1 , 2  Next »   | 

Carcassonne: The River II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do tiles have to match rivers once the river placemnt is done? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McGrath
msg tools
Hey guys,

I was playing River II and I found after all the rivers tiles were placed that there were gaps made that seemed to never be able to be filled.

For example I had a river tile next to a tile i wanted to close a city or say finish a road, but I was unsure if that was a legal move since the rule book really did not say.

I was not sure if it followed the same rules how a field must be bordering a field or a road or a city just like other tile placements. So if this move is not legal there is just going to be some squares you can't place a tile next to be cause the river tiles are done?

Any idea which way this works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
All the rivers should hook up, leaving only field/road/city edges. There should be no unplayable gaps.

Also remember that the river can't take a U-turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Start River tile, with one river side. Then a number of river tiles with 2 river sides. Finally an end river tile with one river side. As long as you are always joining the river tiles to each other on the river edge (and not, say, using a road edge), then there will be no spare river edges to get in the way later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGrath
msg tools
Hmmm maybe we were not playing the river tiles correctly. I think I will try it on my own and show you guys a screen shot. I will have to look over the rules again. We must have done something wrong then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corran006 wrote:
Hmmm maybe we were not playing the river tiles correctly. I think I will try it on my own and show you guys a screen shot.

Phew, I thought our group was the only one who has Carc games end up like this....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb

This is generally about what the river should look like after you have finished placing the tiles (though meeples can be placed as the tiles are being put down). At this point it's time to start playing the normal Carc tiles as per usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
polkeroo wrote:

This is generally about what the river should look like after you have finished placing the tiles (though meeples can be placed as the tiles are being put down). At this point it's time to start playing the normal Carc tiles as per usual.

Actually this is an illegal river placement. No U-Turns are allowed so the tile in row 2, column 2 should not have been placed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
polkeroo wrote:

Actually this is an illegal river placement. No U-Turns are allowed so the tile in row 2, column 2 should not have been placed there.

Hmm, I guess we've always used the fork wrong then. I thought once forked each fork was it's own river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
polkeroo wrote:

Hmm, I guess we've always used the fork wrong then. I thought once forked each fork was it's own river.

Possibly. There was no guarantee that the tiles in c3/r2 and c3/r3 would come up around the same time and the river would have been dead.

There are two scenarios here that basically would have put the bend at c2/r2 in a legal spot.

A) if it was the 3rd tile drawn, then it could only be placed in c3/r3 with the bend facing downward.

B) if it was the 4th tile (or later) drawn, then it would be placed at c4/r3 (or further downstream). It could point in either direction at this point.

The no U-turn rule is meant to prevent the rivers from running in parallel and adjacent to each other. there would have to be at least one straight piece coming off the top fork before a bend could be added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
polkeroo wrote:

Sorry, but I don't see an illegal U-turn here. U-turn means the river goes back 180 degrees towards its source, and this is not the case here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
polkeroo wrote:

Sorry, but I don't see an illegal U-turn here. U-turn means the river goes back 180 degrees towards its source, and this is not the case here.

No. U-turn means it goes back to itself, not necessarily towards its source. And the point of the rule is so you don't get situations where you can't place a tile.

If the tile in col. 3 row 2 did not come up when it did or was already in play, then the branch could not extend - as there are only 2 river tiles with roads on it. So the placement is illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you always place the junction extending to the left and right of the spring, and don't allow u-turns of any kind, then you will never have any problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
This will become invaluable during your Carcassonne games: http://mjharper.macbay.de/CARnew.pdf - it is quite simply the 'bible' for Carcassonne players. Also, be sure to check out www.carcassonnecentral.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do not see a U-turn A U turn is just that a U
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
polkeroo wrote:

The BGG description for the River expansion says you can't place anything on the river tiles:

Der Fluss (The River) is a mini-expansion for Carcassonne. It adds twelve river tiles. All the familiar landscape elements are also present.

The river tiles are placed first, after that the game continues as normal. No followers may be placed on the river so the scoring is the same as in the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
polkeroo wrote:

The BGG description for the River expansion says you can't place anything on the river tiles:

Der Fluss (The River) is a mini-expansion for Carcassonne. It adds twelve river tiles. All the familiar landscape elements are also present.

The river tiles are placed first, after that the game continues as normal. No followers may be placed on the river so the scoring is the same as in the basic game.

I think you are misinterpreting these rules. You CAN place a meeple on one of the river tiles: on a road, city, cloister or field section. You CANNOT, however, place a meeple on the river itself. (Please don't drown the poor meeples!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It says specifically that you can't place on rivers.

Since there are no rules for scoring or placing a river depiction, there is no need to say so. Therefore that phrase must refer to the TILE itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
Why some people don't understand so really basic rules?

- the river can't have a U turn (the photo HAS a U turn).
- players can't deploy followers on the river (but they can deploy them in roads, cloisters and cities).

Veeery simple. This not need more discussion.

EDIT: Maybe finishing saying that river cuts farms, like roads and cities does (for people who have this surprising misunderstandings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
polkeroo wrote:

Gronak wrote:
It says specifically that you can't place on rivers.

Since there are no rules for scoring or placing a river depiction, there is no need to say so. Therefore that phrase must refer to the TILE itself.

The problem is, you are quoting from the BGG description, and that description is currently using a phrase out of context from the rules.

The BGG Description should be used as helpful information (much like Wikipedia), but never as a definitive rules source.

Looking at the actual rules:
"...shuffle the remaining 10 river tiles face down and draw from these before drawing from the tiles from the normal game. These tiles are played and followers may be played as in the normal game with one exception: a river tile may not be placed so that the river makes a "U" turn. Followers may not be placed on rivers. Once these 10 river tiles have been played, the next player plays the lake and then play continues with the normal tiles."

In its proper context in the actual game rules, the phrase is clearly talking about not putting the meeples on the illustration of the river, as there is no way to score them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also just to add, in case people weren't aware: the reason BGG description should not be used as a definitive rules resource is that it is simply an editable wiki that can be written and edited by any BGG user. There's nothing "official" about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, it's been so long since I've played Carc that I can't remember how we played, but to me, saying "the river can't make a U-turn" is not the same as saying, "the river cannot have a U shape".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC the rules say (or recommend) not allowing an immediate U-turn. The bible is here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action...;sa=view;down=292

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
- the river can't have a U turn (the photo HAS a U turn)
It looks like it has a U turn at the fork, but really it doesn't - that's just the fork). Maybe it'd be better to say neither branch of the river may have an immediate U-turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
IIRC the rules say (or recommend) not allowing an immediate U-turn. The bible is here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action...;sa=view;down=292

gack. Can't see them unless you join the forum. Are they anywhere with open access?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our tiles don't have a fork. How do you tell River from River II ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.