Subject: Thalin Q and Forest Snare Q rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert R
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Thalin's ability kills an enemy right when it's revealed, if that enemy had the Surge or Doomed keywords or a "when revealed" effect, do they still trigger?

If an engaged enemy has Forest Snare on it, during the combat phase does it get a shadow card? Can it still be attacked even if it can't attack?

If an engaged enemy with a dealt but unrevealed shadow card is rendered unable to attack, what happens to it's shadow card?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen both these questions asked in various places.

The consensus seems to be...

An engaged enemy with forest snare is dealt a shadow card but that card is never revealed and is discarded at the end of the attack phase. Alternatively you may choose not to assign the shadow card in the first place. It doesn't seem to matter unless the encounter deck is about to run out and subsequent engaged enemies would then not have any encounter cards left to be used as shadow cards.

As for Thalin, according to the errata as I interpret it, the keywords do NOT trigger.

Now for someone more knowledgeable to show up and correct me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Thalin kills an enemy using his ability, their keywords and effects are not applied. This has been addressed in the FAQ:

LOTR FAQ Version 1.2 wrote:
Thalin
When an enemy card is revealed from the encounter deck, Thalin’s ability resolves before any keyword or “When Revealed” card effects on the encounter card.

A snared enemy still gets a Shadow Card dealt to them (see also this thread and this thread).

Unused Shadow Cards are simply discarded after combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
Alternatively you may choose not to assign the shadow card in the first place. It doesn't seem to matter unless the encounter deck is about to run out and subsequent engaged enemies would then not have any encounter cards left to be used as shadow cards.

If the encounter deck runs out before subsequent enemies are dealt a shadow card, you would reshuffle the discard pile to create a new encounter deck. So the subsequent enemies would still be dealt a shadow card.

However, there are other situations where it could very well matter whether or not you deal a shadow card to a 'snared' enemy. For example, in Hunt for Gollum the dealt shadow card could be a Clue objective, in which case it gets discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure?

From the rulebook page 18:

"If the encounter deck runs out of cards, any enemies that have not been dealt shadow cards are not dealt shadow cards this round. An empty encounter deck only resets during the quest phase."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
Alternatively you may choose not to assign the shadow card in the first place.

The game rules are clear that you may NOT do this.

dougtempel wrote:
If the encounter deck runs out before subsequent enemies are dealt a shadow card, you would reshuffle the discard pile to create a new encounter deck.

The game rules are ALSO clear that you may not do this, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
Are you sure?

From the rulebook page 18:

"If the encounter deck runs out of cards, any enemies that have not been dealt shadow cards are not dealt shadow cards this round. An empty encounter deck only resets during the quest phase."

Oh, I guess it helps if you read the rulebook blush

I didn't know that. I guess it hasn't really come up too often, but it's good to know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.