BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help! looking for new games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,
Last night our board game group decided we needed to purchase a new game with our game fund, I need your help in looking for some new games! Here is a little bit of information about the group, first of all..

-It is a big group and we play alot! 1-2 times a week we can get from 6-15 people out for games, we have no problems splitting the group into 2 or 3 (although with our finding of werewolf we have been sticking as a big group).

-The experience level of most of us is low so heavy games might be a little to advanced, but hey we are willing to learn!

-I asked 12 of us yesterday what their 3 favorite games were and got the following results.
-Werewolf scored 10
-Dominion scored 6
-Bang! scored 5
-Saboteur scored 5
-Family Business scored 4
-Tusro scored 2
-Talisman, chronicle, diplomacy, and Puerto Rico all scored 1

Thank you so much, I know its asking a lot but we appreciate any ideas on our quest for new games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance is a lot better than Werewolf, in my opinion. I'd recommend that, for starters.

7 Wonders isn't my favorite, but it's just amazing at what it does. Very fun drafting game with great components, that plays 3-7 in about 30 minutes.

Cosmic Encounter is my personal favorite game. The base game plays up to five players, and each of the three expansions adds an additional player, up to 8. I doubt you guys will regret getting this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Looks like your group like 'em light. I agree with the previous poster and would also recommend Formula D, Citadels, Shadow Hunters and Bohnanza. All are lighter games with higher play counts.

If you think your group might like to stick their toes in something with a bit more meat maybe try Railways of the World or Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Citadels
Red November---3-8 players trying to survive a sinking submarine
TransAmerica---2-6 players; one of the smoothest and, thus, lightest train games
Iliad---2-6 players; dang good card game
Chronicle---3-6 players; trick-taking card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go out of the comfort zone a bit for your group and recommend Long Shot. It plays up to 8 players and is a ton of fun. The game takes about an hour, and approachable for gamers and non-gamers alike. Another great game that is not rules heavy, but very enjoyable is Airlines Europe. Lots of room for strategy here and a good introduction to stock games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a big +1 for Cosmic Encounter. It's a much loved classic game which is very accessible but heaps of fun. Your group's affection for Werewolf can be taken to the next level here. The mechanics are very easy; the players' social play adds the depth. I agree - there's no chance you'd regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you frequently have groups of 4 players, make sure to pick up copies of Blokus and Tichu. They are both cheap and appeal to a variety of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to:

The Resistance
Bohnanza
Citadels
Shadow Hunters
Cosmic Encounter
7 Wonders

But I would also suggest:

Jamaica (6P)
For Sale (6P)
Say Anything (4-8P)
Perudo OR Liar's Dice (6P)
Dixit Odyssey (up to 12)
Wits & Wagers (like, up to 21 or something!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at PitchCar and Fearsome Floors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
Great! thank you guys keep em' coming! I am making a list of every game mentioned here and going to be showing it to the group to give them some ideas. The more the better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Douthit
msg tools
designer
We have posted a new route building game that is a simple strategy game on Kickstarter. It is called Expedite.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/49100723/expedite-a-fast...

Good luck in your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.