Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All:

I'm obviously missing something here. Played the 2nd scenario (the one starting turn 5) twice as the Republican and never got past turn 1 without surrendering.

Game 1: Advance Pompey down, try to subjugate tribal spaces. Result: He makes little headway, capturing two tribal spaces (onbe of which is later flipped by a card), and all the minor cities he takes are easily raided by the Sertorians. Pompey's army crippled during Winter Attrition. Sertorian gaily marches into Gaul.

Game 2 had a similiar result, in spite of my daring strategy to naval move Pompey to Lucullus in southern Spain.

I really, really want to like this game: it covers an infamously neglected decade or so in the fall of the Republic. But at the moment, I'm wondering what on earth the Republican is meant to do in Spain. With Spartacus and Mithradates due any minute now...?

Sure, I never got past turn one (which may well be like never getting past turn 1 in a 20-turn game of the German invasion of Russia), but I was so dispirited... Am I meant to raise a dozen legions on turn 2 and march them into Spain?

All tips welcomed.
Garry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Simon
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious what you are doing with Mettellus(Proconsull A) in Cordoba?

I've played this game once with another player and twice solo. During those time Roman replacements haven't been the problem its been balancing replacements against the crisis track.

Mettellus and Pompey have to work together in Spain.

Additionally, your last action round you should disperse your units paying attention to the support limit of the provinces.

Be prepared for Sertorians to try to sneak units into a province on last round before Winter Attrition to exceed the province support limit thus forcing attrition on both players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Stevens
Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Allen.

In game 1, Mettellus sat on his backside and did nothing, since all my cards were spent sending Pompey to subjugate tribal spaces. I got two, one of which my opponent flipped back with an event card play. The minor cities spaces, my opponent just removed them with raids. So Pompey ended up with diddly-squat to show for 6 cards, and yes, I forgot to pull him back to Gaul to avoid winter attrition. So net result for turn 1 was/would have been: zip.

In game 2, I sailed Pompey to southern Spain to join Metellus, for my brilliant new strategy of taking the Sertorian armies on: bugger the tribal spaces. Two battles, both equally matched, but both disastrous. Net result: lots of dead legions, lots of raids into southern Spain.

And all in one turn each time.

I've been playing these wonderful CDGs since WTP and Hannibal, so I'm au fait with the mechanisms. But clearly I'm missing a few key ideas here to get me started. So far my games have resulted in the Republicans blowing one whole turn out of five in the scenario and ending up either with zero progress or blown out of the water. And Spartacus and Mithridates haven't appeared yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Simon
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGarry wrote:
In game 1...Pompey to subjugate tribal spaces...In game 2, I sailed Pompey to southern Spain to join Metellus, for my brilliant new strategy of taking the Sertorian armies on: bugger the tribal spaces. Two battles, both equally matched,..

For your first game my suggestion is that your strategy is off. I don't focus on the tribal spaces on turn 1 as I consider them something of a "whack a mole" game.

Instead

1. Focus on Sertorian political control of the Spanish provinces. I don't have the map in front of me, but I believe Nearer Spain is the obvious target for Pompey. Both West & East Celtiberia can be for a combined Pompey & Metellus assault to wrest political control of these provinces. Loss of control of provinces is much more painful for Sertorius.

2. Plan your lines of troops for the inevitable Sertorian raids on spaces to contest political control of provinces away or back.

3. Don't be afraid to use Roman ability to build/replace legions. Just keep a careful watch on the crisis index.

My advice for game 2 is don't pick fights that are evenly matched as this system like the ancient warfare that its trying to represent will sometimes punish you. Go in heavy odds in your favor(and even then there is a risk) or don't fight.

Find battles where you have the advantage or wait until you raise more legions. Use combat cards if you have them. Otherwise avoid battle and exploit defensive advantages.

If not able to meet these conditions then my advice stays the same. Focus on taking political control of provinces.

Even with bad luck games, overall this strategy should keep you alive well beyond turn 1 in the games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Stevens
Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.