Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Slow start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the Core set for this on Saturday, and have played a few times, just a quick question.

Does anyone else find (particularly compared with other FFG LCGs such as AGoT or LotR) that this is a bit slow in the first few rounds - both times we've played I've had mostly characters costing 3 or 4 in my hands, and very few 1 or 2 cost, but in the first round, domains are generally 1-1-2.

Given this, it seems like you generally only have a character or two out in the first few rounds, what do you do? do you charge for an undefended story, then allow the opponent to do the same thing? or is it generally just a lot of sitting around and building up a decent starting position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We generally put as many low-cost characters as possible in our decks. It can help to make decks out of two factions, and leave most of the 'big' characters in the cardbox.

But to answer your question in the spirit in which it was asked, the situation defines the approach. With no playable characters in your hand, there isn't anything you really can do except build up domains and hope to draw usable cards.

This 'problem' is substantially reduced once one has more cards available and can tune the decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also don't forget that you can mulligan once if you end up with a starting hand full of expensive cards, that can help some too.

As long as both players are in the same situation (which is the case if you're both sharing a Core set) then it doesn't mess up the balance. But Chick Lewis is right that a constructed deck would probably include either more low cost character or more cost reducing cards. I don't know about "as many as possible", because after your resources ramp up you do want strong characters to play too, but at least more than what's in the Core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with previous responses and sounds perhaps like either bad card draws (so perhaps call a mulligan) or if you are creating your own decks you may honestly not have enough lower cost characters. Generally when I create my own decks I try to build the character list almost like a pyramid where possible where more than half of my characters are cost 1 or 2 and the other half are more expensive. But it all depends on the style of deck I'm going after - a "rush" deck for example may not even have a single character card over cost 2.

One more thing to keep in mind - unlike the other two LCG games you mentioned CoC was originally a true CCG and not a LCG. So LoTR, AGoT, and W:I were all created as an LCG so they may be a bit more "playable" out of the box with their starter cards than CoC. If that makes sense at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside: AGoT was also a CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up until now, the only real deck-building I've been doing is to take two factions from the Core set, and add half the neutral cards (other half going with another two factions for the opposing deck)

Would the Secrets of Arkham expansion give me enough cheap characters to get some more viable decks? I'm not wanting to get all the monthly packs with this, as I already do that for 2 LCGs and a 3rd would just be too expensive. Also, I've no plans to play this competetively, so catching up on 50 expansions would seem kind of pointless.

For anyone who plays this AND AGoT - is there anything like the Refugees - a set of generic, cheap characters for each faction, all in a single pack? if there were, I think that would be a pack worth picking up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secrets of Arkham is probably the best purchase for you, most bang for your buck, but no, there is no equivalent pack of cheap refugee like characters. The thing to remember is that if you aren't going to be playing in an open environment, IOW everyone is using your collection of cards, everyone is constrained equally and it doesn't matter so much if your average cost character is 2.8 or what have you.

That said you wanted to pick up a single pack here or there to change things up a little the first pack from the Ancient Relics cycle has new story cards in it, pretty interesting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.