Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have recently began board gaming and was looking towards getting 1-2 Medium Board games for mostly 2-3 players, with potential for more.

As reference, the games I currently own are Dominion/Prosperity, 7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, and Pandemic. I also play Magic the Gathering semi-competitively.

Of the listed games, I prefer Dominion, then 7 Wonders, followed by Race for the Galaxy, then Carcassonne.

The games I have primarily been looking at are:
The Castles of Burgundy
Power Grid + The Robots Expansion
Caylus

Please provide any recommendations you have regarding the games I've listed, as well as other games you think I may enjoy based on what I've said.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium weight euros are my favorite genre, you should definitely check out Stone Age as the first dice euro if you have never played it. I still want to try Burgundy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Puerto Rico, like right away. My continuing mission in the world of boardgaming is to find something with the same level of depth as PR, which I feel is basically the perfect amount for a medium-weight board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ChrRome wrote:

The games I have primarily been looking at are:
The Castles of Burgundy
Power Grid + The Robots Expansion
Caylus

Three great choices. You can't go wrong here, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlock wrote:
Medium weight euros are my favorite genre, you should definitely check out Stone Age as the first dice euro if you have never played it. I still want to try Burgundy.

I have played some Stone Age on boardgamearena and it seems fine, but I was looking for something with a little more depth.

dawson_osu wrote:
Get Puerto Rico, like right away. My continuing mission in the world of boardgaming is to find something with the same level of depth as PR, which I feel is basically the perfect amount for a medium-weight board game.

I figured I would wait on Puerto Rico because I already have Race for the Galaxy which is basically the card version of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus would probably be my recommendation, although I have not played Castles of Burgundy. It should give you the depth you are looking for with the classic worker placement design. I like Power Grid as well, especially for how its market works, but it has some odd turn order mechanics. I haven't played the robot expansion though.

If you want a medium weight eurogame with a fun theme try Dungeon Lords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll take a look at Dungeon Lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the more recent games, Lords of Waterdeep could be what you are looking for. Somewhat lighter than Caylus, but with more variety. It also plays very well with 3 players.

Glen More is also a very good game. Not the most original, but the design is very tight and gameplay is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been taking a look at Lords of Waterdeep but the components just seem so bland. Also it appears that it is not available on any of the online retailers I intend to use (germangames.com, meeplemart.com)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings---a cooperative game like Pandemic, but more complex (I'd say "medium" is about right)

Also, lots of folks think certain Carcassonne expansions (Inns and Cathedrals; the City; etc.) turn the game into an absolute gem. I like it as is, but haven't played with an expansions. Hoping to get Inns and Cathedrals soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers seems interesting and I'll certainly give it a closer look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our first game of Ninjato, and everyone loved it. Drakkenstrike has a GREAT 10-minute video on Youtube for it.

Euro-style game with some card drafting and battles, multiple paths to victory, fantastic components, 60-75 minute playtime for 4 players, oozing with 14th century Far East flair.

I cannot brag about it enough right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It looks like Meeplemart Canada has it now.

http://www.meeplemart.com/products/lords-of-waterdeep

You might also look into Troyes as a possible option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.