Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of the SPI and Avalon Hill rules. Does anyone have an opinion on which set works better?

We pulled the game out and started playing a two player game yesterday, and it turns out that even the Random Events chart is different.

Did AH improve the game, make it worse, or just a bit different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the AH version, but I suspect that it is superior to the SPI version from past experience with SPI to AH remakes. IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the tables in the AH version are upside down. Can't recall off the top of my head which ones but the games are otherwise mostly identical - see http://www.amarriner.com/conq/ for lots of neat info. You need to adjust the tables or modifiers in the AH version in order for it to work properly. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More specifically to my previous post - http://www.amarriner.com/conq/diffs.html?PHPSESSID=b5ede8cbe...
lists all differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gariboldi
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ross, this also clarifies the different between SPI and AH that I think causes a lot of confussion when playing the AH rule set, the rules for movement point cost for embark/debarking. In AH version it costs nothing while SPI it cost 3MP. The only other movement cost apart from 1MP for general movement in AH is the 3MP for voyagers of discoveries.

I guess it is because the Explorer/colonists/soldiers have to sail/walk/march around a bit in the right hex to discover what they are looking for.

It maybe only a small difference between versions, but has been a stumbling block for a more than a few people learning the AH game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
The biggest change is that the AH version adds Portugal as a fourth player.

Rules for Portugal and the German Bankers (5th player) were included in the SPI version (or at least they were in the S&T magazine edition I have, don't know about the boxed version), but you had to make up your own counters for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the SPI version, the locations of the treasure cities were fixed. In the AH version, there's an optional rule to make them variable and unknown.

I think this was a very good change. When we played the SPI version players always made a bee-line for the treasure cities.

Both versions include random events that force a player to wander aimlessly looking for a treasure city that isn't there, either El Dorado or Cibola. With the AH rule, this even is unnecessary and I know play it as "no event". Players will spend time searching for cities that aren't there more naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not a rules change, but AH made two important changes to the counter mix:

1. AH's counters are blank on the back. SPI's are two-sided. In the SPI version, counters have colonists on one side and soldiers on the other, while AH has separate counters for each. Explorers have other explorers on the back -- with non-overlapping turns of use in the game. All of this makes little difference to play. The one thing that does make a difference is that in the SPI version, missionaries had a question mark for the rating on one side and an actual number on the other. When you first get a missionary, you don't know his rating. In the AH version they say to place them upside down, but as the back is blank, this is a little awkward.

2. And the most important change AH made to the game, a bizarre and terrible decision: In the SPI version, the gold markers are colored yellow and gold, which rather makes sense. In the AH version, they're black and white. Couldn't they find any gold-colored ink at AH? It was a nice little touch for the gold to look, like, gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig Forster
msg tools
Lost my AH rules. Is there a away to get a copy on the internet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.