Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Prepearing Blood ties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a good keeper a tried to set up the 3rd scenario with objective 1B before the game. There were a couple fo strange things that i hope you can clarify:
1 If is see the map correctly is possible from the beginning to enter the underground section from the fournace room. The ladder that will appear later on is just an optional way to move through the map. Am i correct?
2 i don't understand how some of the clues fit in the story:
4B what is the word "rose" standing for?
3B how can a leather bound book with written on it the sentence "cold earth storage" lead the investigator to the next clue? What is the relationship with the room with the ritual stuff that they are going to find?
1B What is the ceremonial skull for and why bringing it back to the grevyard would give peace to the undead?
Before i rewrite the clues i wanted to know if there is anything i'm missing

Thanks averyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't answer the flavor stuff, but I'm pretty certain the furnace room is supposed to be blocked from going underground. The only way down should be through the ladder until the last clue is revealed I believe. I could be wrong though. It's been ages since I touched Mansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonlord wrote:
As a good keeper a tried to set up the 3rd scenario with objective 1B before the game. There were a couple fo strange things that i hope you can clarify:
1 If is see the map correctly is possible from the beginning to enter the underground section from the fournace room. The ladder that will appear later on is just an optional way to move through the map. Am i correct?

No - one of the rooms leading to the underground section is locked, so the only way the investigators will be able to reach the caves is through the ladder.

Quote:

This indicates that the investigators should head to the Garden. How it relates to the story, I've no idea (the clues in MoM are often a little tenuous).

Quote:
3B how can a leather bound book with written on it the sentence "cold earth storage" lead the investigator to the next clue?

This indicates the investigators should head to the Mud Room/Root Cellar, I think.

Quote:
What is the relationship with the room with the ritual stuff that they are going to find?

I don't understand what you mean by this question.

Quote:
1B What is the ceremonial skull for and why bringing it back to the grevyard would give peace to the undead?

It's often the case in horror stories that a disturbed burial ground (i.e, some of the remains have been removed, in this case the Ceremonial Skull) will cause zombies or poltergeists to appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The Furnace Room will be seeded with a Sealed Door Lock card. The Investigators cannot move through it, but monsters can. The Ladder is the Investigators' way of getting down into the caves, and is also a shortcut for Zombies.

I don't remember the Clues in enough detail to answer most of your other questions, but if I recall correctly "Cold Earth Storage" points to the "Root Cellar" room, which is very easy to figure out. It's either that or Mud Room, and the map is compact enough that you'll almost certainly have attempted to enter one of them by the time you've found Clue 3, unless you're doing absolutely no exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonlord wrote:

The second ladder is placed when Clue #4 was explored. And the ladder only connects to the ladder in Cave #2 as it is displayed on the set-up section within the Investigators' Handbook.

Dungeonlord wrote:

Probably a name written on the key you find when exploring this clue.

Dungeonlord wrote:

3B how can a leather bound book with written on it the sentence "cold earth storage" lead the investigator to the next clue? What is the relationship with the room with the ritual stuff that they are going to find?

Well, it is fluff. But probably it is a clue about all the caves underground-rooms being part of this Mansion of Madness and that the Investigators should search those rooms instead of the surface-ground ...
Second question: Don't forget that the deceased has left an unfinished building. Whatever crossed his mind that he put items at places they are - actually - not meant to be placed.

Dungeonlord wrote:

Well, this is a mystery ... But since Mansions of Madness is basically a game using the background of the Cthulhu Mythos, or in a broader sense of Horror, just give your imagination a try. Maybe the skull is for giving peace to the undead. Or it is the real remains of the story's grandfather. Or maybe it is just a link to the dread stars of Azathoth or whatever.
But for the purposes of this game this is only about a) the Investigators collecting that item and b) in order to win the game bringing it to the graveyard; and you as the Keeper may be interested in stopping them from doing so ...

Dungeonlord wrote:

Before i rewrite the clues i wanted to know if there is anything i'm missing

It's cool. I don't see why you should miss something here.

All the best!
Mad

P.S.: Cool. While I wrote my answer, some more of the BGG have answered as well ... Is this what people call "ninja-ed"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Dungeonlord wrote:

You are totally correct, it is possible to enter the underground section from the furnace room. It is, however, impossible for the investigators to enter the furnace room itself at all because of the sealed door lock card.

Dungeonlord wrote:

Never mind, nobody does. The stories are always a bit patchy, so you as the dungeonlord can fill in the holes with atmospheric background.

But honestly:

Dungeonlord wrote:

It stands for "rose", a red flower. It is supposed to lead the investigators to the garden, where previously (most probably) they discovered a locked cabinet, which they can open with the key that has the word "rose" on it.

Dungeonlord wrote:

It is supposed to point to the Root Cellar, the location of the next Clue. A Cold Earth Storage is some sort of very old fashioned refrigerator where the thickness of the surrounding earth helps keep a low temperature even in summer to keep for example roots fresh (to a certain degree). It is commonly located below the earth, in a cellar.

Dungeonlord wrote:

I guess it is meant to be like this: Uncle Artie used this very skull in his dark rituals, binding the unearthly powers to its substance. Burrying it will, through the magic of religous customs or some other made up reason, release those powers back to where they came from, "undoing your uncle's mistakes". (see objective)

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.
I made 2 more obstacles and revised the clues for objective 1B. I will post them when they are done with the explanations for who is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.