Subject: I want to find games that play nothing like my current favorites rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm just a casual gamer, looking for new games (game types) to play. Below are my current favorites or ones I really enjoyed.

Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
Cosmic Encounter
Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
The Resistance
Cyclades
Magic the Gathering

I usually browse the top 300 games, geeklists, and recommendations, but I thought I would go ahead and ask...

What games should I try that play nothing like my favorites?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Route Building
Steam

Money Management/Auction
Power Grid

Wargame
Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those games are these types which can be found in the top 300:

Dexterity: Crokinole or PitchCar
Trick-taking or dump-your-hand card games: Mü & Lots More or Tichu
Area-majority: El Grande or China
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paolojackson wrote:
I'm just a casual gamer, looking for new games (game types) to play. Below are my current favorites or ones I really enjoyed.

Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
Cosmic Encounter
Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
The Resistance
Cyclades
Magic the Gathering

I usually browse the top 300 games, geeklists, and recommendations, but I thought I would go ahead and ask...

What games should I try that play nothing like my favorites?

I really applaud this question. What a great way to expand your horizons rather than just seeking out more of the same.

Puerto Rico is a bit like Dominion, in that it involves engine building, and a bit like RftG, in that it involves role selection. However it is a very different game otherwise, and absolutely one of the best.

War of the Ring (First Edition) is a very good game and very different from the ones you listed. It's a large-scale fantasy war game.

Ladder-building or trick-taking card games might fit the bill, too. Tichu is well-loved, and I enjoy Haggis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the euro-game side of things I would recommend:

Stone Age (worker placement) -I think this game is on par with Settlers for universal appeal. I see you have Agricola on your wishlist already, however I think Stone Age is more accessible for the more casual gamer(if that is who you normally game with)

El Grande(area majority) -This one isn't as universal in appeal as Stone Age was in my circles, there may be other area majority games that are (I am still fairly new in this hobby myself), Stefan Feld apparently has a lighter Area Majority game coming out this year called Rialto that you can keep your eye out for if area majority sounds interesting to you

RA(auction)- Everyone needs a good auction game! Other good auction games are For Sale(filler) and Strasbourg(heavier than RA that also has resource management element to it). RA however seems to be the most accessible of the three mentioned here

Macao(unique mechanics)- Take this recommendation the least seriously as this is one of my favorite games. It has a whole bunch of mechanics meshed together, the central one being a crazy dice/windrose mechanic. Another game I stumbled upon similar to this is World Without End. These are games that just seem to throw a bunch of crazy and innovative mechanics together in one game.

Hope this helps a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An awesome collection of games, but not a single co-op to be found. I suggest Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Arkham Horror. Defenders of the Realm can also be a nice compromise between these two.

How about a racing game? Road Kill Rally doesn't seem to get much love on these forums, but I kind of like it. Also, Snow Tails looks kind of interesting and wacky.

Also +1 for everything CarlG said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thumbsup for Power Grid. Very good game that plays very different from the games you listed (at least the ones with which I am familiar).

I also didn't notice any worker placement and would concur with an earlier post that Lords of Waterdeep would be a great place to start for that type of game.

I would also recommend Wiz-War (eighth edition) (great chaotic fun) and Claustrophobia (very enjoyable AT game) as long as you don't mind it being 2 player its a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One type that hasn't been mentioned is perfect-information games. (The term "abstracts" is often applied, but some perfect-information games have themes, and some themeless games have random elements -- see Ingenious.)

"Perfect information" means no luck, and nothing hidden. Hey, That's My Fish! is a great 2-4 player game, recently re-released in a small and very reasonably priced edition. Other multiplayer perfect-information games are Blokus and Terra Nova.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Scrabble doesn't play anything like these either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter newland

Lynnwood
Washington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Detroit Cleveland Grand Prix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look into some abstract strategy games (Gipf series and Blokus are two of note), wargames, or something like 7 Wonders. Martin Wallace's stuff would be good also. Heck, I could say you can check out some of my designs also:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/8933/richard-hutn...

Edit: Another to look at, Twilight Struggle, 1960: The Making of the President, or Founding Fathers

I would also add something like 6 nimmt! or a game like Dixit or Attribute.

You also have puzzle and deduction, which has some worth looking into like:
Ricochet Robots or Zendo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker

Real-time spaceship building doesn't look like any of your current favorites to me.

Pretty obvious, I guess, as GT is a pretty unique beast and so could answer have answered your question regardless of which games you listed above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to do is try the games out on free on sites like Brettspielwelt.de to see what you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Space Alert
Dungeon Lords
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Battles of Westeros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
Defenders of the Realm
+1 Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium....

Its casual.. just need a sleeping bag...

and food..

and 12 hours of your life.. but hey..whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Galaxy Trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
On the euro-game side of things I would recommend:

Stone Age (worker placement) -I think this game is on par with Settlers for universal appeal. I see you have Agricola on your wishlist already, however I think Stone Age is more accessible for the more casual gamer(if that is who you normally game with)

El Grande(area majority) -This one isn't as universal in appeal as Stone Age was in my circles, there may be other area majority games that are (I am still fairly new in this hobby myself), Stefan Feld apparently has a lighter Area Majority game coming out this year called Rialto that you can keep your eye out for if area majority sounds interesting to you

RA(auction)- Everyone needs a good auction game! Other good auction games are For Sale(filler) and Strasbourg(heavier than RA that also has resource management element to it). RA however seems to be the most accessible of the three mentioned here

Macao(unique mechanics)- Take this recommendation the least seriously as this is one of my favorite games. It has a whole bunch of mechanics meshed together, the central one being a crazy dice/windrose mechanic. Another game I stumbled upon similar to this is World Without End. These are games that just seem to throw a bunch of crazy and innovative mechanics together in one game.

Hope this helps a bit!

Great suggestions here. But I would also add Kingdom Builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World
Hansa Teutonica
Macao

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Lords of Waterdeep sounds pretty cool. Definitely going to give that a look.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue as well. I have Pandemic and got stale after 10+ plays. By the time I got the expansion, it was difficult to get the game out on the table. I really need to give that a try though. Also looking at Battlestar Galactica and Arkham Horror.

Not sure why I have ZERO war games...Memoir '44 has always looked fun, but Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! Kursk 1943 has some selling points that interest me. Maybe it's the them or the time it takes to play them (in my head they seem long).

In fact, any games that last longer than 90 minutes are a hard sell to the people I most often play games with. That doesn't mean I won't try to acquire those games. Dominant Species comes to mind. I even own Twilight Struggle and haven't played it yet soblue

Dexterity games, I had never even thought of but PitchCar looks like fun.

Anyways, love all the suggestions, really deep games are awesome, short fillers are equally as awesome. Just trying to see what all is out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.