Lee Stanford
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Tulach from WotC had a table at PAX where he was running two-person demos of Dungeon Command with near-final copies of the game that he had just received from manufacturing earlier this week. He said they were the only two copies in the US.

The packaging and minis are quite nice. From what I could tell, the minis were all old D&D minis sculpts, but with new paint jobs. The painting is at least as good as the rares were in the last few sets of D&D minis. Each faction is painted in a common color scheme which helps to quickly visually distinguish your minis from the opponent.

The box itself has plastic inserts for each of the minis, plus space for the cards and tokens. Easily keeps the components organized and quickly put away.

As a bonus, there are stat cards included for all the minis so that you can use them in the D&D Boardgames (Ashardalon, Ravenloft, & Drizzt).

The game itself was really fun, and quick to learn/play. I played the Drow faction, and Zev Shlasinger (from Z-Man Games) played the Cormyr faction. Only took Chris a few minutes to explain the basic concepts to us, and we were off and running. Gameplay itself is 2 parts minis, one part cards. The minis are moved around the board tactically (the maps are quite good too) and there are cards with stats for each mini, plus a deck of powers that you can use to modify attacks, moves, reactions to enemy actions, etc. So there's two levels of strategy - map tactics of the minis, plus card tactics of your hand.

I'm sure someone else will have a more detailed report, I just wanted to get this down before bed and I forget everything. If you have any specific questions please ask and I'll attempt to answer. Keep in mind that this was a 1 hour, 1st time demo, so I only saw a fraction of the various options.

I will say that I'm definitely picking up both factions the day they come out in July, and I'm eagerly looking forward to playing this again as soon as I can.

P.S. Here's one fairly blurry pic my friend took while I was playing.

[IMG][/IMG]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like full-color art on the cards, very nice!

The tiles look like they could be used as special objective or chamber tiles for the adventure games, with the same interlocks on at least some sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report.

Can you explain the function of the big cards with the pictures of characters and the two tracking chits on them? We don't find anything similar in the play-test version. And what does the writing on these cards describe?

In these photos, the tiles do look very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing the pic above to the one posted on twitter, one side of the tiles appear similar to the play test tiles (with diagonal walls that would have been problematic for the adventure games) and the other side is a nice nod to the adventure games with more blocky features.

It would be a smart move on Wizard's part if they were to release free scenarios showing how these monsters and tiles can be integrated with the adventure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not rules but some recommended balanced alternate map setups with the AS tiles would certainly be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The adventure games didn't do much for me but this looks very promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Rippe
Sweden
Alvangen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Stanford
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morale only goes down when your models die (as far as I know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Stanford
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point. I wonder if we skipped any rules during the demo. These sort of demos are pretty quick and not everything gets covered (for example we skipped the map setup phase), it's more to get a feel for the game than to do a thorough review.

Really hoping someone else who played the demo chimes in at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I though with out the dice it was a bit mechanical move in to range and know you do 5 damage, though some things can counter this and the cards are kinda memior 44 like i might not be able to move or counter..
but i've only had a very quick look and the tiles they used are more open then the ones i used to test.
to be honest i'm more interest in D&D figures and maps , but i'd like good game as well
id love to know what other packs they have coming and how the will change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.