Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Rigby
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all. I feel kinda dumb for needing to post this question, but it's been bugging us...

The endgame for Adventure 2 in CR says that you must defeat all monsters that appear in the Chapel and acquire the Icon of Ravenloft.

Does that mean we're actually not responsible for getting it out again? The story that goes with the scenario seems pretty clear that the goal is to get the McGuffin to the person who sent us in in the first place, and that would imply needing to leave the dungeon with it again. The scenario never explicitly says to get out, but... really?

Also, since I'm here, one playthrough of the scenario included an Encounter card that caused additional monsters to spawn from within the Chapel tile in the middle of that final battle. Must those now be defeated to satisfy the winning conditions?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Don't interpret the wording (unless you want to of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah man, monsters spawning on the chapel tile, that's just brutal!!!!! you can't make that stuff up lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By rule you only have to claim the Icon to win.

but...

Any Die-Hard Dungeon Delving DnD fan will tell you it ain't yours till you get out of the dungeon bitches... so START RUNNING!!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried a couple games where you had to exit the dungeon to win. Our verdict, it was silly. Once you got what you needed, it was incredibly trivial to just double-move and stay way ahead of the monsters and leave in two turns.

Also, there is the game when one or even two or three heroes are down to 0HP, but the last remaining Hero accomplishes the goal and wins the game. I.e. if the game isn't won on this turn, the game is over. I love those games, very tense, dramatic, exciting. If you have to run out too, those games would never happen, you would just lose. The chances of getting attacked on the way out and being down to 0HP are very slim.

I prefer the climactic battles at the end to a boring run to the door.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In WoA, shield tokens are placed on Monster cards to mark Monsters which are placed by a Chamber event, and only those monsters need to be defeated to win the adventure. I would house rule a similar condition to the Icon of Ravenloft adventure — only the Monsters initially placed in the Chapel need to be defeated.

The only problem I've found with marking the target Monsters by their cards in this manner is that if other copies of those Monsters are in play, it's possible to defeat the Monster which spawned in the target area without claiming the required Monster card or vice-versa to defeat another copy of the Monster and claim the Monster card that lets you win. So you may instead want to place some kind of token next to or under the actual figures of Monsters that need to be defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T E
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
We tried a couple games where you had to exit the dungeon to win. Our verdict, it was silly. Once you got what you needed, it was incredibly trivial to just double-move and stay way ahead of the monsters and leave in two turns.

Don't forget that each hero draws an encounter card in the villain phase, once the chapel tile is drawn.

I played this adventure this weekend. We always play it the way that the heroes have to exit the dungeon, even though the winning conditions for this adventure doesn't state this. This time around though, our mage had teleportation, so exiting the dungeon was a a cake walk. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apeekaboo wrote:
so exiting the dungeon was a a cake walk. meeple

I still contend that with the Ravenloft tiles, it's *always* a cake walk. CR's tiles rarely have blocking passageways and our maps are almost always large squares (more or less), which means a Hero could get from anywhere in the dungeon to anywhere else in about 2 turns. Even with Encounters, and assuming you have no XP to cancel them, it's a cakewalk to leave the dungeon after the goal is made.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the adventure does not call for it, we sometime feel like having a "Boss" fight at the end of scenarios like this, where the exit dungeon requirement is not there. And i do agree that just walking out is time i better spent either starting a new game or killing a big baddie, cause it is sort of lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayfield
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also played where you defeated those monsters grabbed the item and ran for the hills. Me and my daughter actually used all 3 hp surges on the way out.

If you really want to have a flight for your life in this adventure, Spawn an enemy on all of the outer tiles.
You could have the text "The dungeon knows you are about to get away and the monsters obey the siren call of the Icon. Run you fools RUN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apeekaboo wrote:
shnar wrote:

Don't forget that each hero draws an encounter card in the villain phase, once the chapel tile is drawn.

A confusing bit, since a hero ALWAYS draws an encounter card at the beginning of the Villain phase, provided that he didn't explore a white-arrowed tile that turn. I remember reading somewhere that the encounter card drawn is in addition to the one you would normally draw -- makes sense, as otherwise it wouldn't be worth mentioning in the adventure instructions, but man did that perplex me when I first got the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.