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Only the modular board of hexagonal tiles is similar to Catan. The BGG entry is quite poor.

The rest of the game is about rolling combinations of dice and modifying them in order to attain certain victory conditions, which is far more like AF than SoC. As is the constant state of near-endgame pressure.

Confirmed - played it at Essen the last year. It's not at all like Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kingsburg
- My wife loves this game. I'm fond of it, but slightly less so. It uses dice in a similar method to Alien Frontiers but instead of area control you have more of a castle building mechanic (using resources to purchase buildings which provide advantages in the game). There's an expansion for this game as well which adds quite a bit of flavor after you've worn the original board a bit thin.

+1 Troyes
- My wife enjoys this one, but not as much as Kingsburg. This is typically billed as a "heavy" euro, but I'd replace "heavy" with "complicated and chaotic". There are a slew of things you can do and all of them rely on dice placement. It's a great game, but has an intimidating learning curve.

+1 Dice Town
- My entire family loves this game (it's one of my daughter's favorites). This is the simplest of the bunch but can be very engaging because of the fun theme. Unfortunately, I think it also has limited replayability as well because after a dozen plays or so there's just not that much to it.

I haven't seen Quarriors! mentioned. Admittedly, this is nothing at all like Alien Frontier, but it is a dice based game which can be a lot of fun and plays more like a Euro in that the game mechanics do not allow players to single out other players in their attacks. I think it's at least worth a look. This one is also a big hit for my entire family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 castles of burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Bit of a roll reversal here.
Quote:

Don't know if that was intended as a pun, but I like it.

ha ha! no, not an intentional pun...just coincidence

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I do have Yspahan and we use to play that. Kingsburg I have, but I wasn't as thrilled with that one, but maybe I'll give it another try. I will check out the others...some I had not heard of as yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try Kingsburg and you are looking for more...substance - which I believe you are...invest in the expansion Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm.

The expansion adds a great deal to this...fairly moderate game. If you don't like the base game and he does the expansion definitely makes it...better.

Yes...I'm not a big Kingsburg fan....but the women in my house (my wife & daughter-in-law) both are - so I get your roll reversal thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thenyn wrote:
+1 Troyes
- My wife enjoys this one, but not as much as Kingsburg. This is typically billed as a "heavy" euro, but I'd replace "heavy" with "complicated and chaotic". There are a slew of things you can do and all of them rely on dice placement. It's a great game, but has an intimidating learning curve.

+1 Dice Town
- My entire family loves this game (it's one of my daughter's favorites). This is the simplest of the bunch but can be very engaging because of the fun theme. Unfortunately, I think it also has limited replayability as well because after a dozen plays or so there's just not that much to it.

I think you hit the essence of Troyes. Troyes is an AP game. The main problem with learning Troyes is that there is a range of options and no "right" answer. So you pick one option (to keep the game moving) and try to follow it, and maybe the next roll is really bad, or maybe it works out.

There is also an expansion for Dice Town. Since I've never played Dice Town, I don't know if the expansion helps the game.

Also, if you don't need a game board, there are many dice games that do not use a board, for example, Dragon Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after having investigated the suggestions I have come to the conclusion that although there are some interesting similar games, none of them I would say is better than Alien Frontiers for the my purposes. We like the "space" theme, quality components (esp. the colourful dice and jelly-tot colonies), and the variety of things to do on your turn. Plays well with 2, 3, or 4. Quick set up, reasonable play time. I would like to get the expansion eventually.
Yspahan is probably the next best, but we've played that a lot already.

Each one of the others had some negative for me: theme (for example, I'm getting a bit tired of the "panty-loon" era; we prefer space over wild-west), too complex (he is really prone to AP), not comlex enough (I get bored), component quality (Dragon Rampage looks really good, except for the artwork and layout - this one I would get if it was republished with better components).

Since I already own quite a few games, these days I'm looking for something new and different. Interestingly, while investigating games with dice, the one that really caught my eye (and not mentioned here because it is not a two-player game) is King of Tokyo. When the reprint is available I think I'll be picking up that one.

Seems I'll be getting my money's worth out of AF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
So after having investigated the suggestions I have come to the conclusion that although there are some interesting similar games, none of them I would say is better than Alien Frontiers for the my purposes. We like the "space" theme, quality components (esp. the colourful dice and jelly-tot colonies), and the variety of things to do on your turn. Plays well with 2, 3, or 4. Quick set up, reasonable play time. I would like to get the expansion eventually.
Yspahan is probably the next best, but we've played that a lot already.

Each one of the others had some negative for me: theme (for example, I'm getting a bit tired of the "panty-loon" era; we prefer space over wild-west), too complex (he is really prone to AP), not comlex enough (I get bored), component quality (Dragon Rampage looks really good, except for the artwork and layout - this one I would get if it was republished with better components).

Since I already own quite a few games, these days I'm looking for something new and different. Interestingly, while investigating games with dice, the one that really caught my eye (and not mentioned here because it is not a two-player game) is King of Tokyo. When the reprint is available I think I'll be picking up that one.

Seems I'll be getting my money's worth out of AF.

Wow, a recommendation thread that Failed!

Are you sure about Alea Iacta Est? It has the same "poker" hands with the dice, you can block opponents, gather things that score points for the endgame. True, it isn't space themed, but a lighthearted ancient Romean theme is always fun, too...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
Interestingly, while investigating games with dice, the one that really caught my eye (and not mentioned here because it is not a two-player game) is King of Tokyo. When the reprint is available I think I'll be picking up that one.

Actually, King of Tokyo was mentioned.

Methsdrinker wrote:

If you have a local game club or meet up, you should try some of our suggestions before dismissing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sympathize with your plight...I also have to find games that my husband will actually play. Alien Frontiers is actually one of his favorites.

I'm going to step outside the parameters of this list a bit and suggest Mission: Red Planet, which uses a hand of cards that each have different abilities/moves, each of which you can use once during the game, rather than dice. There's quite a bit of similarity to Alien Frontiers but instead of the luck of dice rolls you have to plan what order you want to play these cards.

Unfortunately I think it's currently out of print, but I've heard a reprint should be out this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+a million for Troyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClineCon wrote:
BettyEgan wrote:
Interestingly, while investigating games with dice, the one that really caught my eye (and not mentioned here because it is not a two-player game) is King of Tokyo. When the reprint is available I think I'll be picking up that one.

Actually, King of Tokyo was mentioned.

Methsdrinker wrote:

If you have a local game club or meet up, you should try some of our suggestions before dismissing them.

Oops, yes I did miss that but notice after I posted. I haven't dismissed the suggestions completely, some do look interesting, but maybe not as a 2-player with hubby only. Alea Iacta Est looks fun as well as Castles of Burgundy. I'll try these and others if I have the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiden0 wrote:
+a million for Troyes.

Troyes might be my kind of game,as I do prefer heavier games. I'd like to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.