Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have a defective copy, or is there a reason you can buy both Green and Orange cubes in the market but there's no purple tile?

I looked through the different Cathedral tiles and it seems Purple isn't worth any more points than the other colors, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to make it harder to acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
Do I have a defective copy, or is there a reason you can buy both Green and Orange cubes in the market but there's no purple tile?

I looked through the different Cathedral tiles and it seems Purple isn't worth any more points than the other colors, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to make it harder to acquire.

This is on purpose. The only way to get it is to mix it.

ETA: Purple is associated with royalty since it was expensive to come by at that time. So it makes thematic sense. Without pulling out the game, I thought Purple was associated with more points - or at least present on the higher value tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
RhodesN7 wrote:

This is on purpose. The only way to get it is to mix it.

ETA: Purple is associated with royalty since it was expensive to come by at that time. So it makes thematic sense. Without pulling out the game, I thought Purple was associated with more points - or at least present on the higher value tiles.

I may have miscounted how many points Purple tiles were worth. I thought they equaled the same as Green or Orange.

It is interesting that you can't buy purple in the market but it's not any harder to mix. Seems to me that if you should be able to buy it just as easy as you can mix it. Thematically speaking, it's not like the market sellers don't know how to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, if you look carefully at the cathedral tiles, you'll notice that the VPs on the tiles correspond to the value of the color cubes, which is:

yellow / red / blue = 1 VP each
orange / green = 3 VPs each
purple = 5 VPs
pink = 10 VPs
brown = 14 VPs

So that's it: purple is more valuable than either orange and green and can only be obtained by mixing other colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:
Actually, if you look carefully at the cathedral tiles, you'll notice that the VPs on the tiles correspond to the value of the color cubes, which is:

yellow / red / blue = 1 VP each
orange / green = 3 VPs each
purple = 5 VPs
pink = 10 VPs
brown = 14 VPs

So that's it: purple is more valuable than either orange and green and can only be obtained by mixing other colors.

Great. This solves the problem for me. Thank you for information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. Incidentally, this point system is almost identical to the one you'll find in Stone Age: to get a hut tile you have to spend resources and you get exactly the value of those resources (wood = 3, brick = 4, stone = 5, gold = 6)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Earl
Thailand
Koh Samui
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The higher value of purple is also demonstrated by the increased VP awards for the purple Bishop's Request tiles, if you play with this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.