Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about rules when countering spells... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Minter
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hello, everyone! I just recently bought this game and my group loves it! However, we have run into a couple of situations where we could not agree on the rules. I would appreciate any help!

1) At one point there was a time I cast Lightning Bolt on another wizard, and the wizard responded with Pain Link. In this situation, would I also be stunned from the lightning damage? Or would I only receive the damage and not the stun? Also, if I am stunned, what should I do for the remainder of my current turn? He told me I couldn't move for the turn because I attacked that turn and became stunned, but I told him that the stun only took affect for the next turn... and it wouldn't be right for me to get one stun token that took affect for two turns... nor would it make sense for it to affect the current turn since I could have moved and attacked already. Who is correct?

2) A wizard cast Fireball on me, and I responded with Backlash. That wizard in turn responded with Full Shield. I accepted it since my counter actually did damage back at him... however, I was uncertain if you could use a shield counterspell against another counterspell like Backlash... or if it could only be countered with Anti-Anti.

Thanks in advance! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Only damage gets linked. Not the stun effect. If you are stunned, you have to chose either to attack or to move in your next turn. Every turn in which you chose to do whether the one or the other thing deletes a stun-token from your wizard.

2) If it feels crazy and is fun, do it. ^.^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irylia Corbenic
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1) you receive only the damage!
2) i believe you can't counterstrike a counter. only the anti-anti works for this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Ng
Australia
Hawthorn 3122
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Ayanami Rei
mbmbmbmbmb
2) Full Shield states "Cancel 1 target spell targeting you as it is cast."
It seems like Backlash targets attack spells, not wizards, so it won't work? (I'm not totally sure)

Shield would work though, as it reduces the damage from any source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD GMD
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Pain link only bounces damage not effects or kind of damage. You are stunned when you removes one stun counter (in your time passes phase), so in your current turn you aren´t stunned.

A counter can be casted when it trigger let it. I didn´t have the cards now but if Backlash targets attack spells (i think it does) full shield can´t trigger.

For more look at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/834671/rules-review-going-in..., Counter´s and its triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.