Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Llahs Ramde
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a long, involved two-player game with an epic scope to play with my wife. I know there are plenty of good wargames that fall into that category, but my wife isn't really into that. I've been looking at Descent (including The Road to Legend) and Middle-Earth Quest...but it doesn't need to be medieval fantasy. Space games like Twilight Imperium and Dune/Rex sound fun, but take more than two players.

I'm pretty much open to any kind of suggestions for a game that takes over 2 hours and leaves you feeling like you have good stories to tell when it's over. Games with a good finale at the end, rather than just a time limit and counting up Victory Points, is a plus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Me too.

I looked a Twilight Imperium but it is minimum 3 players. I was thinking of Eclipse but the 2-player recommendations are sort of meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mage Knight Board Game is definitely your answer! Plays competitive all different ways, and is good co-op, and feels epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn
War of the Ring
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

Merchant of Venus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan... Has an epic feel and can last a long time if you don't risk your Titan. Not sure if it counts as a wargame though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't recommend enough:

Twilight Struggle

Epic in it's length, stories afterwards, and repeat ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been great suggestions so far. I'll add my big +1's for:

Earth Reborn
War of the Ring
Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring and Twilight Struggle are definitely worth looking up. You might also want to consider Claustrophobia or Eclipse, although I probably wouldn't pick up Eclipse as a solely two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendation for Through the Ages.

Star Wars: Queen's Gambit was one of the most epic two player games I've ever played, take a look at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely War of the Ring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Hensler
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Horus Heresy. It's epic all by itself, but 10x more so if you're familiar with the Warhammer 40k fluff and lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
A Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook league would do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the ring
Mage Knight the board Game
Earth Reborn

Of those three Earth Reborn can be the most complex to learn and play but it's one hell of a game once you learn it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my 2 cents but my gf took one look at the cards from twilight struggle and put the kabosh on it. Luckily i borrowed it from a friend to test her out. I will say that we play battles of westeros and she is into it so far. Im hoping she'll want to play mageknight but that is also a bit complex. Also we own earth reborn and haven't touched it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Runebound (Second Edition) a few times with my GF quite successfully. It has an epic feel to it and takes a while to play. She also likes that we are not in direct conflict with each other.

The base game is a little open ended but the variants and expansions can add timers or other systems to force the endgame. It works very well with 2 players but can take more if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great co-op with an epic feel is Lord of the Rings. Two hours, however, is about the maximum time it takes to play it unless you have expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars

Memoir '44 Although its a wargame.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend...through the ages & twilight struggle. Both have a lot of replay ability (my wife and i played four games of TtA in a row..about 8 hours of gaming...then capped the day off with an epic game of twilight struggle..i lost). They're highly rated for a reason, they're great games. You will not be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is a long and involved game my wife and I love. It always takes us way more than two hours and we play two investigators each. It's a coop, and is more of a story-telling epic than a strategy epic. We win more than we lose but it never feels too easy, especially if you start to add expansions. The finale itself is always tense, but it is more satisfying to win before waking up the Ancient One and having to battle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Pape
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I second (or third or fourth or whatever) War of the Ring. I guess it's a war game, but it doesn't feel much like the other war games I've played. Epic end-game. Stories to tell after each game, especially if you know basically how the books went and can comment on how your game was different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
GIPF with all Potentials where you must play all project games before using them. It would take days and be glorious! Not a lot of story, tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this list begins and ends with Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions on how to ease my gf into TS? Shes really intimidated. Maybe its the theme though. I watched an hour long tutorial and love it but cant see any way of getting it to the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want 1960: The Making of the President. It crescendos to a climatic finish where you tally up the votes during an election turn. Very exciting game. One of my all time favorites. And the cards do MORE things than even in Twilight Struggle, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.