Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't usually have many players. Mostly I play solo or with my girlfriend. I saw Rivals for Catan and Struggle for Catan. Both seem to be good for a couple and Struggle can be played by more players. Both games have their drawbacks. Which one "is better"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivals would be the better choice.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Struggle, but I have played a number of 2p games of Rival with my wife since we too have challenges finding more players. I would recommend it.

It comes with a "Basic" game to learn how it works, then you can play with the three included "Theme" decks for different experiences.

I wrote a brief review if you want more: Six Meeple Review - The Rivals of Catan - Bringing the World of Catan to Life

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Team Ski, why would you choose Rivals? What are it's advantages over Struggle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I did considered the same thing before I bought Rivals. Here's what I concluded:

1. Struggle to Catan is like Monopoly Deal Card game to monopoly, its supposed to give the same feel, but heck, there's no dice!

2. Rivals is actually a more complicated game than the Catan board game, and there's dice!

Now I have the catan board game and also rivals, somehow I don't feel the need to buy Struggle, as for 2 players, I will just play Rivals, and for 3-4, will just play the board game.

Though I could see Struggle being useful for the quicker set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stenzel
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have the board game and the expansions and just recently picked up Rivals and it's expansion and Struggle for Catan. I would say to get both sets of card games. Struggle plays differently enough than the board game that it is fun to play as something with a different twist to the basic game. Victory points can come and go quickly with roads and knights being taken from other players constantly. You have to have a good balance of everything to stay ahead in the points to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle is the lighter one. It is good to play it once a while, but nothing thrilling. 45-90 minutes

Rivals is a very good and fun strategy game. It takes 2 hours or longer.
You are always in tension, because you are playing head to head with your opponent, and you are desperately waiting for one resource or one card you need.
Everytime you are making plans how to play it better and what is the best strategy.

It is much better than the boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm...Rivals never plays longer than 1.5 hours at our place. In fact, we can fly through a basic game in less than an hour... I'm just saying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The time a game takes is soooo very dependent upon the players, I would never trust anybody I do not know personally here.

(The time written on a box is normally the time, experienced players will need to play the game if all players know the rules and the players don't take too much time for their turns.)

I would consider every game of Struggle that takes longer than 40 minutes as too long, and every Rival game that takes longer than 75 minutes (1 theme set) or 90 minutes (Duel) as too long.

But I certainly know that there are many players that need twice the time for literally EVERY game than I do.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.