Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Arcana - trying to understand the Harlequin card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
after some failed search attempts on here I've decided to finally just post my question:

I don't quite follow "The Harlequin" card in the game Arcana. I do have the older version, and from reading on here I'm aware the updated version solves a lot of the queries/recommendations myself and friends found whilst playing it. But after finally understanding it all, I am still confused by this one card.

"His Arcana values are equal to those of another agent played on the same stake card" - basically, how do you determine which card it copies (when bidding for and using yourself to bid for something else)?

many thanks, rohlfo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have better luck if you post this in the rules section of Arcana...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the Arcana Rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, the player who owns the Harlequin gets to choose which Agent he copies at the moment the District is resolved:
Arcana Revised Edition Rulebook, page 11 wrote:
The “Harlequin’s” Arcana values match the values of any other Agent in the same District. When the District is resolved, the player who owns the “Harlequin” chooses one other Agent in that District. The Harlequin’s Arcana values are equal to that Agent’s Arcana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:
According to the rules, the player who owns the Harlequin gets to choose which Agent he copies at the moment the District is resolved:
The “Harlequin’s” Arcana values match the values of any other Agent in the same District. When the District is resolved, the player who owns the “Harlequin” chooses one other Agent in that District. The Harlequin’s Arcana values are equal to that Agent’s Arcana.

thanks, I did kinda think/expect that, but what if the harlequin is the only card bidding for something (guess it's all 0 value?).

Also, what values does it have when bidding on the harlequin itself, before anyone owns it? (as in, how to win it in the first place)

Thanks, and my bad for posting in wrong section!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rohlfo wrote:
Purple wrote:

thanks, I did kinda think/expect that, but what if the harlequin is the only card bidding for something (guess it's all 0 value?).

Also, what values does it have when bidding on the harlequin itself, before anyone owns it? (as in, how to win it in the first place)

Thanks, and my bad for posting in wrong section!

I'm sorry if this may sound "harsh", but did you read the rulebook? There's a specific paragraph about the harlequin, page 11, that answers your original question and the second question in your last post.

As it states:
Quote:
The “Harlequin” can be won using any type of Arcana. But each guild can only count one type of Arcana. The highest total Arcanum value wins the Harlequin.

There's no word about the Arcana value if the Harlequin is alone, but I suppose 0 is correct, as there are no other agents to copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZephonSoul wrote:
As it states:
Quote:
The “Harlequin” can be won using any type of Arcana. But each guild can only count one type of Arcana. The highest total Arcanum value wins the Harlequin.

There's no word about the Arcana value if the Harlequin is alone, but I suppose 0 is correct, as there are no other agents to copy.

I'd guess it the same way and it did not happen through our games so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers guys, I believe all my answers have been resolved (I will also assume it to be 0 for that one scenario).

As to the section in the rule-book on page 11 - there is nothing about that card on page 11 (I have old version of the game). Maybe the updated version of the game has that included, due to the difficulties in understanding this card!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rohlfo wrote:
Thanks for all the answers guys, I believe all my answers have been resolved (I will also assume it to be 0 for that one scenario).

As to the section in the rule-book on page 11 - there is nothing about that card on page 11 (I have old version of the game). Maybe the updated version of the game has that included, due to the difficulties in understanding this card!!

You're welcome and you're right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rohlfo wrote:

Sorry then, my bad: I assumed you had the revised edition. Glad everything's clear now anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook to the Revised Edition may be downloaded from the FFG website anyway:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arcana/arcana%...

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.